Bad news about Steve Lacy's health

Claude

Lois Gilbert, the administrator of Jazz Corner, just posted this:

Steve Lacy is in a Coma

This is such sad news to report... Steve was hospitalized a few days ago, and has slipped into a coma and not expected to recover....

I hate have to this, but maybe all our good prayers and vibrations will reach him...

http://jazzcornertalk.com/speakeasy/showthread.php?t=5925

Edited by Claude

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ariceffron

AND IVE ONLY SEEN HIM ONCE. BUT IT WAS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST JAZZ CONCERTS EVER. REALLY I MEAN THAT. I ENJOY STEVE LACYS PLAYING VERY MUCH, ESPICALLY ON THOSE EARLY NEW JAZZ LPS. HE IS THE MASTER OF THE SOPRANO SAX

someone on the jazz corner board just posted that they received word through channels from noah howard and bobby few that steve passed away wednesday night. we'll have to wait for confirmation and i hope it's not true, but i thought you guys might want to know.

Edited by jazzshrink

How VERY VERY sad ......

I love Steve Lacy's music - a true original - staying with a "then" obscure axe and celebrating Monk's compositions before it was derigueur to do so -

MAN !!! I will miss his spirit. But will continue to celebrate his recorded legacy.

Aric - the New Jazz LPs are happining - BUT DON"T STOP THERE - Lacy's 70's LP on Saravah - THE OWL and 80's work on Hat and Soul Note is beautiful. And his trios - THE RENT, THE HOLY LA, WORK and duos w/ Mal Waldron and with Marilyn Crispell and Misha Mengelberg ( FIVE FACINGS on FMP) are all worthy.

Well, I keep hoping this is premature, although Lois Gilbert and Kali Fasteau would seem to be reliable sources. (But the Kali Fasteau communication is at least third-hand, right?). What a busy schedule Steve had set out for himself this year -- prior to turning 70 in July.

June 10-24 TRIO Japan t.b.d.

Steve Lacy (soprano saxophone) /Jean-Jacques Avenel (double-bass) / John Betsch (drums)

May 17-June 6 RESIDENCE - workshop-performance with 8 young musicians ("Traces" & "Particles") NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. USA Atlantic Center for the Arts

Irene Aebi (voice) / Steve Lacy (saxophone soprano)

March 25 DUO MAJORCA Spain Foundation D.&J. Bird

Irene Aebi (voice) / Steve Lacy (saxophone soprano)

March 16-21 The Monksiland Band NEW YORK, NY USA IRIDIUM 1650 Broadway - New York, NY 10023

Roswell Rudd (trombone) / Steve Lacy (soprano saxophone) /Dave Douglas (trumpet) /Jean-Jacques Avenel (double-bass) / John Betsch (drums)

March 12-13 BEAT QUINTET - live recording of 2 concerts BOSTON, Ma. USA Institute of Contemporary Arts

Irene Aebi (voice) / Steve Lacy (saxophone soprano) / George Lewis (trombone) / Jean-Jacques Avenel (double bass) / John Betsch (drums)

Feb 2 "Sweet 16" with large wind orchestra BOSTON, Ma. USA JORDAN HALL

Steve Lacy (soprano saxophone)+ large wind orch.

Jan 30-31 "Steve Lacy Montreal Ensemble" MONTREAL, PQ, Canada Théâtre La Chapelle

Steve Lacy (saxophone) / John Heward (drums) / Rainer Wiens (guitar) / Jean Derome (saxophone) / Lori Freedman (clarinet, bass clarinet) / Gordon Allen (trumpet) / Nicolas Caloia (bass) / Joe Giardullo (saxophone, flute)

I wonder if this hospitalization happened in the middle of a residency he was supposed to be teaching in Florida this week? A concert scheduled there for tomorrow night is still posted online... And then he was to have been off to Japan... Well, I'm still praying.

Edited by maren

Can we please have a moratorium on death? I'm getting g.d. sick of it. My alternating partner on my WFHB show passed away Monday night.

Will go home and listen to THE WAY tonight. Steve Lacy was an avant-garde giant. Heard him speaking on WGBH a few months ago, and he seemed like a genuinely nice person as well.

You can't replace these guys.