Dan's A to Z

Dan Gould

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's hoping that none of have to actually eat shit, much less die in conjunction with doing so. But there's something I've long wondered about - if you eat shit and DON'T die, what do you eventually shit out? Shit? Well, yeah, probably, but wasn't it already shit in the first place? Shouldn't it be something else after the second ailimentary runthrough? Like "refined shit", or "cleansed shit", or even "partially purified shit"?

If we can put a man on the moon, surely we can figure this out!

You know Jim there is a condition of the gastro-intestinal tract called an "ileus". I had the pleasure of having such in what was thankfully a minor case (not what I thought at the time tho). An advanced form of it can cause fecal vomiting. I guess that is generally what you are saying but only backwards. Not to be confused with scat singing as you may read:

Ileus

(n.) A morbid condition due to intestinal obstruction. It is characterized by complete constipation, with griping pains in the abdomen, which is greatly distended, and in the later stages by vomiting of fecal matter. Called also ileac, / iliac, passion.

If we wait around until Dan get's up to N or Z then we can read his comments of the John Zorn / Naked City composition "Jazz Snob Eat Shit!" :rsmile:

One couldn't exactly describe Dan's tastes as overly adventurous, but really we don't know much unless we know what he's got on vinyl as well.  I suppose some of the "essentials" are on vinyl...

Also bear in mind that since they are stored separately, Mosaic sets and anything that didn't come in a standard jewel box are not included either.

Why not play over your boxed cd sets as well? Or perhaps you've already explained why not on your initial post. (Can't remember.)

I repeat that this thread is interesting.

Now if 7/4 would stop his crude efforts to build up post count...

Won't take long for Couw to jump in on that game... ;) -_-

One couldn't exactly describe Dan's tastes as overly adventurous, but really we don't know much unless we know what he's got on vinyl as well.  I suppose some of the "essentials" are on vinyl...

Also bear in mind that since they are stored separately, Mosaic sets and anything that didn't come in a standard jewel box are not included either.

Why not play over your boxed cd sets as well? Or perhaps you've already explained why not on your initial post. (Can't remember.)

No, the things is, around the time I started this, I grabbed all of my mini-LPs for the car, and since then I've been cycling through about half of my Mosaics. So, this will definitely be limited to those jewel box CDs that I've switched into the three ring binders.

More Benny Carter:

Harlem Renaissance

Another Time, Another Place (with Phil Woods)

My Man Benny, My Man Phil (also with Woods)

In The Mood for Spring

Meets Oscar Peterson

Legends

Tickle Toe

American Jazz Orchestra

All of Me (Bluebird)

Cookin' At Carlos I

More Cookin' (anyone know how this one came about? I never knew that a second set existed, and this one is on Jazz Heritage. I wonder if it was licensed to them as an exclusive? Anyway, glad I stumbled across it at the used CD place!)

Montreux '77

Cosmopolite

The Verve Small Group Sessions

The King

My Kind of Trouble

Songbook

Songbook II

A Gentleman and His Music

(What a terrific way to end the work week, with a front line of Scott Hamilton, Joe Wilder, and Benny, and Gene Harris leading the rhythm section. This is a five star recording, no question.)

A Gentleman and His Music

(What a terrific way to end the work week, with a front line of Scott Hamilton, Joe Wilder, and Benny, and Gene Harris leading the rhythm section. This is a five star recording, no question.)

Had forgotten about that one. What a great album this is! Will have to give it a fresh relisten.

I agree with Connaisseur and others and find this thread quite fascinating...

Go ahead, Dan!

Terri Lynn Carrington:

And Friends (thanks again, Barak! The girl is like 17, 18 years old and plays her butt off)

Serge Chaloff

Blue Serge

Joe Castro:

Lush Life (on some obscure LA label, I paired it up with the equally obscure Don Goldie Verve LP, Trumpet Exodus)

Jazz Funk Soul

Joe Chambers:

Mirrors

Paul Chambers:

1st Bassman

Go

Quintet

Chamber's Music

Whims of Chambers

Eddie Chamblee

Blowing in Paris

Doodlin'

Ray Charles

Best of (the Atlantic Years)

Blues + Jazz

Genius + Soul=Jazz/My Kind of Jazz

Two disc live private recording, from Italy in the early 90s, the last 25 minutes is Ray with BB King and the Gene Harris Super Band. Too bad Gene only solos on one tune)

Soul Brothers/Soul Meeting - the two disc Atlantic reissue of his collaborations with Milt Jackson

Edited for silly spelling error.

Edited by Dan Gould

Isn't Dan the guy asking how all these posters could afford all the stuff they post in the "buying" threads?

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Couw, yes, Joe Chambers, what the heck was I thinking??? Guess I better correct that.

Ray Charles:

Ain't That Fine (Drive Archive, its his very first recording session)

Teddy Charles:

Three for Duke (Jubilee)

Jeannie and Jimmy Cheatham and the Baby Blues Band

Blues and the Boogie Masters

Basket Full of Blues

Luv in the Afternoon

Homeward Bound

Midnight Mama

Gud Nuz Bluz

(Got most of these at that Barnes and Noble Concord Jazz sale. Fun music, but geez, 6 in a row of this band was much harder sledding than the days and days of Blakey!)

Don Cherry:

Art Deco

Cyrus Chestnut:

Soul Food

Nut

Earth Stories

Revelation

Looks like a Sonny Clark Friday. I can think of worse things ... like actually working while I listen ;)

Sonny Clark:

Trio (Time)

Trio (BN)

Sonny's Crib

My Perception

Leapin and Lopin'

Dial 'S' for Sonny

Standards

Cool Struttin'

Kenny Clarke:

Bohemia After Dark

Seleno Clarke:

Live at Smoke (pretty nice CDR available from Cadence, got some good young guys like Eric Alexander and Jim Rotondi)

James Clay and Marchel Ivery:

Texas Tenors (rare 80s recording, found this on ebay. Of course, since no one knows what it is, I had no competition for it :)

More James Clay to look forward to on Monday, then a bunch of Buck Clayton. Other than it being Monday, the 19th looks pretty good :)

James Clay

I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart

Cookin' at the Continental

Double Dose of Soul

The Right Chemistry (co-led by Bill Perkins)

Buck Clayton

Buck & Buddy (with Buddy Tate)

In Paris

Mosaic Set (this was a trade, that's why its in amongst the other CDs rather than amongst the regular Mosaic sets)

Copenhagen Concert

Songs for Swingers

Swings the Village

Live from NYC

(the last two on Nagel-Heyer, proof that after he quit playing, Buck kept right on swinging by organizing and leading a big band)

Jimmy Cleveland:

Cleveland Style

Arnett Cobb

Party Time

More Party Time

Movin' Right Along

Keep on Pushin'

Blue and Sentimental