Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying my first run-through of Horace Parlan's set, discs 1 & 2. This set is awesome so far and I haven't even gotten to the Turrentine brothers and Booker Ervin stuff yet! I had never heard of Parlan before I read a lot of positive comments about him and this box set on some jazz forums. Very highly recommended to those who are curious and don't already have this one. It would be a big shame to miss it before it goes out of print.

I totally agree with your assessment of the Parlan boxset. I've been listening to it alot lately.

As I posted in the 10% off thread, this boxset is killer. It doesn't seem to get the kudos some of the other boxes get, although I really have never seen a bad thing said about it. The trios on the first couple of discs are outstanding. And the boxset really picks up when the Turrentines and Booker Ervin get involved. Definitely one to pick up before it disappears.

Nice to see some others are digging this box too. I let it sit on the shelf for a long while before recently "rediscovering" it so to speak. Great music.

I just finished up listening to the balance of the Horace Parlan set. I really dig the stuff with Booker Ervin and Grant Green. I can't wait to listen to the entire set again!

I've been listening to it over and over for the last week-and-a-half. I find the alternates are just as good, and sometimes better, than the masters. Uncommon, to say the least.

I'm taking a small break before I re-listen to Horace Parlan's set and am giving the Jazz Crusaders a spin. I've loved these guys since the very first time I was exposed to them with "Southern Comfort" back in the 70's. The discovery of the Jazz Crusader's box set is what lead me to the discovery of Mosaic. I had little hope of assembling these great recordings before Mosaic came out with this set. This one is a wondrful answer to this jazz lover's wish! :g

Finally burned myself an mp3 compilation including the entire Elvin Jones mosaic set.

All at 192 except for one track since I ran out of disc space by a couple of MB. That way

I can take it with me to the office or play it in my car without having to carry 8 CDs. :)

I've only been listening to my 2-on-1-CD of Puttin' it Together/The Ultimate so far.

Those two sessions are awesome. Can't wait to explore the rest of the set!

Just trying out Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter Complete VeeJay CD1 on a 4Gbyte mp3 player.

It's 24/7 Mosaics in the office for me next week (in between damned annoying interuptions from pesky 'customers', 'bosses' etc :D )

Shame I can't set up a turntable there too..

Edited by sidewinder