What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taking in the second annual Molten Plains festival tonight and tomorrow in Denton, TX. 

12/8 lineup:
-Wendy Eisenberg/Damon Smith/Stefan Gonzalez
-Louise Fristensky/Kory Reeder/Ernesto Montiel
-Joe McPhee/Zoh Amba
-Tamarisk (Christina Carter/David Menestres/Andrew Weathers)
-Spirit Plate

12/9 lineup:
-Mattie/Melanie Little Smith
-Colin Andrew Sheffield
-Patrick Shiroishi/Aaron Gonzalez/Damon Smith
-Sandy Ewen/Rebecca Novak/Sarah Ruth Alexander/Wendy Eisenberg
-Sean Meehan
-Joe McPhee/Carmina Escobar/Dave Dove
-Trio Glossia
-Water Damage

Should be a great weekend!

10 hours ago, colinmce said:

Taking in the second annual Molten Plains festival tonight and tomorrow in Denton, TX. 

12/8 lineup:
-Wendy Eisenberg/Damon Smith/Stefan Gonzalez
-Louise Fristensky/Kory Reeder/Ernesto Montiel
-Joe McPhee/Zoh Amba
-Tamarisk (Christina Carter/David Menestres/Andrew Weathers)
-Spirit Plate

12/9 lineup:
-Mattie/Melanie Little Smith
-Colin Andrew Sheffield
-Patrick Shiroishi/Aaron Gonzalez/Damon Smith
-Sandy Ewen/Rebecca Novak/Sarah Ruth Alexander/Wendy Eisenberg
-Sean Meehan
-Joe McPhee/Carmina Escobar/Dave Dove
-Trio Glossia
-Water Damage

Should be a great weekend!

So glad you are seeing this. Especially with the *great* Joe McPhee right in the middle of the lineup!!

Tomorrow night Mary Halvorson & Sylvie Courvoisier @ Jazz Gallery. Front table:)

9 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

So glad you are seeing this. Especially with the *great* Joe McPhee right in the middle of the lineup!!

Tomorrow night Mary Halvorson & Sylvie Courvoisier @ Jazz Gallery. Front table:)

Joe's duet with Zoh was otherworldly. I knew she would do a good job but I was in awe. As good as, if not better than, any saxophone duet I've ever heard him do. 

Just back from seeing Terence Blanchard's E-Collective with Turtle Island Quartet.  I know Blanchard is an artist in residence with the DSO, and I caught one or two of his shows with them as livestreams.  Those concerts were pretty short, so I wasn't entirely sure what we would get tonight, but it was a full concert (two hours!).  I'd describe it as sounding a lot like a live version of Panthalassa with string accompaniment.  They performed many of the tracks off their recent BN album Absence.  The Turtle Island Quartet had one tune all to themselves -- The Second Wave -- while the band rested.  Overall, a very interesting concert.

• 1 month later...

Last Sunday:

Tony Malaby, Ben Monder, Angelica Sanchez & Tom Rainey / second set incredible / nobody playing soprano saxophone like this. His tenor playing was great as always. Both sets fully improvised. Tom Rainey remains among the greatest drummers on the planet. As Kevin Reilly says in his low key manner, “he’s the best” 

Last Night:

James Paul Nadian solo followed by a trio adding Tom Wall and the *great* Fred Lonberg-Holm. Amazing

Tonight:

Tim Berne with David Torn, Trevor Dunn & Tom Rainey

Will be a nice long improvised set and as always I’ll be a few feet from the band. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

A friend invited me to join him to see Salvador Sobral on Thursday. The samples sound interesting ...

Always great to go out. Much better than listening at home. 

Have slipped on icy sidewalk last week and fell very bad on my left hand, had to go to urgent spital, but with all that bad luck I still was lucky it happened after the studio sessions for our CD. 
Having my left hand in a cast and unable to play with my left hand, I went out to see some of my colleages yesterday at zwe, among them the great Roman Schwaller with some of my very favourite fellow musicians. 
They did a fast version of "If I were a Bell" at a brisk tempo, "Fire Waltz" one of my favourite waltzes on my own gigs, a Kenny Barron tune which title I don´t remember, a very very fast version of "The Man I love" (I play it usually as a ballad, sometimes switching into  double time in the solos), and "Have You Met Miss Jones" an alltime favourite of mine. 

Got a lot of wellwishes from the guys, the staff and the audience and will be back soon......

Next week I´ll listen to some fine vocal jazz by "Sweet Emma Band" featuring my old friend Paul Zauner, who runs the famous jazz festival "Inntöne" each year, near the German border line......, lookin forward to that. 

I saw Mary Halvorson and Amaryllis quintet last night in Cambridge MA. I was interested as to why she gets so much praise. I had two of her records and was primarily curious. The place was packed, surprisingly with 90% of the people over 50. I expected her audience would be the much younger Berklee College of Music crowd, especially since the tickets weren't that expensive. After a 90-minute set, I wasn't particularly impressed. It was fine. As my college daughter often says - it was meh... Excellent technical proficiency. One tune I liked a lot - sounded like Miles at the Cellar Door. But overall I wasn't moved. I didn't feel anything. Based on her records, it was largely what I expected.

4 nights of Brandon Lopez in various improvising ensembles from last Wednesday thru Saturday night

highlights were the trio with Chuck Roth & Dennis Sullivan on Friday night and then the duo with Fred Moten on Saturday night which was sublime and emotionally devastating. Brilliant. 

Chuck Roth is a genius level improvisor. 27 years old and beyond creative and totally unlike any guitarist I’ve ever heard. 

Also the quintet with T.J. Borden, Michael Foster, Webb Crawford & Joey Sullivan was great. Webb Crawford is a brilliant young guitarist. 

I can’t tell anyone here how great Brandon Lopez is as a bassist and creative inventive force but I will say the 4 day experience will be a lasting one. Certainly I don’t know another bassist who is improvising at this level that I’ve seen live. Plus for my ears, mind and heart he’s pursuing a muse that is in a very powerful oblique and abstract direction and more power to him.

also fit in a trio set with Tony Malaby, Ben Monder & Alan Mednard @ Barbes. Tony stuck with his tenor for this set and had to overcome a slightly too loud Monder but this is a minor quibble. Monder was really bringing it with his effects and Tony mixed his long tones with some elbow flapping high energy classic Malaby playing. The dude is as great as ever. Look forward to 2/17 with Open Loose (with Helias & Rainey) plus Tim Berne. I think the first Open Loose show in 8 or 9 years. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

11 hours ago, tranemonk said:

I saw Mary Halvorson and Amaryllis quintet last night in Cambridge MA. I was interested as to why she gets so much praise. I had two of her records and was primarily curious. The place was packed, surprisingly with 90% of the people over 50. I expected her audience would be the much younger Berklee College of Music crowd, especially since the tickets weren't that expensive. After a 90-minute set, I wasn't particularly impressed. It was fine. As my college daughter often says - it was meh... Excellent technical proficiency. One tune I liked a lot - sounded like Miles at the Cellar Door. But overall I wasn't moved. I didn't feel anything. Based on her records, it was largely what I expected.

FWIW, I like her more than that. And (yes) I have seen her live.

18 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

FWIW, I like her more than that. And (yes) I have seen her live.

Seeing Mary in more preferred settings for me 3 times this month. This week in an improvising trio with Nick Jozwiak & Ches Smith. Later this month with Tomeka Reid’s great quartet. In between a trio with Henry Fraser & Tomas Fujiwara.

as an aside, this is a golden age for live left leaning music in NYC/Brooklyn. Much of it is way under the radar but “the gold is where you find it”.

retirement is glorious:)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

15 hours ago, tranemonk said:

I've probably seen her more than anyone else over the last 5 years or so. Either with her own groups or with others like Zorn, Melford or Formanek. She's extremely prolific and seems to be everywhere. I like her but even if I'm not moved by a performance, she always seems to be trying something different. Will no doubt see her in at least one setting at Big Ears next month, too.

Don Byron is up in Toronto this week at The Rex, sitting in with a group fronted by Michael Occhipinti on guitar.  I'm not really sure what to expect.  I saw Byron years and years ago at the Village Vanguard with his own group, but I'm not expecting it to be at all the same.  Anyway, I am definitely going on Thurs., and if I am really into it, I may come back on Sat.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Don Byron is up in Toronto this week at The Rex, sitting in with a group fronted by Michael Occhipinti on guitar.  I'm not really sure what to expect.  I saw Byron years and years ago at the Village Vanguard with his own group, but I'm not expecting it to be at all the same.  Anyway, I am definitely going on Thurs., and if I am really into it, I may come back on Sat.

The only times I've ever seen Byron have been in Canada and enjoyed those gigs, which were around the 'Tuskeegee' period and band lineups. Sounds good at The Rex.

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

I've probably seen her more than anyone else over the last 5 years or so. Either with her own groups or with others like Zorn, Melford or Formanek. She's extremely prolific and seems to be everywhere. I like her but even if I'm not moved by a performance, she always seems to be trying something different. Will no doubt see her in at least one setting at Big Ears next month, too.

Clearly I’m in the minority…but that’s why we listen… We can’t all like the same thing and we’d be in trouble if we did. 

The gig this Wednesday is an improv set with Mary, Nick Jozwiak & the *great* Ches Smith. In a tiny room in Brooklyn. The small groups are the place to really “hear” Mary Halvorson. I strongly recommend Hotel Grief on Intakt by the Tom Rainey, Ingrid Laubrock & Mary Halvorson. Freely improvised MUCH different than the overly composed larger ensemble music. 

to my ears it’s much more exciting as well as I tend not to be moved by more academic structured music. Not just with Mary either.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

The gig this Wednesday is an improv set with Mary, Nick Jozwiak & the *great* Ches Smith. In a tiny room in Brooklyn. The small groups are the place to really “hear” Mary Halvorson. I strongly recommend Hotel Grief on Intakt by the Tom Rainey, Ingrid Laubrock & Mary Halvorson. Freely improvised MUCH different than the overly composed larger ensemble music. 

to my ears it’s much more exciting as well as I tend not to be moved by more academic structured music. Not just with Mary either.

A lot of good music coming out on INTAKT these days.