What kind of teenager were you?

I was incredibly happy the first years of my teenage years, in Ethiopia and Swaziland (especially my time at the boarding school, Waterford Kamhlaba, in M'Babane).

Then I was incredibly crushed and down the middle portion when we returned to the States to a very small Ohio town where I was "Rev. Armstrong's son, COMMA, Lon." Comma Lon was not a happy camper.

Then things picked up for me when I went to the University of Chicago for the first year or so and met intellectuals and beat misfits and fell in love (then unrequited, but still thriling) with my wife, Helen.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm.

01) I got suspended once for a week for smoking in the girls' bathroom. Fire hazard, my ass.

02) On my grade report the biology teacher wrote "[name] who?"

03) The headmaster warned my parents about the

dangerous [end quote] music I was playing and listening too.

04) I helped rip off a 5 liter beer mug in Austria once ... which then became the center of scholarly attention for about three years.

05) I got good grades on good days.

06) The best line I ever heard came at three in the morning from some totally wasted American friend who was holding one of those blinking construction site lamps, the ones you hit once and they go on, and then you hit them again and they go off ... he said: "That's the kind of wife I'd like. Talk! [hits the lamp] Shut up!! [hits lamp again]."

07) I once sat in front of an oven with three friends, waiting for the Lasagne to get warm. After about 40 minutes we noticed we had forgotten to turn the damn thing on. Not funny.

08) I got into a bar brawl once and survived, because one of the "Bullshit" (nasty Scandinavian version of the Hell's Angels) guys recognized me as the one who let him into a jazz club for free (true story). He said: "Don't hit him. He's cool." I laughed so hard that someone hit me anyways.

09) ...

Today I'm a high school teacher.

Cheers!

[i think I'll delete this at some point.]

Edited by deus62

It was the 70s.

I was the Christian Slater character in HEATHERS.

High school felt like prison. I did my six hours a day and when school was out drove my rusting '75 Firebird to my job loading and unloading trucks in a warehouse. Working with guys who were "lifers" in shipping and receiving motivated me to go to college and get the hell outta there.

Music, movies, and books were my salvation.

Edited by The Mule

Class of '88. Voted most talented. Musically, I was a metalhead like Shawn (yes, this is the same guy who went on to write Life Wish and Pre Dawn Rain :blink: ), though not quite so hardcore when it came to living the life; I stayed in school. Did just what I needed to do to graduate, and nothing more. Drove my parents crazy every year to hear the same thing at conferences: "Bright kid, we love it when he participates... but he's just not motivated." Had some good times and made a couple of lifelong friends, but I'd rather not reminisce. Too many regrets. They don't call you young and dumb for nothing. :w

Well, I am sure I will want to delete this post, (Deus already seems to have regrets! ^_^ ) but what the heck, I could be making it up, yeah, that is what I will say in the future....

Pretty damn dull. Went to high school in Clayton, a 'burb of St. Louis. A rich, well to do, very white(No joke, we bussed in about a dozen black kids, we had been all white til then! :ph34r: ) school system. I wasn't rich, all the other kids (it seemed) had new Camaros and Firebirds, even BMW's back when that was a big deal for a kid to drive(early 80's) I didn't even have a car...poor me! :rolleyes:

Didn't fit in to the rich, preppy clicks, or the rich slumming kids hanging out in the smoking lounge. Had a couple of good friends, that was about it. For some reason, the rich girls weren't interested in the non-rich kids, like in Valley Girl!

My friends all had drug problems early, (One quit coke when his nose wouldn't stop bleeding, he was 15!) So, I figured out pretty early drugs were not for me. Hated the taste of alcohol, so no drinking the blues away. But there was always street racing! Back in the 80's all new cars sucked, and were slow,(Thank God!) so my Grandma's '69 Impala could beat their sorry little Bimmers, and V6 Camaros.(V-8s might make a race of it)

I too was the boy who never lived up to his "potential" as teachers said as long as I could remember. School seemed like a complete waste of time, once I learned the basics. I have learned so much more on my own. I am pretty sure I had/have ADD as well....ooh look, a bird! Anyway, I am sure I gave my parents a few added gray hairs.

We moved at a bad time for me from St. Louis, to Jacksonville, and I never went back to school except for a few College courses..... Once I was done with school, I felt free! :)

Oh, I didn't listen to jazz, or metal back in the day, Beatles mainly......and I had short hair, no goatee....what a wuss! :g

All new (high)school and people for me in '82. I was the new-wave/punk freak with the burgundy hair and freaky clothes. By the summer before my Junior year, I experimented with booze and weed, so found myself hanging with a different crowd and listening to different music! Senior year was fun, especially all the after-school parties at my house, due to being a latch-key kid...

:g

I would say drunken football player sums up part of it ... although I did pretty well in school and had fairly decent musical taste (early punk/new wave, with a little Miles, McCoy and Wes mixed in - not exacly mainstream in Wichita, KS). Most of my football friends are currently working construction or otherwise "working for Dad" ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Eric

"Mark could accomplish anything if he would just learn to apply himself."

-from numerous report cards...

Let's see...like Catesta, I was a definite smartass/class clown character, but was also student council president (the guy I ran against thought he had it in the bag, but for some reason didn't understand the the African-American students got to vote, too...). I was a scholarly nerd in the sense that I was on the debate team, didn't do drugs or drink and got A's in class, but I never studied and dressed like the druggies. I spent most of my class time creating "underground comics" that were passed around the school. While everyone else was listening to top 40, I was the president and sole member of the school's Mott the Hoople fan club. My proudest achievement was starting the March of Dorks charity drive. Everyone knew me, and no one knew me (but that's pretty much every teenager, isn't it?). I didn't fit into any of the cliques, but flitted from one to the other fairly well, although I never got along with the jocks, even though I actually lettered. (Okay, it was in tennis; I get their point...)

Reading this, it sounds like high school was a bunch of fun. I despised it. You couldn't pay me to be a teenager again; life has been so much better since I left that hell hole behind. The best time of day for me was when I got to go home to my books and records. When I hear someone telling their kid that they should enjoy it, because "high school is the best years of your life", I can't help but think "what a complete and total loser..." Bitter? Who, me? ;)

Reading this, it sounds like high school was a bunch of fun. I despised it. You couldn't pay me to be a teenager again; life has been so much better since I left that hell hole behind. The best time of day for me was when I got to go home to my books and records. When I hear someone telling their kid that they should enjoy it, because "high school is the best years of your life", I can't help but think "what a complete and total loser..." Bitter? Who, me? ;)

Sounds like me. I hated school. I skipped school as often as I could. So many more interesting things to do outside. Read books (the Paris cafes were a good place to read books by Norman Mailer, Albert Camus, JD Salinger, Stefan Zweig, Boris Vian, etc.), watch movies (spent afternoons at the Cinematheque and at movie houses), hung out at the American Library and read through a full collection of Life magazines. Managed to pass examinations - just barely - and caught an interest in the newspapers and magazines media. Coming back home was time to listen to jazz albums. And try to go out - when allowed - to clubs to hear the musicians appearing in the Saint-Germain des Pres clubs.

When I got rid of school, the army got hold of me. So much for teenage time.

Life really began after all that!