I'm Goin' To Da Dentist Tomorrow

I just had two ancient silver amalgam fillings replaced last week. They were so old, they were black. :) I have read too much bad press about the mercury in the silver amalgam, so I went for those glass-impregnated epoxy fillings instead. The best thing was that the dentist didn't have to open up the old holes too much.

Later,

Kevin

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got four, count 'em, FOUR crowns yesterday. Uugh. That's more dental work than everything I'd ever had done prior (collectively).

Three were in teeth that previously had fillings, but there was more decay behind the filling (still now sure how that happens).

Of course our dental insurance won't hardly cover any of it. Wrote a check for $2,300 yesterday.

I need all my wisdom teeth out too (been putting that off for a decade), but I'm waiting until next year for that. Probably another $2K down the drain there too. Again, the dental insurance won't cover but about 30% of that (which I'm supposed to grateful for, since they won't cover even 10% of the crowns).

I still fail to understand why dental insurance even exists, if they don't cover anything worth a damn at all. I'm on my wife's plan, which is supposedly pretty good (at least the health insurance is -- and it was for when I had my gall bladder taken out last year). She's a Federal Government employee, so it's a real plan. But all the dental options suck (just as they do under my options through my work).

I've said it before, what's the fucking point of dental insurance, if they don't pay for squat. :angry:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

As far as I'm concerned Dentists are the most over paid medical professionals, the prices are fucking ridiculous. I mean a root canal is really worth $600 or more? They usually take about an hour...that's one hell of an hourly rate. Give me a break.

Had to have an impacted tooth removed (baby tooth never came out so I had the adult tooth still behind it) and although it was an outpatient procedure they still had to put me under. I explained that I have a high metabolism rate and to make sure you give the appropriate amount of anesthesia, but the office chose to ignore this information anyway. So halfway through the operation, I wake up to the most unbelievable nightmare-they're still operating on my mouth! I remember screaming from the pain and I kicked so hard that my shoe flew off my foot and hit the wall! Later on, I get a bill in the mail, and that asshole had the audacity to charge me for the extra anesthesia they used on me to put me back to sleep from their own fuckup-are you fucking kidding me??!! :angry:

I never paid that bill :crazy:

As far as I'm concerned Dentists are the most over paid medical professionals, the prices are fucking ridiculous. I mean a root canal is really worth $600 or more? They usually take about an hour...that's one hell of an hourly rate. Give me a break.

That must be why dentists have the highest suicide rate of all occupations. It's the guilt.

I hope this information is of some comfort to you ALL.

MG

The only time I went in for a root canal, the dentist began drilling and decided halfway that the tooth couldn't be saved. I was sent home with a new appointment for the extraction. Unfortunately for me, the dentist had drilled deeper than he thought and had buzzed a nerve in my tooth. When the novacaine wore off, I was in the worst agony of my life. Way worse than breaking my wrist or my ankle, just unbelievable pain. I went to the emergency room and they gave me a shot of demerol--that was the most dramatic swing of feelings I've ever had, from horrific pain to not being able to feel my ass in the seat in seconds.

I should have sued.

Oh, yeah that reminds of another dentist horror story. I needed a root canal and for some reason the dentist couldn't finish the job that day so he put a temporary cap on it and made an appointment for me for next week. In the meantime though, the tooth had somehow become infected, which I learned when I took a bite out of a banana-as soon as the banana hit the tooth, it was like someone took a hammer and slammed it on top of the tooth. I never experienced pain like that. It took nearly an hour for my tooth to calm down, and of course it was a Saturday night, so I had to wait until Monday morning to get it taken care of.

I've got to say, my wife and I love our dentist. We've followed him from one practice to another over the past twenty/twenty-five years and we now live a fairly inconvenient distance away - about an hour's drive. But that doesn't deter us. I need to fix an appointment with him now for an annual check up. Daughter and grandsons also go to him.

If you get a good dentist, keep a firm grip on him/her.

MG

• 5 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Cracked tooth / exposed root

blood pressure is out of control 

they won’t do any work until my BP is lower 

BP was 250  / x 

Was told get my ass to urgent care for BP

been to UC 3 times 

3 weeks now 

BP pills are working 

worn out from the pain 24/7