Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday discs 1-3 of the Basie Verve set, hoping to continue today and finish tomorrow! :tup

almost done with disc 5 by now - the first Joe Williams session is terrific!

and as always I'm rather underwhelmed by the "April in Paris" material - just one of many similarly good Basie albums, I never understood why this was such a classic, Atomic and other of the Roulette dates are better, as is, in my opinion, the Gus Johnson material (mainly the dance sessions) of the Verve period.

yesterday discs 1-3 of the Basie Verve set, hoping to continue today and finish tomorrow! :tup

and as always I'm rather underwhelmed by the "April in Paris" material - just one of many similarly good Basie albums, I never understood why this was such a classic, Atomic and other of the Roulette dates are better, as is, in my opinion, the Gus Johnson material (mainly the dance sessions) of the Verve period.

How is the Basie Verve set ?.......I'm thinking about ordering this soon .

How is the Basie Verve set ?.......I'm thinking about ordering this soon .

Plenty of good music (I made it to the first tracks on disc 6 today), but there's a bit of a sameness to some of it. Not sure that's fair, but mainly the second band was an arrangements/textures/ensemble-based outfit, not a bunch of individuals having fun like the old band, still, let me try...

First you have the sessions with Paul Quinichette (and then also with Lockjaw) - Quinichette is great, so is Lockjaw, two very individual voices that stand out.

Then the Dance Sessions - one date with a few very nice Joe Wilder solos.

The two Franks, Wess & Foster, some of Fosters arrangements are great, he - and a bit later Thad Jones - bring some bop into the band, Foster's rather agressive/hard sound and style of soloing are great. Wess who's in the Hawk tradition is good as well, and his flute (not there from the very beginning, first he's only on sax) brings in a new colour that's pretty nice.

Then enters Joe Williams - some of the sides he cut with the band are terrific, classy stuff.

Also there: the famous (but see my comment above) "April in Paris" album sessions, a small group date with Buddy Rich on drums, a band/small group date with Oscar Peterson (and Basie on organ or sitting out on one big band cut).

So in the end it contains lots of good music, but still I think it's not totally unfair to mention the sameness...

Oh, and as much as the crowds seem to have loved Sonny Payne's showmanship, Gus Johnson (who as Mr. Albertson mentions in the liners, was ousted by other band members, eventually) is the better drummer, I think - a terrific big band drummer, while Payne is good fun and more than able, but not quite up to Johnson's level, I think.