Blindfold Test #12

Daniel A

# 1 Knew this tune and the version right away, I have this LP, it is the first track. (AMG link)

I don't have that LP. I thought it might be that album because of the recognizable (and excellent) arranging but the organ player struck me as being pretty weak and I have heard much better from him elsewhere.

How is the rest of the record?

The first side of the Lp is pretty much in the style of that first track, with the brass section. Different ryhthms and tempos, including the first recording of Fischer's most famous Bolero Son, "Morning", his take on "Afro Blue" etc.

Second side is just the rhythm section, and Fischer switches to piano. Cuco Martinez plays a great long timbales solo on the first track.

Why do you think his organ playing is weak? I have the impression he used that rather extreme registration to avoid clashes with the brass, the bass, and the ubiquitous Jimmy Smith sound. He was more inspired by Brazilian organist Walter Wanderley than Jimmy Smith et al. But this was only his second organ date - "So Danco Samba" was the first, along with two Bud Shank dates - , so he developped considerably. Do you know his solo organ playing on the Revelation LP "Great White Hope"?

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, it's way past bedtime, but I'm gonna pull this one through as I don't when I will get to this otherwise and BFT 14 is already breathing hot air up my neck...

to the tracks, pronto:

Track 1: Manteca, no idea who plays, but this is damn funny. A bit crappy on the organ, just as couw likes it, almost stoopid. The FES from the previous test comes to mind, but this is surely not them Belgians. My guess is the organist leads the session.

Track 2: Have you met Miss Jones. Pianists are not my strong point, but this might very well be Hank Jones (maybe I was mislead by the tune?). Nice soft, velvety touch and some flurries I associate with him (for whatever that's worth)

Track 3: easy-po-peasy. The darkish cigarette butt band with the country tenor. Great to hear this track out of context, brilliant playing by all.

Track 4: pianist again... this swings very nice I must say, familiar tune (will go D'oh if it's revealed probably). pretty lines and very familiar phrases. my lacking talent for recognising shines through. I do like this though, save for the audience effects, are those fake?

Track 5: this sounds like Blue Note, but I cannot place it at all, must have been second half of the 60s. Very nice stuff with the added brass and the flute (what's all that anyhow, baritone, tenor, trombone?), rather unusual. I take it this is the trumpeter's date. Very pretty. piano reminds me of Lee Morgan's "the Rajah" so that would make this Cedar Walton (audacious couw goes for the pianist!...)

Track 6: another piano... know the tune, can't pin it though. Is this Oscar Peterson? nice, not killing me, but very enjoyable.

Track 7: no idea, sound nice but not special, swings pretty mad though. now who's that tenor??

Track 8: maiden voyage, sleepy time tune played in sleep time piano. I could use a bit more fire here, it starts off quite interestingly, but goes on too long and could be a bit more inventive at times.

Track 9: ouch! who's that trane wannabe screaming in my right ear! get him off! the trumpet is rather pretty, the piano is too obtrusive. overall this leaves me dissatisfied, but curious.

Track 10: the flute sounds like Laws. The electric piano suggests that as well (to me at least). this is all very pretty, but it just doesn't set my world on fire. I've tried to warm to stuff like this and sometimes it works, but it doesn't here.

Track 11: wild shit that sounds a bit like Tyner's but never really settles down. Soprano plays awfully sharp at times, or is that just the recording? This all sounds very familiar, wouldn't take it to a desert island though.

Track 12: sounds a bit like Björk really, may well be a Swedish singer with a lot of pop experience of the better kind. I have played this disk quite a lot in the background and this track keeps sticking out, without my knowing whether to like it or not. That at least proves my interest is roused and, hell what am I talking, I like it. It's very middle of the road, proabably very shallow, and most likely a bit stoopid, but I like it. Could do without the moaning during the piano solo though.

Track 13: familiar sounds but no clue whatsoever. Is this overdose? maybe I need to listen to this disk and start with this track, but I cannot find anything special in here, nothing bad either though, and probably this is just like 80% of my own collection. one thing to note: played this on the headphones several times and each time the cries around the 6:10 mark and onward have made me think the baby next door was crying. This is some sick sound! ;)

Track 14: heheheh, Rainy Day, pretty stoopid, but nice, nice, nice. This is the typical elevator tune to be celebrated by a knowledgeable jazz audience, "good arrangement," "pretty alto," etc. All true and couw likes it a lot. One of those westcoast buffs I'd say.

Track 15: no, clue but verra funnee. verra short too.

All in all a very enjoyable BFT disk that I have been playing lots of times already, mostly in the background. Glad I finally got some things written down.

And now to read catesta's reaction, I hear he managed to post this time...

Edited by couw

Come one, y'all--I'm dying on this Bjork/Diana Krall/Danish Radio Jazz Orchestra/whatever song.

When do we get answers?!!! :lol:

yeah.. Daniel please... release me from this one ! this track #12 got stuck in my car CD-P and might stay there until you tell us what it is about :blink:

Cheers, Tjobbe

Alright, here come, finally, hélas!, my answers... extremely incompetent, and ridiculously wrong, as it happens...

#1: "Manteca" - cool version! Never heard. A terriffic start for the disc!

#2: "Have You Met Miss Jones", a nice little standard (Rodgers-Hart, if I remember right). Love the soft touch of the pianist. Lots of Teddy Wilson in there I hear. Hank Jones maybe?

#3: Horace Silver? I love that just a little bit stiff feeling, something between looseness and control. Silver's a master of this. However, I couldn't locate this on any of my Silver CDs, yet it sounds very familiar, so it might not be Silver at all... Junior Cook? If or if not - very nice tenor sound!

#4: Well... I'm not too good in guessing pianists (see #2), so I better leave it. Tune sounds familiar. A good one!

#5: Lots of interesting things to be heard beneath the bitter-sweet trumpet lead. I know that trumpet player, I should think. Very nice piano solo. All sounds familiar, but I am sure I don't own this (maybe here goes mikeweil's rule #..) I think I know the trumpet player, maybe the pianist, and also the style of this arrangement...

#6: Anotehr one new to me. Again I won't guess... Like it!

#7: This is a bit too much of its time for me. Some pop tune with pretty stiff rhythm... but then there's that tenor! Wow! Could this be the man pictured as our BFT-compiler's avatar? At least arranging? Some late sixties Blue Note?

#8: Love this one! Not Herbie himsef, I'd say. Would like to hear more of this!

#9: I'd like to hear more of this, too! Again very very nice. And a good soprano solo.

#10: Another one unknown to me - but that's what's so cool about the BFTs - free tunes! And getting to know stuff one might never encounter otherwise. :tup Good one!

#11: Another cool soprano solo!

#12: Not too fond of this one. Would have to listen more to this one to be sure if I like it or not.

#13: Very good tenor, and trumpet! Then again, not the slightest idea.

#14: A nice'n'easy one. I like this arrangement. I know the tune, but not who's playing here.

#15: a stride-tango? Greeeeeat closer! :tup

Thanks a lot for this disc! Lots of music totally unknown to me.

Also the style of #7, 9-11,13 is one that I have encountered here and there, but never really gotten into deeply so far, so this was a really interersting listen!

ubu

Well, after some quick diagonal screening through all your posts...

I did not recognize #2 which is a shame, but then it hase been years since I listened to that one, and I might have not listened to it very often either, simply because there's too much new stuff around all the time...

But then I did get Hank Jones right for #2, which is, err, not bad, huh? ;)

The other one I own, but similar things apply as to #2, is the Blue Mitchell track. I listened to the quintet albums pretty often, but never really got deeply into the two last ones. I guess I should change that soon!

ubu

#5: Lots of interesting things to be heard beneath the bitter-sweet trumpet lead. I know that trumpet player, I should think. Very nice piano solo. All sounds familiar, but I am sure I don't own this (maybe here goes mikeweil's rule #..) I think I know the trumpet player, maybe the pianist, and also the style of this arrangement...

... welcome in the rule club .... :g:tup:w

In the meantime everyone must guess who are playing on track #15! They are extremely famous, BTW... ;)

I do believe he his serious. :P

I'll second a guess for Coleman Hawkins. I'm also going to throw out Don Byas as another possiblw wrong answer.

Edited by catesta

... welcome in the rule club .... :g:tup:w

I have been a member since I joined the BFT group with Sangrey's... now it's official, thanks! B)

ubu

Finally getting around to posting my thoughts to this BFT.

1. Oozes hipness, from the 60’s mambo beat to the subdued organ and muted trumpet. Off to a great start!

2. Pleasant piano solo, I’ll guess Teddy Wilson.

3. A 50’s era Blue Note feel. I like this one a lot, and if I don’t already have it, I’ll be picking this one up.

4. Nice modern piano trio. Don’t know who it is, but I like it!

5. This one has grown on me. No idea who it is.

6. This one didn’t do much for me until the 2 minute mark, and the piano really started swinging. Like it!

7. No idea who it is, and I’m not sure I’d search this one out, but I’m glad to have it!

8. Not bad, but not doing much for me.

9. Coltrane?

10. Maybe my least favorite on the disc.

11. Doesn’t knock my socks off like I think it should.

12. Has a Bjork-ish quality that I like. I don’t normally seek out vocalists, but I like this one quite a bit.

13. Nice rhythm to this one, and a pretty catchy tune.

14. Big band ballad. I generally like the big band sound, so I’m curious who this one is.

15. I expected this to turn into Yakkity Sax (from Benny Hill). Jason Moran?

Another great BFT. Thanks, Daniel, for a lot of fine listening. Now off to the next one!

My apologies to Daniel for being so late to the table. I started writing down my comments last week - I'd been away for a bit - but never got them finished or posted.

This is one of those discs that contained a lot of things that I liked (some quite a bit) but not much that really bowled me over - no new sounds that I hadn't heard before, that made me jump up and go "wow." (Which is just as well, since that could be embarrassing depending on where I'm listening. ;)) At the same time there's nothing on it that I disliked either - and that's saying something.

As usual, I haven't read a word of this thread - and I'm eager to, so on with my guesses...

1 “Manteca” – or one of them Dizzy tunes; I always get them mixed up. Love this tune and this version sounds pretty fresh, with a modern touch. The beat is so infectious and I dig all that oddball percussion mixed in with the horn arrangements.

2 Nice piano solo. Pleasant, but unremarkable. Sounds late 40s-early 50s – I’ll take a wild guess and say Errol Garner. But now that I’m listening longer it sounds like an “older” player, with a bit more stride to his playing. In other words: no clue.

3 Kinda cool-sounding, but not Pacific Jazz-y enough to ring any specific bells. Early 50’s I’d guess, but that leaves so many possibilities.

4 Again, quite nice, but no clue. I love the varied arrangement – it helps makes this a very interesting piano trio. Ah, it’s live…

5 I know some hate it, but I really dig the flute as a jazz instrument. It really caught my attention in the opening passage. But then a more traditional horn arrangement kicks in. I’m noticing the clear and bright trumpet tone, but couldn’t identify it to save my life. Maybe Kenny Dorham? But I don’t recognize this arrangement as anything he might have done. Hmmm… now the piano playing is standing out to me, so I’ll guess that it’s the pianist’s date…

6 This could be the start of… hmmm, I thought this was gonna my favorite Steve Allen composition, but then it seems to go elsewhere. Pianist really chews it up. Nice! Still, a mid-50s (?) trio session – could be anyone. Red Garland?

7 I’ve been listening to a lot of this kind of stuff lately – it sounds like a late 60s-early 70s recording that mixes a traditional post-bop sound with a bit of a pop and rock groove. I really like this, but haven’t a clue as to the tune/players, etc….

8 “Maiden Voyage.” One of my favorite modal tunes in all of jazz. I think I may have this version, but I’ll have to think on it a bit. I doubt it’s one of HH’s many versions. Lovely…

9 Taking a stab at the horns I’ll say Dave Liebman on sax and Eddie Henderson on trumpet (though I have no idea if they ever played together).

10 Flute and electric piano, trying to be Return to Forever (but it’s not them). No, then a larger ensemble kicks in behind the leads. Could it be James Newton on flute? Don’t think so as the piece is too “conventional” for him. The obvious choice would be Joe Farrell. Maybe one of his CTI albums?

11 Fine playing, but this one doesn’t really stand out to me. Fits right in next to the last few tunes though (a theme?).

12 Sounds like Bjork – I’m still waiting for some one to throw “It’s Oh So Quiet” on one of these BFTs. But no, then the icy opening vocal gives way to something a bit more conventional, though still a bit icy. (Must be chilly on that waterfront.) Singer sounds a bit like Sheila, but I don’t think that’s her, not in this setting…

13 No clue. More of the same like 9-11.

14 A nice change-up, but no idea.

15 I like this one a lot, ragged opening and all. These guys are really having fun. Could be Jaki Byard on the piano, tickling the ivories as if he were born a hundred years ago. Ah, much too short…

Thanks again, Daniel! :tup