What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Saw the SF Jazz Collective last friday night. Robin Eubanks and Avisha Cohen has been replaced by Louis Bonilla and a young trumpeter who won the 09 monk competition. It was a homecoming (albany, ny) for stefon harris. Their latest thing is playing the compositions of Horace Silver. Unfortunately, imho, that night they sucked the like out of his music.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night: A quartet led by trumpeter Lina Allemano of Toronto, performing in the Earshot Jazz Festival in Seattle. If you haven't heard her, check her out. While there are possible traces of Lester Bowie, Dave Douglas and perhaps Tomasz Stanko in her playing, Allemano has her own sound as well as a beautiful tone. Her sax player, Brodie West, is also quite good.

I'm playing tomorrow night at one of our local jazz clubs with my friend and fellow trombonist John Fedchock and the FSU faculty trio. John & I were on the Woody Herman band together for many years starting in the 80s and really have fun playing together. The club is called B Sharp's and is run by Clarence Seay and his wife. Clarence is a bassist who has played with many people, including Billy Harper.

Should be a fun night!

I'm playing tomorrow night at one of our local jazz clubs with my friend and fellow trombonist John Fedchock and the FSU faculty trio. John & I were on the Woody Herman band together for many years starting in the 80s and really have fun playing together. The club is called B Sharp's and is run by Clarence Seay and his wife. Clarence is a bassist who has played with many people, including Billy Harper.

Should be a fun night!

Too cool - I would seriously consider driving down if I didn't have a gig.

Kenny Wheeler's 80th Birthday Big Band last night at Sothampton University. Ken was looking a bit frail (he walks aided with a stick now) but after a bit of time to warm up he was his usual fluent self. His arrangements (all new), played by what must be the very best big band lineup this country can put together, just get better and better. In fact, it was even better than the 75th Birthday show, which I also attended - no mean feat. The section work by the sax lineup of Evan Parker, Stan Sultzman, Ray Warleigh, Duncan Lamont and Julian Arguelles was outstanding, with some lovely solo work by all. For me though, the powerful trumpet/flugel section (which included Henry Lowther and Derek Watkins - both on the original 'Windmill Tilter') was the standout. Just awesome.

And as for the combination of John Taylor, Chris Laurence, John Paricelli and Martin France backing them up - lovely !

Anyone attending the band's gigs at Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle over the next few days is in for a rare treat. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Kenny Wheeler's 80th Birthday Big Band last night at Sothampton University. Ken was looking a bit frail (he walks aided with a stick now) but after a bit of time to warm up he was his usual fluent self. His arrangements (all new), played by what must be the very best big band lineup this country can put together, just get better and better. In fact, it was even better than the 75th Birthday show, which I also attended - no mean feat. The section work by the sax lineup of Evan Parker, Stan Sultzman, Ray Warleigh, Duncan Lamont and Julian Arguelles was outstanding, with some lovely solo work by all. For me though, the powerful trumpet/flugel section (which included Henry Lowther and Derek Watkins - both on the original 'Windmill Tilter') was the standout. Just awesome.

And as for the combination of John Taylor, Chris Laurence, John Paricelli and Martin France backing them up - lovely !

Anyone attending the band's gigs at Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle over the next few days is in for a rare treat. smile.gif

Sounds like a treat indeed. As you say, what a line up. I saw a somewhat similar line-up at Royal Academy of Music earlier in the year and the certainly produced the goods then. Great to think the band has a few dates to really get the music down. New material at eighty - the man's a treasure. A touch unsteady on his feet, maybe but once he's playing....I remember the QEH gig for his 60th (?) birthday as my first real exposure to his big band writing and I've been hooked ever since

Sounds like a treat indeed. As you say, what a line up. I saw a somewhat similar line-up at Royal Academy of Music earlier in the year and the certainly produced the goods then. Great to think the band has a few dates to really get the music down. New material at eighty - the man's a treasure. A touch unsteady on his feet, maybe but once he's playing....I remember the QEH gig for his 60th (?) birthday as my first real exposure to his big band writing and I've been hooked ever since

A National treasure indeed - both for the UK and Canada !

Kenny plays seated these days but once into his solos there is some lovely stuff coming out. And when he's not playing, it was a pleasure watching him listening to the band and obviously enjoying every bit of the music.

The new arrangements were absolutely first rate. Especially during the second set - a wonderful ballad for the saxes and a rivetting big band arrangement of 'Double, Double You' stand out. I hope that someone records this band. ECM - or maybe Evan Parker's 'Psi' imprint perhaps?

Yesterday: The New York Jazz Composers Orchestra at the University of the Streets. Compositions and arrangements by Wayne Horvitz (the majorty), Robin Holcolm, and Marty Ehrlich. In addition to those three, the band included Bobby Previte on drums. The Horvitz pieces were dynamic. Good band and a good sounding venue.

Next, to Smalls: The Jimmy Greene Quartet--tenor and soprano saxophonist Greene, backed by Tom Harrell's rhythm section (Danny Grisset on piano, Ugonna Uweggo on bass, and Johnathon Blake on drums). Both sets were tremendous. Adding a new favorite young saxophonist. It was late, but the next group had Logan Richardson in it, so I stayed. Led by a young woman named Shimrit Shoshan on piano, this was a pleasant surprise. Another good group and Richardson proved to very interesting in person as on his fine recording Ethos.

Anton Hatwich ensemble at The Hungry Brain. Don't know who's in the band and have never seen Anton function as a leader, but I have high hopes. He's a fine bass player and a helluva smart guy. Would like to stay to hear bass clarinetist Jeff Kimmel's group as well, but I'm probably going with someone who has to be at work at 8 a.m. Monday.

Last night, Ben Allison trio at Kush. With Steve Cardenas on guitar and Jason Lindner on keyboards. Very nice. Talk about a meager audience--just me until four or five other people came.

Then, at the 55 Bar, most of the second set by Edmar Castaneda. Columbia harp, plus flute plus Ari Hoenig on drums. Another good one.

Unfortunately, the party is over and I have to go back to Dallas.

Guest Bill Barton

I just returned from hearing the Scott Amendola Trio in Seattle. One long set, over an hour-and-a-half. This was a thoroughly enjoyable evening of music with a great deal of variety: fine compositions and creative solos, plenty of "bang for the buck." Jeff Parker on guitar blew me away. First time I'd heard him in performance and he was awesome.

Saw the CSO doing Shostakovich's Symphony 8. Incredible stuff, particularly midway through the first movement when the first oboist has what is essentially a long solo. I know these folks are professionals, but it would still seem to be nerve-wracking to have to pull that off.

Tonight I a considering either Augusti Fernandez and Joe Morris, or Papo Vazquez. If I can get out I may even try catching one set of both acts - although Vazquez is in Hartford and Fernandez/Morris in New Haven which are separated by an approximately 45 minute drive

Guest Bill Barton

Tonight: Matana Roberts' Coin Coin with some of Seattle's most creative musicians at The Chapel Performance Space as part of the Earshot Jazz Festival.

I wrote the following response to this presentation after getting home last night and posted it on Facebook. If anything I understated the impact Coin Coin had on me. California board members: don't miss her while she's in your area (Berkeley today.)

This presentation at The Chapel Performance Space was unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Yes, it was music, but it was more than that, much more. In some ways it was performance art, utilizing spoken word, primal screams and graphics along with music. In another even more primal and emotionally compelling way it seemed to take the powerful imagery and heart-wrenching emotion of "Strange Fruit" and the most gut-walloping aspects of Delta blues and African-American Gospel music and recast it in a long-form artistic framework more akin to a symphony or an opera. It was beautiful and terrifying. Intense was the word that immediately came to mind. Very intense. Too intense for a few in the audience who walked out part way through. Those of us who stayed were perhaps transformed and definitely affected. Affected very deeply and profoundly. In fact, I'm still reeling from this experience. I walked out of the building in something of a daze and leaned against the car, smoking a cigarette, staring up at the sky, needing to process all of this a bit before attempting such a mundane activity as driving home. This is what great art should do, and the occasions when art really does reach this level are all too rare. I mentioned to a couple of people after the concert - well, concert is a wholly inadequate term - that this was only the second time in over 35 years of attending musical and other arts events that I was literally brought to tears, several times. And throughout I was totally transfixed. If you have the chance to experience Coin Coin, go! But be prepared. No shucking and jiving here. No masks. No pretense. If the truth makes you squirm, in all likelihood you'll fall out of your seat and be thrashing around on the floor, or run for the exit.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible. Thank you to Matana Roberts, all of the musicians involved, Earshot Jazz and Steve Peters at the Chapel.