What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight will see the Convergence Quartet.

Hilariously fun concert, even though Darlene Edwards was a no show ;)

Thanks so much to the guys, Alexander, Taylor, Harris, and Dominic!

Really enjoyed the music and had a great time having dinner with you afterwards :tup :tup :tup

What I totally love about your music is how it allows composition and improvisation to morph into and out of each other seemlessly, how you mingle structure with freedom - and fill that freedom with, if I might quote that record title (a favourite title and a very good record, too!), inspired abandon. Love how you all let loose and still never lose ground. Also - of course! - love the african stuff you're adding, Ghana, ZA, whatever - the warmth really permeates your playing. And no grooves or simple riffs ever do restrict you, even though you don't have a problem to stick with it for as long as it's good.

There's some qualities in that that are way too rare in contemporary jazz! You got a good thing goin' :)

Edited by king ubu

Saw Sheila in Vienna some six or seven years ago and she was magnificient ... doing three sets with the late Fritz Pauer's trio, and at the end, when I went to say thanks and shook hands quickly, she was astonished to hear someone remembered her Blue Note album (one very dear to me). Would love to hear her again!

Saw Sheila in Vienna some six or seven years ago and she was magnificient ... doing three sets with the late Fritz Pauer's trio, and at the end, when I went to say thanks and shook hands quickly, she was astonished to hear someone remembered her Blue Note album (one very dear to me). Would love to hear her again!

She made mention of that album during her performance. I talked to her briefly between sets and mentioned that I'd bought it when it was new50 years ago. I'd forgotten that it was her first record. (Though I think she recorded with George Russell before then.)

SF Jazz Collective tonight. It's their 10th anniversary, and they're playing selections from their entire repertoire through the weekend.

Current lineup:

Miguel Zenón, alto saxophone
David Sánchez, tenor saxophone
Avishai Cohen, trumpet
Robin Eubanks, trombone
Warren Wolf, vibraphone
Edward Simon, piano
Matt Penman, bass
Obed Calvaire, drums

IMG_0459.JPG

Discs 1, 5 and 7 are great. Sound is very good.

Especially impressed by the Sextet with Bradford, Spauding and the great Billy Bang.

Much more to this quartet and variations than might immediately meet the ears.

The last 2 nights are too fresh in my heart to be able to express much more for whatever reason.

Btw William's notes in the booklet are very enlightening and speak very clearly about what this music is about.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Biggest gift so far with the set is the 3 guest musicians on the 2009 Vision Fest show. Bang is brilliant, Bradford is in fine form and James Spaulding plays as if possessed.

The gift for those not that familiar with the core quartet could be Rob Brown. Grounded to the groove but goes way out very effectively.

Now listening to incredible violin/drum duet section and it like something I just heard only with the late great violinist.

Drake's grooves and organic playing is really something to savor. I'll treasure the memories of the last 2 nights forever.

saw pat martino this weekend, fri/sat nites- it was just like being there, in the Philly organ clubs of the 60s. the sax player, james carter, he was playing in that style. something you dont hear from horn players these days, he was in full willis jackson mode, pat was phenomenal, had a great time

Saw him in a Manchester club a few months ago in an organ/drums trio. Sat on the front row and it was a great gig.

Edited by BillF

So-so "Otello" at Lyric Opera yesterday afternoon. Bland production, conducting, and singing except for the radiant Desdemona, Ana Maria Martinez. OTOH, thanks in large part to her, they pretty much brought home the bacon in Act Four.

Except for the excellent chorus and Martinez, the singers all seemed rather mushy rhythmically, a bit behind the orchestra. But then the conducting seemed rather mushy, too, so....

Yesterday evening - Art Trip. A tribute to Art Pepper with Alan Barnes. Some very energetic playing by Barnes, in fact the best I've heard him, who seemed to be in his element. All the numbers were associated or composed with Pepper, good to hear some of these rarely played pieces.

Yesterday evening - Art Trip. A tribute to Art Pepper with Alan Barnes. Some very energetic playing by Barnes, in fact the best I've heard him, who seemed to be in his element. All the numbers were associated or composed with Pepper, good to hear some of these rarely played pieces.

Glad it went well, John!