What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

UMOJA Music Series

Jen Allen Trio
Jen Allen - Piano
Jonathan Barber- Drums
Henry Lugo - Bass

New Jazz Workshop led by Dezron Douglas & Lummie Spann
Lummie Spann - Alto Saxophone/Soprano Saxophone
Dezron Douglas - Bass
David Bryant - Piano
Chris Beck - Drums

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Debating with my wife as she LOVES the Jazz Standard vibe which for Saturday is Jeff Watts Big Band which would be nice if not down my alley.

Me - I want to go to my spot Cornelia Street Cafe to see this:

Saturday, Jul 20 - 9:00PM & 10:30PM
PALOMA RECIO
Tony Malaby, tenor saxophone; Ben Monder, guitar; Eivind Opsvik, bass; Ches Smith, drums Tony.Malaby(1)(2).jpg New music dedicated to an angel flying over the Iberian Peninsula by a quartet of omni-directionally improvising masters of ecstatic lyrical elasticity.

Last night Brötzmann/Adasiewicz/Drake at The Hideout were very fine. Brötzmann on alto, metal clarinet, and his taragot-like regular clarinet was, as usual, strong like bull; Drake was boldly and aptly/compositionally responsive, as was Adasiewicz. Only complaint, which could be made of many venues -- in the 40-odd minutes after the audience was seated and before the band played, one was subjected to pop music (albeit arguably good pop music) at an ear-splitting volume that made conversation impossible and literally made one's head hurt. As a friend said, "First time I ever looked forward to hearing Brötzmann as a sonic relief."

Tonight:
9:00PM

at Elastic, 2830 N Milwaukee, 2nd Fl, 773.772.3616 ($8)

Only complaint, which could be made of many venues -- in the 40-odd minutes after the audience was seated and before the band played, one was subjected to pop music (albeit arguably good pop music) at an ear-splitting volume that made conversation impossible and literally made one's head hurt.

That's why I don't like going to Band On the Wall in Manchester, even to see international jazz artists. That and the fact that many gigs are limited seating only. :(

Last night Brötzmann/Adasiewicz/Drake at The Hideout were very fine. Brötzmann on alto, metal clarinet, and his taragot-like regular clarinet was, as usual, strong like bull; Drake was boldly and aptly/compositionally responsive, as was Adasiewicz. Only complaint, which could be made of many venues -- in the 40-odd minutes after the audience was seated and before the band played, one was subjected to pop music (albeit arguably good pop music) at an ear-splitting volume that made conversation impossible and literally made one's head hurt. As a friend said, "First time I ever looked forward to hearing Brötzmann as a sonic relief."

Tonight:
9:00PM

at Elastic, 2830 N Milwaukee, 2nd Fl, 773.772.3616 ($8)

What's up with the single Brotzmann US date? The show wasn't even listed on Brotzmann's site. I just made the trek to Chicago last month to see Brotzmann with Joe McPhee, Kent Kessler and Hamid Drake and wouldn't have been able to make the trip again, but I like knowing when he's stateside.

Last night, caught this band in Chicago in the back of an antique store on Lincoln Ave.:

Aakash Mittal (alto), with Andrew Trim (gtr.), Russ Johnson (tpt.) , Kurt Schweitz (bs.), Devin Drobka (dr.)

You heard it here first, unless you've heard it before -- Mittal is someone to reckon with. From Boulder, Colo., of Indian (i.e. subcontinent) descent, he's a friend of (or acquainted with) Rudresh Mahanthappa and Vijay Iyer, but even though he's not yet as powerful or fully formed as Rudresh, he does something with his somewhat similar Indian-related compositional frameworks (lots of complex and/or additive time signatures/patterns) that I, based on arguably limited experience, prefer. Where Rudresh and Iyer seem to place those frameworks in the foreground and keep them there for the most part, Mittal plays off and around them in a push me/pull you manner that I think of as jazz-like. That is, he accents within and where the pattern does and also away from it -- meaningfully.

Russ Johnson, as usual played like a f---ing angel, and drummer Devin Drobka nailed all of those unusual time signatures and roiling patterns -- this even though the band had only seen Mittal's music that day.

Last night, caught this band in Chicago in the back of an antique store on Lincoln Ave.:

Aakash Mittal (alto), with Andrew Trim (gtr.), Russ Johnson (tpt.) , Kurt Schweitz (bs.), Devin Drobka (dr.)

You heard it here first, unless you've heard it before -- Mittal is someone to reckon with. From Boulder, Colo., of Indian (i.e. subcontinent) descent, he's a friend of (or acquainted with) Rudresh Mahanthappa and Vijay Iyer, but even though he's not yet as powerful or fully formed as Rudresh, he does something with his somewhat similar Indian-related compositional frameworks (lots of complex and/or additive time signatures/patterns) that I, based on arguably limited experience, prefer. Where Rudresh and Iyer seem to place those frameworks in the foreground and keep them there for the most part, Mittal plays off and around them in a push me/pull you manner that I think of as jazz-like. That is, he accents within and where the pattern does and also away from it -- meaningfully.

Russ Johnson, as usual played like a f---ing angel, and drummer Devin Drobka nailed all of those unusual time signatures and roiling patterns -- this even though the band had only seen Mittal's music that day.

I have to give this Russ Johnson guy a listen

Various folky things at the Sidmouth Folk Festival. Most interesting was a pairing of Peter Robinson (Author of the DCI Banks crime novels) with Martin Carthy. Robinson read a short story based around Little Musgrave/Matty Groves with Carthy singing and playing at appropriate moments. Ended with a Q&A session where Carthy offered to sing another song. Someone asked for Long Lankin which he said he'd not sung for 20 years - then proceeded to sing it from memory stumbling only a couple of times. Amazing man - regarded as the great man of English Folk, yet as down to earth and unpretentious as you could hope for.

More folky things ending with an evening of sea shanties.

But the utterly electric (in the acoustic sense) was a low key mid-afternoon concert. Started with a completely original guitar/banjo player called Jason Steel who I stumbled on a few years back. Seems to have grown fully formed out of American mountain music (original songs though) although coming from Doncaster (must be something in the water - McLaughlin was from there too).

Then Wizz Jones - until a few years ago just a name to me associated with the Graham's and Jansch's in the 60s. Came to love a recent live recording. In person he was wonderful - must be in his late 60s if not older but still plays amazing, percussive blues- influenced guitar. A mixture of blues songs and some beautiful originals (or little known songs by others). Great story-teller too - the road life of someone who never gained major fame.

What a rich and varied musical world we live in.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

10 musicians, 6 of them squeeze boxes - a nightmare to some! Ending with a short solo set from John Kirkpatrick who is as wonderful as when I first saw him 40 years back. Quick fire wit too - the Alan Barnes of folk.

Earlier in the day two beautiful solo performances - New England old timely music from Tim Erykson; and Olivia Chaney, one of those completely original performers who seem to appear from nowhere. Songs where the Guitar//keyboard seem to follow the irregularities of the words rather than the words being squashed into a regular rhythmic pattern. Lovely, clear voice with English diction (none of mid-Atlanticism that can spoil some contemporary UK folk).

Edited by A Lark Ascending