AOTW June 29-July 5 Warne Marsh / All Music

Peter Johnson

Gary, listen to how Marsh pushes and pulls on the melody line, one time he's behind it, dragging it all down, at the next moment, he's in front, stumbling to meet his point as if running too fast dowhill.

Warne also does the same thing with pitch.

Do you have to understand this concept to appreciate the music more thoroughly.??

In all seriousness as a non musician i really struggle with the theory of what's going on most of the time. Does that matter? I simply respond on the simple level of whether I like what I hear. I like what I hear here.

Do you have to understand this concept to appreciate the music more thoroughly.??

Absolutely not, but sometimes a recognition of the basic concepts used can be helpful.

I haven't got a clue about music theory really, but some of these things are pretty easy to grasp and I think it is pretty cool to listen for some of these aspects once you have recognised them. Appreciation of the technique certainly adds to the enjoyment, although it doesn't change the music. I still like the disk most just for that.

At the risk of sounding like I'm pimping my liner essay (barf!), it (the constantly liquid usage of rhytmic and pitch variations) really IS all about the "allness", not just of music, but of life in general. Plenty of cats play some interesting shit, but how many really, REALLY, offer you insight into the truest essences of the natiure of universal existence?

THAT'S why Warne Marsh was such a bad motherfucker!

I keep coming back to this thread, and tonight as I'm reading through it I've listened to my LP of this twice and I really like the descriptions of "push\pull" and "liquid" to describe his playing. I can't wait to hear the alternate takes on the CD. I've played the tune "Background Music" three times and it is anything but! I've always liked Marsh and this album, but haven't really focused intently on it as much as this thread has helped me to do. Thanks all for your comments.

I'd love to read the book, but don't feel like shelling out the $80 I've seen it for anytime I've found it on line. :(

At the risk of sounding like I'm pimping my liner essay (barf!), it (the constantly liquid usage of rhytmic and pitch variations) really IS all about the "allness", not just of music, but of life in general. Plenty of cats play some interesting shit, but how many really, REALLY, offer you insight into the truest essences of the natiure of universal existence?

If I'm not mistaken ... Marsh was such a bad übermotherfucker! :g

And you're saying Thom Jurek's reviews are hyperbolic?

Just got the CD today with the alternate takes. Very nice.

I really loved the take of "A TIme for Love," with Lou Levy on electric piano. Too bad the piano turned out to be defective and more of it couldn't be included, because the sound of it with Marsh's horn is great. Levy really does a first-rate job on this whole session.

Nice job on the remastering too.

Edited by ajf67

• 7 months later...

Its only taken me 6 months , but after listening to this a few times this week I really enjoy it.

I think I was originally a bit under whelmed by it partly because of my previous Nessa purchases (Snurdy, Air & AE box) were a bit more out & immediately appealed to me , the Air Cd would be in my favourite 10 CDs.

I particularly like track 5 Lunarcy.

Gents please forgive me for the error of my ways , & if I notice any more recommendations please allow me 6 months to catch everybody else up.

• 4 weeks later...

They say that confession is good for the soul, so here goes:

When this reissue came out and a lot of people on the board went ape shit over it, I will be the first to admit that I was curious about it. At the same time, however, Chuck was being a major league pain in my ass and I had no interest in giving my money to him. So, I didn't pick this up.

I still didn't want to give Chuck my money directly, but last week I added this to a Cadence order.

My exposure to Warne had previously been limited to one of the Criss Cross CDs, but after giving All Music a couple of listens, I can definitely say that I am intrigued and will be spending more time with this one soon.

Will I turn into a Warnophile? Can't tell yet, but I'm definitely glad I finally picked this up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back around for two reasons: first and foremost to tell Chuck that it arrived here safely and to thank him profusely! Second because I was listening to "On Purpose," and there was a bit during the duet that opens the track where Lou Levy plays these three chords that not only opened my eyes, but made me sit up and say "Hallelujah!" It's been a LOOOOOONG time since a song, hell ANY piece of music, has inspired me at that level.

Naturally, I feel like a complete schmuck for having waited this long to acquire it, and am kicking myself for realizing what I've been missing. I know very little about Warne (will change), and only have one other recording with him on it (that I remember, Bill Evans CROSS CURRENTS. Again, this too will change), but this has been revelatory in ways I'm still trying to comprehend. And I'm only on my first go-round!

Lou Levy! Egad, another one I'm drastically behind with. Only heard him on the Stan Getz West Coast sessions, and probably have him on something else in my collection but I've forgotten about. All I know is this is some of the loveliest comping I've ever heard this side of.... well, no one cometothinkofit!

Finally, I love the sound of the bass on this album. It definitely has what I feel is a 70's feel to it (and I mean that in a good way, as opposed to the drill-in-a-pickup-and-crank-the-amp-to-eleven that some other recordings of the 70's had).

A great record indeed. One of the few that lives up to the hype, IMHO.

Thanks again, Chuck!

Skid, you gonna say something or are you still in shock? You've been looking at this thread all morning! :g

:crazy:

Yes, I'm in shock... I can't believe you've put away all of your 80's hair metal vinyl long enough to listen to some _good_ music!! :P

Seriously, this is a great record, and this thread has prompted me to put it on again this morning. I haven't listened to it in a quite awhile.

Next up: Roscoe Mitchell and the Sound Ensemble - Snurdy McGurdy and her Dancin' Shoes. (this is another great one, Al... and there's a couple of really great Von Freeman records on the Nessa label that you don't want to miss, as well!)

Skid, you gonna say something or are you still in shock? You've been looking at this thread all morning! :g

:crazy:

Yes, I'm in shock... I can't believe you've put away all of your 80's hair metal vinyl long enough to listen to some _good_ music!! :P

'tweren't easy, letmetellyou! :w

Next up: Roscoe Mitchell and the Sound Ensemble - Snurdy McGurdy and her Dancin' Shoes. (this is another great one, Al... and there's a couple of really great Von Freeman records on the Nessa label that you don't want to miss, as well!)

Yeah, I know which Vonski's yer talkin' about, been lookin' at 'em for years (just like ALL MUSIC). Snurdy kinda slipped under my radar, but after reading that thread, well...... guess I gotta send some money Chuck's way at some point!

Well, based off of this thread I went ahead and acquired this disc. I'm just starting to listen to it now, and I really like what I am hearing so far!

Thanks Peter for the initial pick, and Big Al for bringing the thread back - otherwise I might not have caught it.