Blindfold Test #12

Daniel A

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I really like track 12, "I cover the Waterfront".

At this point, my curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I've read the other comments...interesting that nobody seems to have pinned this down. Like the Bjork idea, but I don't know if it really sounds like here.

The chart and piano solo sounds like Rene Rosnes (who I know you like, Daniel!)--but allmusic came up empty on that account.

6- A favorite of mine - even if there are dissenters on this board! I have enjoyed the album for a long time.

Track 4 of this album:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/oscarpeterson/m3-6113-e.html

Yeah, I've never particularly cared for this album (probably why I didn't recognize it). Oddly enough, it was this man's playing that helped me when I was still new to jazz. Somewhere along the way, my interest in him fell off, and I'm pretty sure it was because of this album, or rather the fact that it was coupled with another trio album on one CD. Too much sameness for me. Just my opinion, of course. :)

3. Sounds like the Art Farmer-Benny Golson Jazztet. It also sounds like Art Taylor on the drums. Did they ever play together?

What kind of idiot would confuse the Jazztet with these guys???? :g

9. Impulse-era Trane w/Hubbard on board? Or maybe a Freddie Hubbard date with Trane’s rhythm section? Pretty sure about Hub and the rhythm section, not so sure about the sax player. Then again, I could be wrong about the whole thing, but how can you not recognize Elvin, fercryinoutloud?

Poor Trane's gotta be spinnin' in his grave right now. Again, what kind of idiot....

All in all, track for track, this is by far my favorite BFT of all the ones I’ve heard! This one’s gonna kill me, financially! A GREAT job, Daniel A! :tup:

I concur with what the idiot said! :excited:

# 12 "I cover the waterfront". Is that Björk? If so, it's the jazziest I have heard her sing. Nice arrangement. Björk always leaves me with mixed feelings, as I find that she enacts the tunes to get an idea of the feelings that inspired them, than having lived the feeling and singing the tune out of that experience. A thin voice reminding me of Bev Kelly.

Y'know, having listened to this a few times, it's actually kinda grown on me. Truth be told, my first thought was Astrud Gilberto! Really!

Are we sure track 5 is the fifth cut on this album?

I know others have answered this. For me, the flute intro gives it away. I used to have the album in Daniel A's avatar, and I seem to remember that version being a bit faster. Of course, it's been years since I've heard that version, so my assessment of it could be completely off-the-mark!

The chart and piano solo sounds like Rene Rosnes

I, too, had thought about that. To me, it sounded like a Jim McNeely arrangement (or a Bob Brookmeyer one) for the Stockholm Jazz Orchestra or the Danish Radio Big Band.

But I could not find anything similar among my records.

Luca

The chart and piano solo sounds like Rene Rosnes

I, too, had thought about that. To me, it sounded like a Jim McNeely arrangement (or a Bob Brookmeyer one) for the Stockholm Jazz Orchestra or the Danish Radio Big Band.

But I could not find anything similar among my records.

Luca

This track grows on me!

I thought about a Swedish connection and did a search but could not find anything.

Nice one from Daniel for unearthing this!

Are we sure track 5 is the fifth cut on this album?

I know others have answered this. For me, the flute intro gives it away. I used to have the album in Daniel A's avatar, and I seem to remember that version being a bit faster. Of course, it's been years since I've heard that version, so my assessment of it could be completely off-the-mark!

Now ain't that cool, luring us away from the real deal with his Duke Pearson avatar and such ? :g

Now ain't that cool, luring us away from the real deal with his Duke Pearson avatar and such ? :g

:g:g:g

And then there's track 15. Come on now, guys!! Who are playing? Brownie is on to something; I'd dare to say that they are among the most well known on their respective instruments - all of them!!!

I haven't had time to collect my thoughts on this disc yet but wanted to stop in and say that I have really enjoyed listening to it. A few tunes I know but, for the most part, am clueless as to the musicians. I still plan on adding my guesses to the discussion. It has been difficult to avoid looking at the guesses that have already been made!

I've received the disc, albeit a bit late because I'm only home sporadically at the moment.

As I've posted elsewhere, I've not been able to spend much time here (actually none at all, really). I'll make amends with my own BFT (in a few years :g ) and the Count Basie site, which is really beginning to take shape as you read this.

I love the disc and a lot of it is right up my alley. I even have a few cuts myself, I think, but I simply haven't had the time for any checking at all.

And, unfortunateley, there are a whole lot of must-haves on here. It's gonna cost big time, this one. I love it.

Thanks for a great disk, Daniel A.!

Cheers!

Now ain't that cool, luring us away from the real deal with his Duke Pearson avatar and such ?  :g

And then there's track 15. Come on now, guys!! Who are playing? Brownie is on to something; I'd dare to say that they are among the most well known on their respective instruments - all of them!!!

It's too much of a goof on the original arrangement of this piece to spot who these "well known" musicians are. The "Dark Eyes" arrangement they seem to be spoofing is that of the Gene Krupa Trio with Charlie Ventura and Marty Napoleon. Can't even hazard a guess as to who these guys are.

i´m on my fifth audition and enjoying it more & more :tup

let me share my ignorance now:

1) for me it seems Gillespie arranged by Lalo Schifrin. a nice one

2) i know Daniel loves the man a lot so i would say Hank Jones

3) this is very good! i don't have a clue about it but it´s very good

4) i´m so weak detecting piano players...but it's a nice tune

5) i need to have this!!

6) just ok for me

7) this sounds familiar to me specially the piano player but i can't narrow my choice. lovely tune

8) for me it's Denny Zeitlin. this song is one of my favorites ever!! not even Kenny G would ruin it...

9) this is amazing!

10) Hubert Laws?

11) i think i've heard this sometime and it's sooo good

12) my favorite of this BFT! dunno the singer but i need to have this and quickly!

13) Jamal?

14) Bud Shank?

15) now i feel the influence of RDK :g

as i was expecting, it´s a lovely BFT and i would like to thank my man Daniel for his great job!

Marcus

Now ain't that cool, luring us away from the real deal with his Duke Pearson avatar and such ?  :g

It's too much of a goof on the original arrangement of this piece to spot who these "well known" musicians are. The "Dark Eyes" arrangement they seem to be spoofing is that of the Gene Krupa Trio with Charlie Ventura and Marty Napoleon. Can't even hazard a guess as to who these guys are.

I'm on to nothing. I have given up on identifying these people. And waiting for Daniel A. to reveal all...

But that short track is a lot of fun which is what those BFT are about. Right?

Track 7 continues to stump me... this does sound quite a bit like the Jazz Crusaders, as some have suggested. Still, I can't say for sure. It's frustrating to me, because they were a favorite of mine back in the 70's. I had about 10 of their albums. The theme on this track just doesn't ring any bells for me, but then I still haven't heard much of their 60's output (so much still OOP after all these years!). BTW, wouldn't that be a good candidate for a Mosaic set? Maybe it's been suggested in the past. Apparently they did record some rather "weak" pop stuff (according to Scott Yanow, at least) on Pacific Jazz, but I can't find any likely matches. This tune (the melody, the rhythm) just screams 1966- give or take a year or so- ;) to my ears. That should help to nail this down, but I can't seem to do it...

Edited by Jim R

Sure sounds like Wayne Henderson on the bone and the tenor is definitely Felder to my ears. And heck, that just has to be Sample on piano. Don't have this track though - and I have quite a few of the JC albums. Gotta know which one of their albums this one is !

I have a copy of the 'Powerhouse' LP coming in the mail, wonder if this might be a track from that one?

Edited by sidewinder