What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Well, I can tell you whom I'm not seeing.  Vijay Iyer has a mini-tour across Canada in next two weeks: Vancouver, Montreal and even Ottawa, but he can't be bothered to squeeze in Toronto.  https://vijay-iyer.com/events/

While the local jazz scene isn't too bad, the overall jazz scene in Toronto (and ability to drawn bigger names from the States or Europe) is absolutely dire.  It really was quite a bit better when I was living in Vancouver.  Sigh...

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I arrived in New York yesterday after 450+ miles of driving, took a brief nap and caught two sets of George Coleman at Smalls with Spike Wilner, Peter Washington and Joe Farnsworth.  On the way back to my car, I gave in to temptation and saw a Tardo Hammer set at Mezzrow.  The presence of Steve Williams on the gig (Lee Hudson was on bass) ultimately sold me on it, as I am a Shirley Horn fan.  I then got caught in a traffic snarl that added 50 minutes on to my drive home. :wacko:

Tonight I saw a Warren Vache trio gig at Shanghai, with guitarist Doug Clarke (a protege of Tal Farlow!) and bassist Earl Sauls.  Tomorrow will end the trip with two sets of George Cables at the Vanguard.  

The day after I return, I'll be catching Herbie Hancock.  I'd say this is a good week.

Soft Machine - excellent gig up in York. John Etheridge, Theo Travis, Fred T. Baker and Asaf Sirkis. John E. confirmed that John Marshall and Roy Babbington had now taken well earned retirement (60 years of gigs for Marshall !), now replaced by Sirkis and Baker respectively.

A nice mix of ‘old classics’ and recent material was featured in the two sets. Etheridge seems ageless !

Weather does not look like it will cooperate at all tomorrow for the Toronto Jazz Fest, which is a real shame.  ☹️ I am not sure I will be able to get to any of the outdoor events.  I am still planning on going to The Rex tomorrow to catch Pat LaBabera and then have tickets to Brad Mehldau Trio/Avishai Cohen Trio at Koerner Hall on Monday.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:48 AM, ejp626 said:

Weather does not look like it will cooperate at all tomorrow for the Toronto Jazz Fest, which is a real shame.  ☹️ I am not sure I will be able to get to any of the outdoor events.  I am still planning on going to The Rex tomorrow to catch Pat LaBabera and then have tickets to Brad Mehldau Trio/Avishai Cohen Trio at Koerner Hall on Monday.

Surprisingly, the weather cleared up (though it was pretty muggy) and I saw the Trash Pandas Brass Band (mostly playing arrangements of Lady Gaga and Madonna songs 🏳️‍🌈) and Mark Kelso & the Jazz Exiles at the Jazz Fest.  Then later I swung by The Rex.  Pat played one original and lots of interesting standards, including Tricotism and Monk's We See (instead of more commonly played songs).  Neil Swainson was terrific.  Pat said that he actually was playing the saxophone once owned by Lucky Thompson!

Tonight, bad weather prevented Brad Mehldau from making the gig!!!  ☹️  In truth, I was there mostly to see Avishai Cohen (this was the bass player and his trio), but of course would have preferred to see both.  Some people clearly requested refunds, but for those who stayed, Avishai played for 90 minutes and it was quite the set.

So a lot of stunning bass playing over the past few days. 👍

Tonight saw Mark Dresser, Larry Ochs & Vladimir Tarasov

“Jones Jones”

Stunning 1 hour set. Uber restraint and genius level improvisation 

3 pieces between 17 to 20 minutes then a stunning 3-4 minute coda. Short piece the only time Tarasov used standard drum sticks. Mallets & brushes with a couple of bells & a small tambourine used as only a master can.

Ochs as brilliant as ever, Dresser among the best 3-4 bassists on the planet and Tarasov is still Tarasov. Blessed to see this very rare occurrence for the second time.

If my back holds out I’ll see BassDrumBone tomorrow night (Helias, Hemingway & Anderson), then Crispell, Dresser & Hemingway Saturday night.

next week 2 shows with Ochs. Trio with Nels Cline & Gerald Cleaver then a quintet with Trevor Dunn, Jason Hao Kwang, Fred Lonberg-Holm & Kate Gentile. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 6/28/2023 at 11:23 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Tonight saw Mark Dresser, Larry Ochs & Vladimir Tarasov

“Jones Jones”

Stunning 1 hour set. Uber restraint and genius level improvisation 

3 pieces between 17 to 20 minutes then a stunning 3-4 minute coda. Short piece the only time Tarasov used standard drum sticks. Mallets & brushes with a couple of bells & a small tambourine used as only a master can.

Ochs as brilliant as ever, Dresser among the best 3-4 bassists on the planet and Tarasov is still Tarasov. Blessed to see this very rare occurrence for the second time.

If my back holds out I’ll see BassDrumBone tomorrow night (Helias, Hemingway & Anderson), then Crispell, Dresser & Hemingway Saturday night.

next week 2 shows with Ochs. Trio with Nels Cline & Gerald Cleaver then a quintet with Trevor Dunn, Jason Hao Kwang, Fred Lonberg-Holm & Kate Gentile. 

Crispell, Dresser & Hemingway delivered a 62 minute continuous set of Braxton’s music with an intensity & pure genius that no words can be found to describe what was played 3 hours ago. Best set of the last 9 months and I’ve seen at least 40 to 50 sets of jazz/free improv as this was on that level above and beyond. 

to see my heroes in the glass box theatre 10 feet away was another musical dream come true. They are all better than ever. Astounding.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

12 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Crispell, Dresser & Hemingway delivered a 62 minute continuous set of Braxton’s music with an intensity & pure genius that no words can be found to describe what was played 3 hours ago. Best set of the last 9 months and I’ve seen at least 40 to 50 sets of jazz/free improv as this was on that level above and beyond. 

to see my heroes in the glass box theatre 10 feet away was another musical dream come true. They are all better than ever. Astounding.

Amazing. Jealous!

btw, maybe I missed it but I would love to hear your thoughts on anything you saw at Vision.

5 hours ago, colinmce said:

Amazing. Jealous!

btw, maybe I missed it but I would love to hear your thoughts on anything you saw at Vision.

Had a very bad back issue and was only able to attend the first 2 nights

1st night highlights: Joelle with Fred Moten & the septet was 40 minutes of genius. They rehearsed almost 30 hours over 3 days and pulled off the execution of a very complex score with intricate improvised sections and solos. Steve Swell, Mat Maneri & Fred Lonberg-Holm absolutely killed it. I’m still amazed at this. One time meeting. Hoping we get a recording of this down the road.

Leandre was immense the whole night / the trio with Taborn & Maneri a bit better than the trio with Melford & Mitchell

2nd night highlights: Black Host delivered with Seabrook the highlight as well as Cooper-Moore. Darius Jones not high enough in the mix

Rob Brown with Hilliard Greene & Jackson Krall incredibly great / old school free jazz vibrant and alive. Band explodes once Brown laid out. Hilliard especially great with the bow

Patricia Nicholson ruined the Drake Alice Coltrane project with her incessant yelping and self promotional horseshit. Pathetic but it’s her festival. Her ego knows no bounds. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

16 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Had a very bad back issue and was only able to attend the first 2 nights

1st night highlights: Joelle with Fred Moten & the septet was 40 minutes of genius. They rehearsed almost 30 hours over 3 days and pulled off the execution of a very complex score with intricate improvised sections and solos. Steve Swell, Mat Maneri & Fred Lonberg-Holm absolutely killed it. I’m still amazed at this. One time meeting. Hoping we get a recording of this down the road.

Leandre was immense the whole night / the trio with Taborn & Maneri a bit better than the trio with Melford & Mitchell

2nd night highlights: Black Host delivered with Seabrook the highlight as well as Cooper-Moore. Darius Jones not high enough in the mix

Rob Brown with Hilliard Greene & Jackson Krall incredibly great / old school free jazz vibrant and alive. Band explodes once Brown laid out. Hilliard especially great with the bow

Patricia Nicholson ruined the Drake Alice Coltrane project with her incessant yelping and self promotional horseshit. Pathetic but it’s her festival. Her ego knows no bounds. 

Sorry to hear that, been having similar issues that have thankfully resolved for the time being. It's the worst. Hopefully I will be able to track down some video of these sets.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:42 PM, sidewinder said:

Soft Machine - excellent gig up in York. John Etheridge, Theo Travis, Fred T. Baker and Asaf Sirkis. John E. confirmed that John Marshall and Roy Babbington had now taken well earned retirement (60 years of gigs for Marshall !), now replaced by Sirkis and Baker respectively.

A nice mix of ‘old classics’ and recent material was featured in the two sets. Etheridge seems ageless !

Sounds good. Fred ‘Thelonious’ Baker?

On 7/6/2023 at 5:41 PM, sidewinder said:

Starting tomorrow night, 3 days of British jazz on the Dorset coast at Swanage.

Forecast looks reasonable and the marquee by the sea is back in action so bodes well. First up is Alan Barnes.

Sounds wonderful, hope the weather held out. Alan Barnes is always good value. 

In a short trip to New Orleans:

On Friday, the obligatory trip to Preservation Hall, this time for Mark Braud and the Preservation Hall All Stars. Love the sound of unamplified instruments in the hall. 

In the evening, at Snug Harbor for the Jason Marsalis Quartet, featuring new to me Ricardo Pascal on tenor and soprano saxophone and Oscar Rossignoli on piano. Eddie Henderson was supposed to be on the bill but cancelled at the last minute. Jason is, I think, the best of the family.

On Saturday, in the late morning, Doreen on clarinet leading a group of buskers on Royal Street. She plays a mean clarinet and makes almost any song sound good.

Later, at D.B.A., Tuba Skinny, featuring the glorious cornet of Shaye Cohn. This was the unusual jazz set with lots of dancers on the dance floor.

In the evening, back at Snug Harbor, for the Larry Sieberth trio, with Herlin Riley on drums, playing a short set before brining on 91 year old jazz vocalist Germaine Bazzle, who was actually quite good, if not exactly my usual cup of tea. But I most enjoyed the playing of the trio, particularly pianist Larry Sieberth  and the amazing Herlin Riley.

On Sunday afternoon, a pleasing set from Secret Six (though there were only five of them in attendance) at Bamboula's.

Edited by kh1958

19 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Last night Larry Ochs with Steve Swell, Tim Berne, Brandon Lopez & Gerald Cleaver

tonight Darius Jones solo then Lopez & Cleaver with Fred Moten

Again both sets far exceeded my expectations. Cleaver & Lopez together are magic. Fred Moten is brilliant and I’m not normally a fan of any spoken word/poetry. Their 45 minute set was a work of musical vision Gerald added in a bit of his own vocalizing with stunning effect. He’s a genius level musician peaking. Seeing him 3 times in 4 days almost not enough. Too bad he doesn’t live here any longer but he says he’ll be back within a month for more gigs. 

Might go tomorrow for the last of their 3 night residency. With Matt Nelson opening on solo tenor saxophone.