New Mosaic Selects

If I may hijack the thread in another direction, I saw a reissue LP at Dusty Groove that got me thinking of a great Mosaic Select title: The Complete Epic Recordings of Dave Bailey. Great bluesy jam albums with Clark Terry, Horace Parlan, Charlie Rouse and others, and maybe there are unreleased tunes to add on to the original three, One Foot In The Gutter, Two Feet In The Gutter and Gettin Into Something.

As long as we're hijacking ( ;) ) ... Ralphie, I would strongly recommend this Weston album:

B000000ZAL.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It contains the original version of "Little Niles," which is wonderful.

This album

B000000Z6E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't have, but I dig the cover! :D

And this album

B000000ZA8.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

contains the original (I think) melody for "St. Thomas," which Weston titles "Fire Down There." (That's at least two melodies that have largely been attributed to Sonny Rollins — "Tenor Madness" and "St. Thomas" — that other musicians have recorded first. <_< )

Edited by Late

Late---occassionally I DO judge an album by it's cover, and that "Jazz A La Bohemia" has GOT to be great!

*Bohemia* IS great, but it's one of the most Lo-Fi titles in the OJC catalogue, IMHO.

By the way, Airborne Express just delivered the Weston box, so I gotta run...

If I may hijack the thread in another direction, I saw a reissue LP at Dusty Groove that got me thinking of a great Mosaic Select title:  The Complete Epic Recordings of Dave Bailey.  Great bluesy jam albums with Clark Terry, Horace Parlan, Charlie Rouse and others, and maybe there are unreleased tunes to add on to the original three, One Foot In The Gutter, Two Feet In The Gutter and Gettin Into Something.

Its a positive high, Jack! I think that is a great suggestion!!

I've been a fan of "One Foot In the Gutter" and recently a good friend turned me on to "Into Something" which I really dig. These two compiled with other material would make a great Select.

Edited by Out2Lunch

It was exciting getting both sets. I decided to go for the Weston first and listed to the first session. It is really good stuff. After reading the Gryce book, it seems that Weston was one of the artists that wanted to push hardbop into a more artistic direction. Melba Liston did the arrangements and the playing is first rate. Of course, Weston's piano playing is different from the hardbop players that grace most of the sessions, which makes the session more interesting.

How does the Weston Select sound?

And does anyone know how the Randy Weston "Little Niles" 2LP sampler from the 70's sounds?

I've recently started buying vinyl records again, and if McMaster produces the same NoNoise disaster as with the Moncur Select (I know some like the sound, but I find it artificially clean) I might get this LP collection instead.

Edited by Claude

I imagine the Select Weston sounds pretty good; I'm a big fan of Addey's work, and I have similar complaints with McMaster's.

The United Artist two lp set sounds pretty darned good too, and you get a good chunk of "Destry Rides Again" on that which is not included on the Mosaic (and which I like.)

Does anyone have an idea as to why Weston particularly dislikes Destry Rides Again? Cuscuna (rather cryptically) refers to Weston's reasons in the latest Mosaic brochure (magazine), but it didn't help me to figure out the situation any more clearly. Not that it matters all too much, of course. I certainly respect Weston's call to have this album withheld from reissue. I was just wondering about the details behind the situation. Anyone in the know?

Edited by Late

I think Chuck may have some details. The gist of it I think may be that it was not a project he wanted to do but was convinced to do by the record company/producer. None of the material was an original composition of his. That said it's a good album because Randy never made a bad one! ;)

Anyone have the Bennie Green Mosaic? I have all the material except for the Ike Quebec session & the 45's. So, is the sound improved over the TOCJ's of Green? I might be worth the money just to hear Jug & Green "singing" together, in remastered sound. Opinions on the set greatly appreciated.

I have the Green Select set and listening to it right now, in fact. I had the TOCJs -- it's close, but I have been preferring the Selects sound because of depth and richness. For instance, on the Walkin and Talkin sessions -- I forget which particular track, but I distinctly heard hand clapping throughout the entire track -- I don't recall hearing that (maybe I wasn't focusing as much) on the TOCJ.