Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lionel Hampton discs 1 & 2 over brekkers.

Happy March!

MG

Happy St. David's Day!

I never knew Lionel Hampton was Welsh.

And Hershel Evans. And Sam Jones. And Walter "Foots" Thomas. And Tony "JPR" Williams. And Pee Wee Elis. And Miles Davies.

I'd forgotten it was St David's Day :)

MG

A few years ago there was an item on Welsh television about why so many black American jazz musicians have Welsh surnames.

I'm afraid the answer lies in the origins of slave owners and the naming of emancipated slaves. I went to a Max Roach gig in the late sixties when he harangued the English audience, making just this point about the English surnames of his musicians (Tolliver, Pope, Cowell and Merritt).

Edited by BillF

I'm still working my way through the Hodges set. About halfway through it at this point, enjoying every minute of it. I'm trying to savor it a bit by enjoying it one session at a time...one disc every couple of days. Don't sleep on this set - if you don't have it, get it now!

After this set I'll dive into the Venuti/Lang set. Have sampled some of the tracks from the first disc and am really looking forward to it...

Edited by street singer

e912654f3zd.jpgHank Mobley - Discs 4, 5 and 6

Taking forever to get through this set unfortunately. Great stuff, but little time available recently to do any serious listening. Let me also add I really enjoy the Pepper Adams session. Love his contributions!

Edited by Tom 1960