What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

How is it? I was chatting about it today with friends and none of us knew it.

LJF has some of the more okay events on there this year.

It's a nice space that's struggled to keep going as the local arts scene has been pushed away by developments.Think Vortex but with more pale wood, less industrial. Only have upright piano but Liam Noble and Alcyona Mick both made it sound good when I heard them. Vegetarian thali has a strong reputation but I haven't tried it as eating there seems a bit silly 5 minutes from my kitchen

They have strong links with Tomorrow's Warriors and showcase a lot of their young bands. Also have strong links with the Lowther/Sulzman/Themen generation who all play there fairly regularly.

Last night there were just 12 in the audience and I wonder how sustainable that can be but they announced two of their LJF shows are sold out or near so 

There's what seems likely to be a great show but I'm double booked with Charles Lloyd

https://www.musicglue.com/karamel/events/2023-11-17-unknown-to-known-karamel

I'll likely try the Steve Watts Trio as Iain Ballamy is playing

Easy to get to from Wood Green tube, 10 minute walk and N22 isn't that scary 😮

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

It's a nice space that's struggled to keep going as the local arts scene has been pushed away by developments.Think Vortex but with more pale wood, less industrial. Only have upright piano but Liam Noble and Alcyona Mick both made it sound good when I heard them. Vegetarian thali has a strong reputation but I haven't tried it as eating there seems a bit silly 5 minutes from my kitchen

They have strong links with Tomorrow's Warriors and showcase a lot of their young bands. Also have strong links with the Lowther/Sulzman/Themen generation who all play there fairly regularly.

Last night there were just 12 in the audience and I wonder how sustainable that can be but they announced two of their LJF shows are sold out or near so 

There's what seems likely to be a great show but I'm double booked with Charles Lloyd

https://www.musicglue.com/karamel/events/2023-11-17-unknown-to-known-karamel

I'll likely try the Steve Watts Trio as Iain Ballamy is playing

Easy to get to from Wood Green tube, 10 minute walk and N22 isn't that scary 😮

Thanks. Good to know. I'm likely keeping a low profile for the next few months, but I'll keep an eye on it.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:31 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Erik Friedlander’s The Throw

Erik on cello, Mark Helias on double bass & Ches Smith on drums

The Stone at The New School

looks like no charts which makes me happy:)

Extraordinary 50 minute set of freely improvised music. Second to last piece they morphed into a post bop like groove. Magical. Helias has to have the most gorgeous bass sound. Last 4 months I’ve seen Brandon Lopez, John Hebert, Luke Stewart, Mark Dresser, Caroline Morton, Eivand Opsik & Michael Formanek. Some of them multiple times (Lopez 6-7 times I think).

I’m truly blessed to be able to witness these masters of the double bass so often. 

Missed a quartet with Luke Stewart tonight as I’m a bit under the weather. With Maria Valencia, Stewart, Nate Wooley & Ryan Sawyer. I’ve never seen Valencia who is a young saxophonist/clarnetist. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I already bought tickets for two concerts within the 2023 Madrid Jazz Festival:

-The Cookers:  https://festivaldejazzmadrid.com/actividad/the-cookers/

-Celebrating Tete Montoliu concert (Ignasi Terraza Trio plus Perico Sambeat): https://festivaldejazzmadrid.com/actividad/celebrando-a-tete-90o-aniversario-de-tete-montoliu/

I saw Christian McBride's New Jawn last night -- with Josh Evans (tr), Marcus Strickland (b cl, ts), and Nasheet Waits (d).

It was an excellent show.  I enjoyed it very much.  

Christian-Mc-Bride-New-Jawn.jpg

It was at the City Winery, an Atlanta venue I'd never been to before.  The set up sort of reminded me of Jazz Standard in NYC, but the City Winery is a little bit larger.

This weekend I was fortunate to have the opportunity to spend two nights in New York City, for the first time since just before COVID.

Friday:

First Set: Tyshawn Sorey Trio at the Village Vanguard, with Aaron Diehl on piano and Harish Raghavan on bass.

It was great being back in the Vanguard again.

Second Set: Mingus Big Band at Birdland. Wayne Escoffrey and Boris Koslow now act as co-leaders. Band included Philip Harper, Mark Gross, Helen Sung, Earl McIntyre, David Lee Jones, Alex Sipiagin, and Jonathan Blake.

In a ninety minute set, they played: Open Letter to Duke, Love is a Dangerous Necessity, Reincarnation of a Lovebird, Little Royal Suite, and Tonight at Noon.

Saturday:

First Set: Charles McPherson Quintet at Smoke. This set was fantastic. At 84, McPherson sounds great, as good as ever. With Terrell Stafford on trumpet, Jeb Patton on piano, David Wong on bass, and Billy Drummond on drums. Looking forward to the recording he is releasing on Smoke Sessions.

Second Set: The next set at Smoke was sold out, so to the Jazz Gallery for John Ellis. The original Jazz Gallery was a hole in the wall type of place; the current version is very nice. An interesting set of original music.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Good. Carter sometimes a bit gimmicky, but fun when he actually played. There was a Lockjaw section that was really good to see live. Everyone I was with loved the organ. 

Glad it went down well. I always had Carter down as a bit gimmicky from when he first became popular. I thought age may have calmed him down but it seems not.

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Glad it went down well. I always had Carter down as a bit gimmicky from when he first became popular. I thought age may have calmed him down but it seems not.

Nope. Still very gimmicky.

But it was a good gig still.

The thing about Carter that I find is that the gimmickry has a vital edge that's routed in the love of jazz and his community. There are a lot of artists who could do with a bit of that. Maybe even a double dose.

I finally managed to get two tickets for one of the two (actually, it was just expanded to three) Bruce Springsteen concerts in Madrid, Civitas Metropolitano Stadium, next June. 🥳

Actually, it closes a cycle: I first attended a Bruce Springsteen concert in Madrid 30 years ago.

image.jpeg.11facb9e2ca79dfff0e41eda57dbc3a6.jpeg

Going to see baritone saxophonist Danny Harrington at Arthur's House of Jazz in Methuen. I'm maybe more interested to see/hear Rusty Scott on the piano again. I think it's been close to 30 years since I saw Rusty live. I used to try to catch all of his shows with his regular band back then - Tim Meyer on tenor & Keala Kaumeheiwa on bass. They were a fun band to see back then.