Favorite Rock Box Set?

Leeway

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Creedence box. Not only because it's Creedence Clearwater Revival, but also because disc two contains all of the first album and Bayou Country (which sounds fantastic B2B); disc three contains all of Green River and Willy and the Poorboys (which, IMHO, is about as potent a 1-2-punch of perfect rock&roll as there ever was); and disc four contains all of Cosmo's Factory and all the important songs from Pendulum. Rock & roll has never been as perfect as it was when these guys played it.

The Talking Heads box Once in a Lifetime. I don't know if it necessarily contains all of their "best" songs, but this is the only comprehensive box that I've heard that has every single one of my favorite songs by the band in question!

I don't know if it's necessarily my favorite, but it's the first one that came to mind: the Nuggets box from Rhino, which adds 3 CDs to the original 2-LP set (contained on CD 1). Lots of fun garage-pop stuff I'd never heard before and a great booklet to boot.

The Velvet Underground's PEEL SLOWLY AND SEE might give it a run for its money, though. It compiles all of the band's albums and some interesting outtakes.

Edited by ghost of miles

I don't know if it's necessarily my favorite, but it's the first one that came to mind: the Nuggets box from Rhino, which adds 3 CDs to the original 2-LP set (contained on CD 1). Lots of fun garage-pop stuff I'd never heard before and a great booklet to boot.

The Velvet Underground's PEEL SLOWLY AND SEE might give it a run for its money, though. It compiles all of the band's albums and some interesting outtakes.

'nuff said! :tup

The Grateful Dead- Golden Road

All of their Warner Bros material with extra tracks and it sounds great.

King Crimson- The Great Deceiver

Live 70s Crim.

15 of the new Dylan SACDs can be acquired in a box, but I don't know if it counts as a box set since it's just a collection of individually available titles with just a box to hold them. Same for the new Paul Simon remasters.

The new Black Sabbath box set looks sweet.

Re: CCR

I never heard the box but I read bad reviews about the sound.

Another for Five Guys Walk Into A Bar... Aside from the extra goodies and the booklet included, I like the fact that it isn't chronological.

King Crimson's The Great Deceiver is probably 2nd. Although I'm not a big fan of the lyrics from this period ('73-'74) the improvs are tremendous. Quite a bit of reading material included too compliments of Fripp.

VU's Peel Slowly And See did a nice job with filling out the discs with some good extras in the right place too, but gets knocked down a tiny notch for changing the mix on the 3rd album. I think I've played the early disc just once. I need to again sometime to be reminded why.

One box that has a shameful flaw is The Who's Maximum R&B. Many (maybe all) of the songs fade out and flow into the next. It sure took a long time for this band to put out CDs that weren't flawed one way or another.

I keep meaning to pick up Nuggets, but I'm saving it for when I really need it for a pick me upper.

The Velvet Underground's PEEL SLOWLY AND SEE might give it a run for its money, though.  It compiles all of the band's albums and some interesting outtakes.

Another vote for the Velvet's box, mostly for the music but the booklet is pretty good too. Definitely my most listened to rock box.

The Who - have they YET put out something not flawed? Even the "deluxe" My Generation has problems.

Mike

I was thinking maybe the Deluxe Who's Next, but maybe I should double check. ;)

Most people I know don't own it as they've bought the disc twice already. I stuck with my vinyl until this came out.

I'm still using 3 different vinyl copies of Quadrophenia (not that I've played it much in the past 20+ years as I played it every day when I was 16 :rolleyes:) and wondering if they'll do the upcoming Deluxe Quadrophenia right. Not that anyone can agree as to what's right with that album anyway!

The Jimi Hendrix Experience box set.

This is really a well put together box set for the Hendrix fanatic. . . it presents a lot of music officially for the first time, the sound is excellent, the notes are good with photos never before seen. In all important ways this was carefully put together.

This is really a well put together box set for the Hendrix fanatic. . . it presents a lot of music officially for the first time, the sound is excellent, the notes are good with photos never before seen. In all important ways this was carefully put together.

I agree with this.

I'd also have to throw in my John Lennon Anthology. Some great recordings on there. And every track across the 4 discs is unreleased stuff.

Re: CCR

I never heard the box but I read bad reviews about the sound.

No kiddin'? IMO, the sound is outta this world, especially compared to the older CD issues. Heck, I’d even go so far as to say that the box sounds better than some of the old LPs! I don't doubt that someone griped about the sound not being pristine, but then I always figured that was part of CCR’s charm: loud, grungy, & gritty! :tup

This is really a well put together box set for the Hendrix fanatic. . . it presents a lot of music officially for the first time, the sound is excellent, the notes are good with photos never before seen.  In all important ways this was carefully put together.

Yup, definitely -- the recent purple-velvet Hendrix box is really a winner!!!

As a long-time Hendrix fan (by my senior year in high-school, circa-1987, I had something like 40 or nearly 50 Hendrix LP's, including plenty of bootlegs), I have to say that this box set includes most of the very best tracks from many of those bootlegs.

I can't tell you how many crappy-sounding double-LP Hendrix boots I bought (sometimes for up to $40, which wasn't cheap for somebody in high-school), that only had like one track each that was really worth having (a some particular tune Jimi only played once or twice, ever!!).

And now I've got this wonderful box set that collects up nearly all of those must-have-tracks, and presents them in wonderful sound too. :wub::wub::wub:

Best rock box-set I've ever encountered. :tup:tup:tup

The Who - have they YET put out something not flawed? Even the "deluxe" My Generation has problems.

Mike

It’s all part of Townshend’s plan to remix, repackage, and reissue the same damn music for eternities to come. I’m sure there will, eventually, be four-disc repackages of all of the Who’s albums. I can just see it now: the Ultimate Deluxe Edition of Who’s Next, with two full discs of unreleased demos, studio chatter/brawls, tracks containing nothing but the lone synthesizer tracks, tracks containing nothing but Moon’s drums, Entwistle’s bass, Townshend’s guitar, Daltrey’s vocals, etc etc ad nauseaum. Plus an unlisted track containing the sound of the band pissing on that concrete block! Oh yeah, and the actual album will be remixed, so that it’s different from the previous issue and different from the original LP. AGAIN!!!

This is really a well put together box set for the Hendrix fanatic. . . it presents a lot of music officially for the first time, the sound is excellent, the notes are good with photos never before seen.  In all important ways this was carefully put together.

Yup, definitely -- the recent purple-velvet Hendrix box is really a winner!!!

As a long-time Hendrix fan (by my senior year in high-school, circa-1987, I had something like 40 or nearly 50 Hendrix LP's, including plenty of bootlegs), I have to say that this box set includes most of the very best tracks from many of those bootlegs.

I can't tell you how many crappy-sounding double-LP Hendrix boots I bought (sometimes for up to $40, which wasn't cheap for somebody in high-school), that only had like one track each that was really worth having (a some particular tune Jimi only played once or twice, ever!!).

And now I've got this wonderful box set that collects up nearly all of those must-have-tracks, and presents them in wonderful sound too. :wub::wub::wub:

Best rock box-set I've ever encountered. :tup:tup:tup

What's the name of this box? Or is it just simply The Jimi Hendrix Experience? Don’t mean to sound cynical, but aren’t there quite a few Hendrix boxes?

In print there is really only ONE Hendrix box set of any official nature. There were a few others ("Stages" and "Lifeline") from Reprise that have been out of print for some time.

This is the one RT and Sal and I are discussing:

B00004WKII.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I'd love to pick up the Talking Heads box that Big Al mentioned. It truly looks like a perfect Heads compilation, with the DVD as a nice bonus.

But what the *&#$# is up with that packaging?

g13677xbvry.jpg

That is enough to scare me away completely. This huge oddly shaped book wouldn't fit anywhere, and isn't exactly convenient to take with in the car, for instance. I hope that someone comes to their senses and re-releases this in a standard box - or a Milesian metal spined box even!

I'd love to pick up the Talking Heads box that Big Al mentioned. It truly looks like a perfect Heads compilation, with the DVD as a nice bonus.

But what the *&#$# is up with that packaging?

g13677xbvry.jpg

That is enough to scare me away completely. This huge oddly shaped book wouldn't fit anywhere, and isn't exactly convenient to take with in the car, for instance. I hope that someone comes to their senses and re-releases this in a standard box - or a Milesian metal spined box even!

Yeah, that packaging is atrocious. This is one of those rare instances where the music more than makes up for the horrible packaging (and in this case, that’s saying a lot). Me, I just took the four discs and put ‘em in separate jewel cases.

Can’t believe I forgot to mention that DVD. If only MTV were always this creative! The video for “Crosseyed and Painless,” which I’d never seen (much less knew it existed) is a hoot!