Charlie Christian

Eric

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. . . I think the answer would lie in how and where you want to go. If you want to become a Charlie Christian completist, I recommend as your next step the excellent four cd set on Columbia that issues all his recordings for that label including some newly discovered items. It is pretty reasonably priced, has really good sound (can sound pretty bright in some systems. . . ) and a very informative booklet.

Although not complete, the Definitive live set collects a lot of the live recordings in one package. A good choice at a decent price. Unless of course you're adverse to buying stuff from the label.

If you want even more Charlie Christian, do check out a Blue Note disc, "Profoundly Blue" which contains various sessions led by clarinetist Edmond Hall. Charlie plays only accoustic guitar on these sessions (I can't recall if he is on all the songs). A review of the disc can be found here. One of my favourite Blue Notes. B)

The discussion group is an independent board unrelated to the CC website.

Unfortunately, Broadbent has been unsuccessfully trying to bring down the board for the past couple of years--presumably out of envy. He has, however, driven many posters away from what had been a very good BB.

"7"

Edited by 037

• 2 years later...

seems I was wrong (blame the messy threads so far on the board, I did do an Org-search and some reading before posting here) JSP also has a live box out:

458313.jpg

How does it compare to the Definitive? I assume it has better sound? What about the contents?

bumping this old one back up - question regarding the live material:

There's no comprehensive live collection of Christian, besides the 4CD set Definitive put out?

All live material I have so far is this one here:

41PHN8D734L._SS500_.jpg

You can't get better than that...

Q

king ubu, I have this one,

458313.jpg

but haven't really listened to it all that much. It has alot of Broadcasts of Christian with the Goodman Band and alot of tunes are repeated. The sound is only OK if I recal correctly.

I'll give it a spin over the next few days and get back to you, in the meantime here's the amg review;

"Review by Jim Smith

Read the title carefully: These are broadcast recordings that Charlie Christian made between 1939-1941. A majority of these shows were recorded with the Benny Goodman Sextet, but there is also material by the Goodman All Stars, the Benny Goodman Orchestra, Count Basie & Friends, and the Kansas City Six. The real meat of this box, however, are the now-famous jam sessions recorded at Minton's Playhouse, Clarke Monroe's Uptown House, and the Harlem Breakfast Club. Over the years, these have been prized by Christian's fans as the purest examples of his genius and the possible birth of bebop, and there are enough of them here to warrant the purchase of the whole set. As for remastering, the quality of sound of the broadcasts is fair to poor, occasionally good; the jam sessions, however, are mostly clean, and sometimes surprisingly so. People interested in Christian's essential legacy need to first digest Columbia's Genius of the Electric Guitar box, but JSP deserves credit for assembling this rare material at an extremely affordable price."

Disc 1:

1. Flying Home

2. Stardust

3. Flying Home

4. I Got Rhythm

5. Stardust

6. Tea For Two

7. Flying Home

8. Stardust

9. Memories Of You

10. Rose Room

11. AC/DC Current

12. Flying Home

13. Soft Winds

14. Memories Of You

15. Shivers

16. South Of The Border

17. Seven Come Eleven (Roast Turkey Stomp)

18. AC/DC Current

19. AC/DC Current

Disc 2:

1. Dinah

2. I Got Rhythm

3. Flying Home

4. Memories Of You

5. Stomping At The Savory

6. Honeysuckle Rose

7. Paging The Devil

8. Way Down In New Orleans

9. Good Morning Blues

10. Oh! Lady Be Good

11. Pick A Rib

12. Till Tom Special

13. Gone With What Wind

14. Gone With What Wind

15. The Sheik Of Araby

16. Soft Winds

Disc 3:

1. The Sheik Of Araby

2. Seven Come Eleven

3. Six Appeal

4. Honeysuckle Rose

5. Six Appeal

6. AC/DC Current

7. Gone With What Wind

8. Benny's Bugle

9. Wholly Cats

10. Honeysuckle Rose

11. Wholly Cats

12. Flying Home

13. Gone With What Draft (Gilly)

14. Breakfast Feud

15. Gone With What Draft (Gilly)

16. Six Appeal

17. Solo Flight (Chonk, Charlie, Chonk)

18. Flying Home

19. Good Enough To Keep (Air Mail Special)

Disc 4:

1. Wholly Cats

2. Ida, Sweet As Apple Cider

3. Breakfast Feud

4. Song Of The Islands

5. Flying Home

6. Topsy (Swing To Bop)

7. Stomping At The Savoy

8. Honeysuckle Rose (Up On Teddy's Hill)

9. I Got Rhythm (Rhythm -a- Ning, Paging Dr. Christian, Down On Teddy's Hill)

10. I Got Rhythm (Guy's Got To Go)

11. Stomping At The Savoy (Lips Flips, On With Charlie Christian)

12. Benny's Bugle

13. Rose Room

14. Solo Flight (Chonk, Charlie, Chonk)

Also, check this out;

Link to Amazon Review and Sound Clips

Flurin, can't help you with that. With Charlie, I've been lucky to pick up all 9 volumes of the Masters of Jazz (Media 7) releases and I'd recommend that to anyone. . . if they were in print.

I've also the Columbia box set, and the Minton's material on separate discs.

Edited by jazzbo