Jym Young

clifford_thornton

Anyone know anything about this character? He is/was a post-bop pianist with free leanings who recorded one record for International Polydor with a quartet featuring other Bay Area unknowns.

I recently got the record, "Puzzle Box," and like it quite a bit but haven't seen him on anything else. Google yields nothing on his name. There's also a 'Robin' Young, pianist of a similar age on the "Now!" record on Arhoolie (Bert Wilson, Smiley Winters and company), that could be the same guy. They play and compose similarly, anyway.

This is pretty obscure stuff, but there might be some Bay Area members that know...

Thanks,

CT

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 7 years later...

I don't have any discographical information, but 1201 Music is planning to make downloads available for sale in 2012 of the following trio tracks by Jym Young:

Strings, Keys and Thumbs 9:05

As a Matter of Fact 6:30

South Vietnam Blues 9:59

Backfield in Motion 5:54

Times are approximate, I don't have the most current Lord Discography so I don't know if this session is listed or if the remaining musicians are named. These tracks weren't listed in the edition I own.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I don't have any discographical information, but 1201 Music is planning to make downloads available for sale in 2012 of the following trio tracks by Jym Young:

Strings, Keys and Thumbs 9:05

As a Matter of Fact 6:30

South Vietnam Blues 9:59

Backfield in Motion 5:54

Times are approximate, I don't have the most current Lord Discography so I don't know if this session is listed or if the remaining musicians are named. These tracks weren't listed in the edition I own.

I just checked the Lord's online discography and these tracks are not included in the two sessions there.

I never thought of that spelling but a pianist of that name played every week at the Haight Levels (on Haight Street) San Francisco in 1966 and maybe 1967. Good group with Julius Elerby (is that right? on trumpet) and Sunny Lewis on tenor sax.

You might contact Bert Wilson for more info.