What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

I went to Etta James on Tuesday night.

The band was very tight with a horn section.

Has anyone seen her before? I was wondering if she always seems a little out of it. She would introduce tunes, forget which she was introducing, and have to ask the band what song it was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

79 year old burner Red Holloway in a quartet with Art Hillary on piano, Richard Reid on bass and Gerryck King on drums. At the lounge at the Westin Grand on Century near the airport. Three nice sets, no cover. And they wheeled out a big-ass birthday cake for Red between the 2nd and 3rd set.

Just come back from seeing Lee Konitz with superb young Brit pianist Gilwyn Simcox and his trio. For the second half, Lawrence Cottle's big band with a fine, impromptu turn by vocalist Claire Martin. Great night !

Tristano/Konitz/Marsh Mosaic LPs will be on deck tomorrow.

Three nice sets, no cover.

Jeez !

Yep. L.A. has to be the greatest place on earth to listen to great players for almost no money. Tomorrow night Arthur Blythe is playing for a ten buck cover at a tiny little place in downtown LA called Cafe Metropol.

Charlie O's has great jazz seven nights a week with no cover. Well, once in a while they have a cover charge. I'm there a couple of times a month--would be there twice a week if I didn't live 45 miles away and have to be at work at 6AM five or six days a week!

Charlie O's--the best jazz club in Los Angeles

Yep. L.A. has to be the greatest place on earth to listen to great players for almost no money.

Great place for jazz. I worked there for several months on assignment and ended up eating out and seeing jazz just about every night. The choice available and standard of performance was excellent. Not to mention the climate. :tup

Would drive me nuts living there tho' :crazy:

Last night I saw the Deep Space Posse w/ Marshall Allen, Tyrone Brown, Howard Cooper, Elliot Levin, Danny Thompson, Eddie Jones at a tiny bar about two blocks from my house. It was Marshall's 82 birthday. Tonight it's McCoy Tyner(w/ Gary Bartz and John Blake!)and Saturday night it's Bud Shank celebrating his 80th birthday. Great weekend for Jazz in Philly.

Edited by Chalupa

Last night I saw a tribute to Barry Harris, which featured Hank Jones, Charles McPherson, Earl May, Leroy Williams and dancer Jimmy Slyde. Barry and Hank both did solo numbers, trios, and quartets (adding Charles) and in the 2nd half, they both played with the band on 2 separate Steinway's. Jimmy Slyde was the Man!

Managed to get to Amsterdam to see Andrew Hill at the Bimhuis this Friday. Originally was billed with Greg Tardy and Charles Tolliver, but Byron Wallen and Jason Yarde substituted for them.

The line-up

ANDREW HILL NEW QUINTET

Byron Wallen-trumpet, Jason Yarde-tenor saxophone, clarinet, Andrew Hill-piano, John Hebert-bass, Eric McPherson-drums

It was good angular music. I think mostly from Time Lines, though I am not certain about that. Generally, Andrew doesn't play that much and lets the horns dominate. There was one pretty good bowed solo by the bass player. I thought Andrew looked about the same as when I saw him three years back in Chicago. I managed to snap a shot or two on my cell phone, and if I can ever figure how to unload that, I will post it here. I had a great seat about three rows back. I made it through the first set and most of the second when I had to run to catch my train.

I think he'll be back through England and Europe a little later in the summer.

If I can manage to keep enough sunscreen applied, I hope to spend at least one day at the Atlanta Jazz Festival on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

The first day's lineup:

Rene Marie 3 pm

Benny Golson Quartet 4 pm

The United Trombone Summitt - Curtis Fuller, Delfeayo Marsalis, Steve Turre & Robin Eubanks 5:30 pm

Carmen Lundy & The New Songbook Artists (including Bobby Watson) 7 pm

McCoy Tyner Trio 8:30 pm

The remainder of the weekend includes Barry Harris, Donald Byrd, Geri Allen and others. This is the best lineup that AJF has featured in some time.

• 4 weeks later...

In a few hours: Gary Burton Quartet feat. Pat Metheny, Steve Swallow, and Antonio Sanchez.

Good for you! I had great seats to hear Metheny/Burton here in NJ touring to support that Reunion album in '90. Now if they would only use Eberhard Weber on bass... :g

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Douglas/Henry Grimes/Andrew Cyrille/JD Allen at the Stone in NYC on Sunday night. I'd LOVE to see this....if anyone goes, please give a review...

I had a chance to go over to the Stone with Henry Grimes & Margaret while in nyc in early June but had too many other things lines up....hear it's a great place to go....maybe next time. Henry is a great guy and not to be missed.

m~