What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Saw Matana Roberts doing her project Coin Coin part 1 with a band of more than 10 musicians, they played in a loft located in Montreal sound was not terrible which made it hard to appreciate the arrangements. on the other hand it's the first I watch a gig sitting in a rocking chair !

Edited by Van Basten II

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

Later today it's Sounds Outside in Cal Anderson Park (Capitol Hill, Seattle.) The Legends Duo: Kahil El'Zabar & Hamiet Bluiett headlining this edition...

I arrived later than originally planned but heard Kahil El'Zabar's complete set. He ended up playing solo as Bluiett went to Italy with the WSQ instead. A very fine set! His version of "Compared to What" was KILLER.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Simon Spillett this afternoon at Whitefield, Manchester playing with a local trio. Simon was his usual affable self and played an interesting repertoire which included Jimmy Deuchar compositions.

Did he happen to mention when his Tubby Hayes biography was likely to be in print? I'm looking forward to that one.

Michael Burks and Lucky Peterson at Pearl. This concert was electrifying. Michael Burks was in excellent form when Lucky Peterson showed up about a half hour into his set, and then the sparks really began to fly, with Lucky starting out on guitar (a stimulating contrast, as Burks is tightly controlled fury whereas Lucky is a manic genius) before taking over on the organ (incredible playing--and on a real organ this time) later in the two hour set which ended at midnight. I didn't think the first set could be improved upon, but if anything, the second set was even more exhilarating--commencing with the twin guitar attack (these two really have musical chemistry), before Lucky switched to bass guitar (!), and then back to organ. At this point, they brought a youngster on bass onto the stage, who proved to be a Jaco-like virtuoso. Lucky retired from the stand for the evening, and the group shifted more into jazz territory, with long instrumental jams. Burks really gets gets untracked in his second set. The only reason the concert came to an end at 2:04 was because the club had to close.

Tongues of Fire, a tribute to the Black Panthers - David Murray, the Last Poets, The Roots et al

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=10807

as with some other trans-genre collaborations I found this equal parts fascinating and frustrating. A very moving duet between and Murray on bass clarinet and Umar bin Hassan, reflecting on his relationship with Huey P Newton was perhaps my highlight. The vocals of Corey Glover did much to cut though what was sometimes a too thick musical stew. Vernon Reid was best when restrained and was then very good indeed. Black Thought's raps were pin sharp and delivered with diamond-hard concision but too few.

The accompanying visuals of Emory Douglas were a thought-provoking back-drop

Overall, perhaps the sheer camaraderie displayed between the performers was the true highlight

A rockin' week-end:

Last night I saw Magma at the French Embassy (a show I will never forget), and this afternoon I went to see the Zappa Plays Zappa thing in Baltimore with the unveiling of the statue etc.

Bertrand.

Caught Magma in New York the day after I think. They were killing and sold out the Highline Ballroom (decent medium sized hall).

Saw local boy Charles Lloyd last night. He plays a small theater here every couple of years. (Sangam was recorded there. I didn't go and I'm still kicking myself because I love that record.) A neighbor of his phoned and said she didn't know his work but felt obligated to see him and would we go with her. My wife and I said sure, and were we all glad we did. His new group is great. Last time I saw him here he seemed to me to be influenced by Wayne Shorter (not a bad thing). But this time he sounded more like he did the first time I ever saw him 40 years ago when Kieth Jarrett was still with him. (Though Paul Motian was the drummer not Jack DeJohnette.) The first number sounded like much of his ECM stuff but then he played

"I Fall In Love Too Easily" (which I'd just been listening to by Miles that afternoon).

I didn't recognize anything else (one number was reminiscent of Ginger Bread Boy) until the encore when he played Pannonica followed by what I later learned was Forest Flower!

Maybe this is just an attempt to regain his former popularity, but I don't care it was a great evening of music.

Saw the Portico Quartet, a group from the UK, which I had heard of through the BBC. This was in a real dive called The Empty Bottle. The crowd was pretty light at the beginning, fewer than 20 and only about half paying any attention to the music, but was about 50 by the end of the set. They actually were only the opening act (which worked out well for me, since I could scamper home early) and played 45 minutes or so. They are heading to the East Coast for a short tour so you might want to check them out: http://porticoquartet.com/

The instrumentation is sax, bass, drums and hang drums (which sound essentially like steel drums). It is a really interesting sound, somewhat reminiscent of a harder-edged version of the the soundtrack to Soderbergh's Solaris. The sax player often used electronic effects, even a modified guitar pedal. So if you are a jazz purist, you might not be interested. They are sort of in line with other UK bands like Polar Bear or Tyft, but a little "spacier" because of the hang drum sound. I thought they were quite good and managed to talk to one of the guys while they were hawking CDs. It was probably Nick Mulvey (hang and percussion), but I wouldn't swear to it.

Going to see Rudresh tomorrow at Jazz Showcase! Pretty swell weekend.

Going to see Rudresh tomorrow at Jazz Showcase! Pretty swell weekend.

So Rudresh was playing with Craig Taborn on piano. It was a good set, though I think I liked the sets at the Green Mill in the past more. He basically played one song off Apex (Playing with Stones), 2 off Codebook (Enhanced Performance and Refresh) and Killer (which has been in his live show on and off for a while, but I am having trouble finding which album it is on). This was a much different version of Enhanced Performance. In general, he let the rhythm section take over for long stretches. I think my favorite song this time around was Playing with Stones. I was able to pick up Apex a couple of days before it officially hits, so that was cool.