Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

MI0003612538.jpg

discs 3-5 - the Spotlight recordings plus three studio albums, one in trio and two with Joe Kennedy (quintet w/Ray Crawford and orchestra)

those Spotlight recordings were the first Jamal I ever heard (on the old GRP CD "Ahmad's Blues") and for quite a long time the only I had - but it got played *very* often :tup :tup :tup

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sweating some there ... several of the ones went OOP before I had sent payment (I asked them to put some away, needed to think over what exactly to order - and where to find the pennies ;)) .... glad to report it all arrived safely ... went to pick it up at the post office first thing Friday morning and took the sucker to work with me).

Last night:

MI0000922595.jpg

disc one - excellent!

now, Al Harewood memorial listen, including some (or maybe, eventually, most) of this:

MI0001793117.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MS026.jpg

I remember I saw Hutcherson perform in a Frankfurt Club around the time this set was recorded, with Hadley Caliman, James Leary, and Eddie Marshall - there was no pianist, IIRC - disc three of this set recalls nice memories ... it sounds considerably better, much clearer, than my Blue Note LP, which had a bad scratch in my favourite tune, Cables' "Why Not?" -glad I got me a copy of the set!

bhackett.jpg

getting my first taste ... perfect for tonight (disc one, probably disc two as well afterwards)

Mine's under lock and key 1500 miles away (I hope) :)

played the end of disc 2 again ... the one with the three vocal singers ... even there, there's some delightful trumpet/conret playing to be heard :tup

looking forward to the jazz stuff (discs 3 and 4), probably make that today's late night listen ...

Taking turns in listening through the Jazz Crusaders and Gerald Wilson sets - I' so grateful Cuscuna took pains to re-issue this and other Pacific Jazz and Capitol stuff, like the Carmell Jones, Onzy Matthews, Lou Blackburn etc. sets. So much good music to enjoy ...

Got to really crack the Crusaders box open again soon, too! Some very good stuff in there!

disc 5 of the Hackett

Mines now on its way, glad to say. Along with a Zeitlin, Handy, George Wein, Herman Columbia and a few of the vinyls.. :)

Crossing my fingers that all goes well - as it did with my order (tracking was slow, just in case ... only three days or so after Mosaic sent me the confirmation could I see anything under the link provided - but once it was actually under way, it took a mere three or four days to arrive!)