What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night

Kelsey Mines solo double bass

Webb Crawford solo guitar

both utterly unique and brilliant

Michael Foster’s Ghost with Brandon Lopez on double bass & Joey Sullivan on drums

Foster on tenor, baritone & soprano saxophone 

stunning incandescent blazing set. Foster is one of the greatest saxophonists on the scene today. 

23 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Last night

Kelsey Mines solo double bass

Webb Crawford solo guitar

both utterly unique and brilliant

Michael Foster’s Ghost with Brandon Lopez on double bass & Joey Sullivan on drums

Foster on tenor, baritone & soprano saxophone 

stunning incandescent blazing set. Foster is one of the greatest saxophonists on the scene today. 

very nice lineup

4 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Tardo Hammer with Nat Steele and Steve Brown tonight at the Parrakeet NW5 (daft name, should have stuck with the original Victorian name the Oxford Tavern).

Anthony

Nat Steele and Steve Brown sounded good when I heard them last year.

Never seen Tardo though. Agree with you re: Oxford Tavern. I guess they have rebranded it.

Edited by sidewinder

8 hours ago, colinmce said:

very nice lineup

Plus best vibe I’ve ever experienced in live music the last 9 months especially in these small rooms in Brooklyn. Hanging out between sets with Brandon, Kevin & some of the other musicians is a roar. Brandon is the best. 

seeing Webb again on Wednesday plus an awesome cellist named T.J. Borden.

most importantly the duo of James McKain on tenor saxophone and the miraculous Chuck Roth on guitar. I’ve seen them 2-3 times and her (Chuck) 4-5 times the last few months. Recordings of both of them solo and then duo will happen in the near future. 

for those wondering the audience is young, alive and open to new vibrant and radical brilliant music. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, mjazzg said:

I'd like to seebher.bFound the couple of albums I've heard pretty interesting 

This was an avant-garde rock set. Spectacular. Zoh played some guitar and sang one song. Ismaily was beyond great as was Steve Gunn

seeing Zoh again the next 2 or even 3 nights

tonight is sign Forbes Graham, gabby fluke-mogul & Luke Stewart

friday is with Patrick Shiroishi, Wendy Eisenberg & Chris Corsano

saturday is with Micah Thomas & Corsano

expecting free jazz Friday & Saturday 

who knows what tonight will bring 

On 7/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, mjazzg said:

I'd like to seebher.bFound the couple of albums I've heard pretty interesting 

This was an avant-garde rock set. Spectacular. Zoh played some guitar and sang one song. Ismaily was beyond great as was Steve Gunn

tonight is Forbes Graham, gabby fluke-mogul & Luke Stewart

On 7/28/2023 at 2:22 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

tonight is sign Forbes Graham, gabby fluke-mogul & Luke Stewart

Last night mind blowing 1 hour piece with some thematic elements. As great as Zoh, Forbes & Luke were, gabby fluke-mogul played as great on violin as I have ever heard. Genius level from many perspectives. 

looking forward to tonight 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Not tonight but I have just booked to see Ron Carter with his ‘Foresight’ quartet in London during November. It will be a travel challenge to get in but Ron is worth it ! Never seen Ron Carter to date so should be great (and it will mean that I will then have seen all members of Miles’ Second Great Quintet play).

Have just been watching Ron’s documentary film on PBS - hugely impressive.

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

358712383_10227712044845502_858639351058

Image of Phil Bancroft from 23/7/23 Edinburgh International Jazz Festival. In camera multiple exposure onto 35mm  Ilford Delta 3200 film.

Very nice shot !

I remember seeing the Bancroft bothers, Phil and Tom, with their band at the Bath Fest, must be best part of 20 years ago now. Alas, that festival (as far as jazz is concerned) is now history.

14 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

John Zorn’s  Cobra with a great crew including

Trevor Dunn, Brian Marsella, Ches Smith, Kenny Wolleson, Miles Okazaki, Wendy Eisenberg etc.

At Roulette in Brooklyn

Looking forward to seeing it here in SF in a few weeks. Saw it at Big Ears in March and it was amazing!

16 hours ago, BFrank said:

Looking forward to seeing it here in SF in a few weeks. Saw it at Big Ears in March and it was amazing!

It was incredible last night. Taylor Levine, Trevor Dunn & Ches Smith were beyond. They would make a great power trio. 55 minutes 5 sections. During the 4th piece it was so intense Zorn encouraged the audience and they got a partial standing ovation while they were playing. I was sitting right next to Zorn two feet away with the band 10 feet away. Some of it was insanely loud in a very great way. 

9 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

It was incredible last night. Taylor Levine, Trevor Dunn & Ches Smith were beyond. They would make a great power trio. 55 minutes 5 sections. During the 4th piece it was so intense Zorn encouraged the audience and they got a partial standing ovation while they were playing. I was sitting right next to Zorn two feet away with the band 10 feet away. Some of it was insanely loud in a very great way. 

Wow! Can't wait!