Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

225.jpg

The Farmer/Golson Jazztet discs 3 & 4. I exchanged the Bobby Hackett set (and $49.00) for this set and don't regret it for an instant. This set is excellent and very enjoyable. I only had a couple of later Art Farmer CDs and no Jazztet or Golson so this is all new material to me. Very highly recommended.

225.jpg

Disc 6 of the Farmer/Golson Jazztet which features the Golson quartets. I really love his rendition of "Stella By Starlight" and "My Romance" is very nice as well.

<edit> On to disc 7 listening to Golson's "Take A Number From 1 To 10". I've read criticisms about the concept of this recording but it's working for me. Interesting.

Edited by mikelz777

Congrats on the set! It really is a good one... :D

225.jpg

Disc 6 of the Farmer/Golson Jazztet which features the Golson quartets. I really love his rendition of "Stella By Starlight" and "My Romance" is very nice as well.

<edit> On to disc 7 listening to Golson's "Take A Number From 1 To 10". I've read criticisms about the concept of this recording but it's working for me. Interesting.

Congrats on the set! It really is a good one... :D

225.jpg

Thanks tranemonk. You're right, it is a good one! I'm least enthused about the Art Farmer Orchestra stuff on the last disc and I even enjoy that! It's a solid and enjoyable set all the way through. I think exchanging the Bobby Hackett Mosaic for the Farmer/Golson Jazztet was an excellent move.

It's funny how things worked out though. I got buyers remorse after picking up the Hackett set and reading the booklet. Even the booklet was kind of dumping on some of the material (the stuff with the female vocals) and I wondered how much I would really listen to this set with all the lush string stuff and the unusual Hawaiian stuff. I was more interested in hearing Hackett's wonderful horn in a small group setting. As I was browsing through Ebay today, I saw someone had Hackett's Mosaic discs 3 & 4 for sale which contained Gotham Jazz Scene, At The Embers, The Bobby Hackett Quartet, and Easy Beat which were the four sessions I was most interested in hearing on the entire box set. (An octet and three quartets.) Only $13.00 shipped for the both of them! It looks like I'll be getting the best (for me at least) portion of the Hackett Mosaic at a pretty nice price!

Listened to the Farmer/Golson Jazztet discs 1 and 2.

Edited by mikelz777