Single Most Recognizable "Tone"

Dan Gould

Musicians are supposed to work for years on developing their own sound as well as their own conception. Some truly succeed, but a lot (IMO) fail, often because they are too enthralled with idols (a lot of Bird clones come to mind here-really, even if Stitt did develop independently, how easy is it to distinguish his tone from Parker's?)

So my question is, who have/had the absolute most recognizable "sound" on their instrument? Who could you recognize in the fewest notes?

It occurs to me that Miles might be it for fewest notes; my other choice would be Dexter Gordon, but you'd have to hear a phrase before realizing its Dex, with Miles, you might recognize him in even fewer notes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, there's only one and that's Bird. His tone is like no other. I don't think it's that hard to distinguish Sonny from Bird, there's just a little bit of a different sound. I don't think Miles is necessarily that identifiable because his tone changed after he hurt his throat and even if you don't agree with that, his tone from the mid 40s is quite distinct from later periods.

Other candidates: Dizzy, Milt Jackson and Coltrane.

Some great suggestions have been made, but no drummers yet mentioned - so I'll put Blakey's name in the hat. At least in the 50's-60's period, hard to mistake him for anyone else (those press rolls and his sock cymbal counter-rhythms are a dead giveaway)! Elvin and Jo Jones deserve mention too, and Roy Haynes (mostly a matter of the "snap, crackle, pop" sound of his drum tunings).

Anybody who's truly a "heavyweight" has their own, readily identifiable, tone. You can be a great player w/o it, but you're not worthy of consideration for inclusion in "the chosen ones" if you don't have a tone that is yours and yours alone. The entire purpose of this music is (or used to be, anyway) to speak in your own voice, to tell your own story about your own life (and how that life relates to any/everything else), and unless and until you have developed your own tone, you're still speaking in somebody else's voice to one degree or another. Doesn't mean you're not a bad mutherphukker, it just means that you ain't all the way there yet. And yes, there are players with lesser "skills" who nevertheless have their own tone, and I personally prefer them to more skilled players with less personal tones. Skills is the result of physical labor, anybody can get them if they put in the time and do the work, but tone is the result of physical labor and soul-searching, of finding out who you are. Ideally you get both, eventually, but this ain't a perfect world...

That's just my criterion, my opinion, but that's the way I was raised, jazzically, and the people who instilled it in me staked their life on it.

I guess I do too.

I hesitate to point out that I asked for "single most recognizable tone".

Who is the absolute schitt for you when it comes to recognizable tone?

I would therefore second my vote for Stanley Turrentine :rolleyes:

Wildly innovative? No (so?). But I can pick him out every time, just takes a note or two (or three).

Anybody who's truly a "heavyweight" has their own, readily identifiable, tone.

Agreed 100%.

It's all about individuality. Can't be an entitity without being one's self.

I'll add Bill Evans to the list [along w/Trane and Bird one of the most influential "voices" on his instrument, especially stylistically].

How about a thread on people who don't have their own tone? That should be more interesting than pointing out the obvious titans.

I hesitate to point out that I asked for "single most recognizable tone".

Who is the absolute schitt for you when it comes to recognizable tone?

I would therefore second my vote for Stanley Turrentine :rolleyes:

Wildly innovative? No (so?). But I can pick him out every time, just takes a note or two (or three).

I agree with you, Eric!

Dmitry-your idea is a good one, maybe with a little twist:

"Artists who's tones aren't that distinctive but we love them anyway"

With a lot of musicians it depends on how much time the listener has spent listening to them. After awhile it's not just the tone, but the way the musican approaches the music with identifiable phrases etc.. Harry Edison is an immediate one who comes to mind..

So a newcomer to the music might have a tough time with even those we think the most obvious.

All the above mentioned are easy for even the relatively new to the music.

Hard to make only one choice..but I think Ruby Braff is a strong candidate.