What kind of teenager were you?

Okay, I'm guessing the majority of us on the board left our teens behind a while back...and have most likely changed a great deal in the process. But what were you like? What "clique" did you fit into...or were you the rebel that refused to be associated with "cliques" (aside from being a rebel of course..ahem)? What music did you listen to? Were you stylin'?

I'll start the embarrasement...

I was a teenager in the 80's. I fit the aforementioned "rebel" category. Hated High School, quit as soon as I turned 16. Drinking, illicit sex and other substances were FAR more interesting than algebra, let me tell you! I was also a Metalhead. Yes, you've seen lots of people like me. Blue jean jacket (with Iron Maiden & Motorhead patches), torn jeans, leather biker jacket, long hair, pierced left ear with upside down cross or pentagram earring, wallet on a chain, combat boots...and lots of drawings of skulls and stuff all over my room...and I shouldn't forget the black candles either.

Music? You guessed it. Metal. The Heavier the better. My circle of friends hated all the poseur shit (Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Def Leppard, etc)...we thought they sucked even more than the pop stuff on the radio. We liked the "bash your skull in" kind of Metal. We lived by Motorhead, Slayer, Venom, Celtic Frost, Trouble, Voi Vod, Savatage, Metallica (before they sold out), Megadeth (ditto), Anthrax (ditto ditto), Sepultura and of course...BLACK SABBATH!!!!

The funny thing is that all my friends from that era that I'm still in touch with (or are still alive, there were a couple casualties along the way) are all basically the same people inside...it's just the external trappings that have changed. Older, fatter, more grey hair, different musical tastes. But when a few of us got together and partied awhile back...it could have been 1985 again. All the old vibes from our teenage years were still there, and before the night was over we were listening to Ozzy & Judas Priest records (all very scratched I might add)!

:D

Next.....

Edited by Shawn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In High School I was in with the out crowd. Probably just like a lot of people who post here I did things then that I wouldn't dream of doing now. All I can really say about it is I didn't die and I didn't get caught. I think I used up all of my good luck getting through those years. My grandmother used to tell me what a good boy I was and my standard reply was "don't lie!!!''. A friend of mine told me at least you didn't go to prison Chris. Maybe not but I avoided jail a couple of times only by sheer dumb luck.

By comparison now I'm pretty boring. I lead a quiet life and as far as I know I'm not on any lawman's radar screen and that's alright with me. Chalk it up to the learning experience I guess. :(

I am in the 'everyone else' category, the jocks were too dumb for me, i always had a problem with the punks/hardcore people because they tried to act tuff, but they really all were momma's boys. The preppy group is, well, too preppy. Then there is a large group of simply normal people who lack interesting charactistics about themselves. I guess you could say i fit best in the drama crowd, but most of them stank really bad, so i stayed away from them too.

I am too picky about somethings....

I won't go into my teenage behaviour, not because it was particularly bad but because it would be tedious and boring. But music - anybody here ever heard of the Billy Cotton Band Show? She Wears Red Feathers and a Hula-Hula Skirt - maybe that comes from the same era - can't remember who sang it. Back in the days when we used to buy sheet music of the pop songs. The Harry Parry Radio Seven (?) - Jack Parnell - the Squadronaires - Geraldo and Paul Fenhoulet.

I was a bit if a smart ass, I guess you would say the class clown type.

I got along with most everybody, so things were pretty good as far as popularity goes. B) But it came with a price.

By the time I reached high school my grades realley sucked, at least when it came to the classes that actually counted. ;)

I caused my parents plenty of grief with me being in trouble all the time, I still to this day feel like I owe them more, so I do whatever I can to make their golden years more pleasant.

I clearly took that David Crosby song too seriously...

Apart from the hair and weird musical tastes I was most unrebellious. Most youth rebellion I saw seemed to be a rejection of one sheep pen in order to take a conspicuous place in another one. I tended to be rather contemptuous of the various revolts into style.

Hi school and after in Saskatoon? Hung with an odd collection of bright kids and juvenile delinquints united by beer and dope: drinking in the bars (drinking age was 18 and v. loosely enforced, I can remember being in a bar where I estimated the average age to be well under 18), parties at people's houses I didn't even know, walking home for miles in way sub zero tempatures, mostly standard issue Rock and a little blues (at least until I went to Reed College 'in the States'). I'm sure I was a trial to my parents, I think they were actually relieved when I started driving cab all night at 18. I'm 49 and saw some of the people I've known for 30 yr at a wedding in S'toon recently... Saskatchewan would be a good place to raise my 2yr olf in many ways, but staying out of trouble wouldn't be one of them (it's as much a drinking town as ever as far as I can tell). At least gun crime is less common there than here in Portland.