Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KGr_Hq_F_qs_FGh_Qbe_vr_BR_kct_F_Q_60_35_

My Nichols set arrived earlier today. All in excellent shape. Only the top of the box was coming off right along the spine. No damage to the letters on the outer spine. I carefully separated the two components and taped them both up. Now the lid comes off completely like on the recent Mingus set. Better to prevent worse from happening.

Now on to the music and that book! :)

Tonight an odd mixture Eddy Louiss on Dreyfus but or relevance here

Sam Rivers - Complete Blue Note- disc 2

Earl Hines- disc 7

( The Hines is a mixed bag in an otherwise strong set)- repeated listening helping me appreciate someday the more dated material ( usually with vocalists involved)

Edited by Clunky

Earlier Hank Mobley set, discs 4-6,

I was struck how good they sounded. I've some of this material on Japanese King LPs and I have to admit that the Mosaic CDs sound in most part just as good. Just my opinion , I know others have reservations regarding the Mosaic's SQ.

Now........Chico Hamilton set..... Disc 4

Not played this in ages , sad to make it's reacquaintance under these circumstances.

The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan-Wayne Shorter Sessions (Mosaic Records) - disc 1 --
MI0002187576.jpg
Specifically, the disc with:

The Young Lions – The Young Lions [(A) on Morgan-Shorter Vee Jay] (Mosaic – Vee Jay)
— With Lee Morgan, Frank Strozier, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Timmons, Bob Cranshaw, Albert "Tootie" Heath or Louis Hayes
513hdkEU8pL._SX300_.jpg
Edited by alankin

MI0001963985.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Disc three now ... love this group! Nothing against Horn and Pisano, but as far as the cello quintet goes, nothing beats the original line-up, Collette is such a wonderful musician, and the chemistry is perfect. Maybe the Horn/Pisano line-up just didn't get to be recorded in a representative way, I don't know ... but the stuff seems - by comparison - too short, too organized.

CliffordJordan-TheCompleteJordanStrataEa

Clifford Jordan in the World! Clifford Jordan in the World! Clifford Jordan in the World!

Clifford Jordan in the World! Clifford Jordan in the World! Clifford Jordan in the World!

guess I'll go through discs 1-3 and 6, maybe also 4 (the Sanders) - will revisit the Ware later (got the single disc a few months ago) -