Bill Frisell

Soul Stream

Larry, are you saying I'm predictable? Well, my wife feels the same way...

Paul, please don't act so superior, if I told you you were a douche and a phony and associated with people who only associated with you for the money, attacked you professionally as well, etc etc, well, than, I think you might respond, unless you were completely comatose or catatonic. It's natural, there's nothing wrong with it, and it's appropriate.

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allen--wow, you liked the Frisell/Holland/Jones album? I heard a few tracks off that one ("Moon River" & an original) & hated them so much I've avoided it ever since. It struck me as about as irksome a mismatch as the duo album with Fred Hersch, another one I didn't get at all.

Frisell I run hot & cold on, but he was doing pretty interesting stuff up to about the mid-1990s when things went wrong circa Nashville. I liked East/West, mostly (the last few tracks on the Vanguard session are disappointing--Frisell's probably got a great "Crazy" in him but not this time). Virtually everything he did with Zorn is worth checking out, & with Paul Motian. I like "After the Requiem" with Gavin Bryars, too, though it's not jazz. Of the albums of his I've heard, Have a Little Faith & This Land have been the best, though I haven't heard the ECMs. Live with the trio is musically excellent, though the sound is poor (but the version of "Strange Meeting", an original from his Power Tools days, is one of the most moving things I've heard him do). -- He's always worth seeing live.

Re: Nels Cline, I don't know his work enough to wade into this particular spat--I saw him once with the Red Headed Stranger group & with the Singers, it was OK, but I actually enjoyed Carla B's rundown of a tune of her own far more than the Willie Nelson covers--but will just say that the Clineophiles will probably enjoy his work on ROVA's Electric Ascension, their recent update of the Coltrane classic. It's a tremendous record.

hey Nate, don't be so surprised - yeah, I do like that CD, I think it's easy to mistake Frisell's great musical patience and almost slow-motion Americana for dullness - he does walk that line sometimes, but I find it works for me, though I do agree with you about the earlier stuff and wonder if they were trying to push him a little bit into the middle-of-the-road for a time. His approach is much different than mine; I tend to like my guitarists (and my own guitar) to sound less digital, more connected to strings and tubes, but he is one of the few that I like who have managed to digitize the guitar's sound and touch.

just re-did the ignore - here's how Clem's post reads to me now:

"jesus... Lowe's untypically asinine post from this ex-musician; (I'm a) half student of character & rhetoric, I really have no clear ideas I (need) therapy, however-- got SERIOUS issues & a bitter streak T-H-I-S wide. i've said dopey stuff in life like "douche" (I can't) write or read

yes, i fake it all. i'm a fuck

Lowe's career as musician & writer, rises on its own accord. it's amazing (and) real"

you guys were right - I feel MUCH better -

Edited by AllenLowe

Sooooooo....

Has anybody else picked up "Richter 858" yet? For those who didn't care for Frisell's Americana turn, this is quite different. I don't think there's been anything else quite like it in his catalog, either. Originally a limited (and expensive - $250) edition only available with a book of Gerhard Richter's paintings, it is now available as a normal standalone disc.

...and I need to check out that Power Tools thing. Sounds interesting!

Sooooooo....

Has anybody else picked up "Richter 858" yet?  For those who didn't care for Frisell's Americana turn, this is quite different.  I don't think there's been anything else quite like it in his catalog, either.  Originally a limited (and expensive - $250) edition only available with a book of Gerhard Richter's paintings, it is now available as a normal standalone disc. 

...and I need to check out that Power Tools thing.  Sounds interesting!

I have it. Frisell with a string trio. Good shit. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Love Lefty, nice pic, presumably from after his career went sour... but to get this thread more or less back on track have any of you downloaded the Further East/Further West linked earlier? I've never done anything like that and I'm a little fuzzy on how it works. Do I need any special software installed and is Flac worth the extra $? A little hand holding here would be much appreciated.

Love Lefty, nice pic, presumably from after his career went sour... but to get this thread more or less back on track have any of you downloaded the Further East/Further West linked earlier? I've never done anything like that and I'm a little fuzzy on how it works. Do I need any special software installed and is Flac worth the extra $? A little hand holding here would be much appreciated.

Flac decodes to a wav file, so it's CD quality, unlike a MP3 file. There's software out there to do the translation.

So I'm going to have to get some of this software to go from flac to wave, or might it already be in one of the three CD burning programs on computer already? Sorry to be dense but you'd think they'd put info like this on a site that sells downloads...

I use MKW Audio Compression Tool Kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread -- glad the internet is always here to provide a consequence-free environment in which to rant, insult and threaten...maybe it helps keep folks out of gun shops and belltowers!

Anyway, for those of you in the Bay Area in January, I would recommend coming out to Yoshi's in Oakland (www.yoshis.com) to hear Nels Cline playing a program of Andrew Hill music with some of the best musicians around (all amazing players, all frequent collaborators with and admirers of Cline, and yet -- judging from what I'm learning in this thread -- none of whom appear to be sophisticated enough to realize that Cline has been bullshitting...gosh):

January 30th @ Yoshi's (Oakland, CA)

Bobby Bradford - cornet

Ben Goldberg - clarinets

Andrea Parkins - accordion

Devin Hoff - bass

Scott Amendola - drums

Nels Cline - guitar

Might open some eyes. At the very least, it should be a great night of music with some amazing players and, of course, some of the finest compositions ever written. For the past few years, Nels has been playing around the Bay Area a lot in a variety of contexts (also saw him a bunch when I was living in NYC), and I don't think he's left many musicians with the feeling that he's bullshitting.

As for recorded Cline, there are a lot of great records, but for someone looking to dip their toe in, I'd recommend "The Inkling", an amazing quartet recording. I'd also give a huge second to the Bendian "...Jack Kirby" album Impossible mentioned above (if memory serves, it was my 2nd favorite record of the year when it came out, right behind Marc Ribot's impossibly brilliant "Saints").

As for the Frisell topic ostensibly at hand, I'm a huge Frisell fan, and I would highly recommend, anong others, his Quartet date "Lookout for Hope". I'm also a big fan of the early "In Line", which is mostly solo guitar. Not for all tastes, and definitely recorded in Full-On-ECM style, but great to me. I am enjoying "East/West" a lot, particularly the East disc. Kenny Wollesen, as always, is incredible (his many recordings with the above-mentioned Ben Goldberg should be more widely heard). I've been lukewarm on some of Frisell's recent stuff (not that it's ever less than listenable), but this is a very good one. Another one that's not new, but relatively new to me, is Paul Motian's "On Broadway, vol. 2". Some really beautiful Frisell on there, playing standards w/ Motian, Lovano and Haden. OH! And he's got some great solo tracks on John Zorn's "Masada Guitars". I could go on...

Oh, and I'm a performing guitarist, so I must know what I'm talking about, right ;-)

nathan

Edited by nathan