Joe Henderson Fans:

Jazzmoose

I have two Henderson discs, Page One and Inner Urge. I enjoy both. The former, in my opinion, is a great example of the Blue Note sound and worthy of all the praise it gets. But Inner Urge....WOW!!! So, a question of all the Henderson fans here: If I want more stuff like Inner Urge, which Henderson disc would you recommend I grab next? Thanks!

Three of my favorite albums with Joe Henderson:

Bobby Hutcherson - Stick Up! - Blue Note

recorded on July 14, 1966, with:

Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone

Bobby Hutcherson - vibraphone

McCoy Tyner - piano

Herbie Lewis - bass

Billy Higgins - drums

Andrew Hill - Black Fire - Blue Note

recorded on November 8, 1963, with:

Andrew Hill - piano

Richard Davis - bass

Roy Haynes - drums

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure - Blue Note

recorded on March 31, 1964, with:

Kenny Dorham - trumpet

Eric Dolphy - alto saxophone, flute, bass clarinet

Andrew Hill - piano

Richard Davis - bass

Anthony Williams - drums

Edited by J.A.W.

one more for Basra!

then:

The State of the Tenor, Live at the Village Vanguard (2CD, Blue Note, with Ron Carter & Al Foster)

Mirror Mirror (MPS, 1980, with Chick Corea, Ron Carter, Billy Higgins)

Then the other Henderson-Dorham Blue Note collaborations:

Our Thing (with Andrew Hill)

Kenny Dorham, Una Mas! (with Herbie Hancock)

and then let's hope Dorham's Trompeta Toccatta will reappear (I never heard it)

then some more:

Lee Morgan, Sidewinder

Lee Morgan, Rumproller

Andrew Hill, Point of Departure

Andrew Hill, Black Fire

these are only the ones which come to my mind right now.

ubu

...And don't forget these albums:

Joe Henderson - Our Thing - Blue Note

recorded on September 9, 1963, with:

Kenny Dorham - trumpet

Andrew Hill - piano

Eddie Khan - bass

Pete La Roca - drums

Joe Henderson - In 'n Out - Blue Note

recorded on April 10, 1964, with:

Kenny Dorham - trumpet

McCoy Tyner - piano

Richard Davis - bass

Elvin Jones - drums

Joe Henderson - Mode for Joe - Blue Note

recorded on January 27, 1966, with:

Lee Morgan - trumpet

Curtis Fuller - trombone

Bobby Hutcherson - vibraphone

Cedar Walton - piano

Ron Carter - bass

Joe Chambers - drums

As a sideman:

Of course, Point of departure

And The sidewinder or The rumproller (Lee Morgan); Idle moments (Grant Green); Song for my father (Horace Silver); The real McCoy (McCoy Tyner); The prisoner (Herbie Hancock) and more and more. He was a helluva of a player!

Another CD I like is Roy Hargrove´s With the tenors of our time (Verve, 1994) featuring Joe Henderson, Johnny Griffin, Joshua Redman, Stanley Turrentine and Brandford Marsalis

Was revisiting the Milestone box yesterday; what a coincidence! Don't forget these recordings. I only listened to discs 1 & 2 yesterday, and was pleasantly BLOWN AWAY! I've really ignored this set for a while, but yesterday it was hitting me, big time! And the sound quality is really quite excellent. The two sets I listened to: "The Kicker" and "Tetragon" were most enjoyable. Great Ron Carter playing on those; he was ON! I had completely forgotten that "The Kicker" album featured Grachun Moncur. Nice version of Miles' "Nardis" on that set.

I'll be spending more time with this set. B)

Hello???!!!!!!

f37182hxe89.jpg

AMG: McCoy Tyner - "The Real McCoy"

McCoy's "The Real McCoy" has nearly the same exact line-up as Joe's "Inner Urge", same instrumentation, Elvin, and only the bass player is different.

Yet another one for Basra!!!!

Also, be sure to get Joe's "Mode For Joe", but WAIT - it's coming out as a U.S. RVG this Fall. DON'T get the current issue. It sounds OK (I guess), but I'd wait. GREAT album ("Mode For Joe"), probably my all-time favorite Joe Henderson album.

Was revisiting the Milestone box yesterday; what a coincidence!  Don't forget these recordings.  I only listened to discs 1 & 2 yesterday, and was pleasantly BLOWN AWAY!  I've really ignored this set for a while, but yesterday it was hitting me, big time!  And the sound quality is really quite excellent.  The two sets I listened to: "The Kicker" and "Tetragon" were most enjoyable.  Great Ron Carter playing on those; he was ON!  I had completely forgotten that "The Kicker" album featured Grachun Moncur.  Nice version of Miles' "Nardis" on that set. 

I'll be spending more time with this set.   B)

Be sure to listen to "Power To The People", which I think you already did if you heard disc #2 (tracks 6-12).

"Power To The People" is my all-time favorite non-BN album by Joe Henderson!!!!! :rsmile: :rsmile: :rsmile:

And by the way, I might add that Joe is my all-time favorite tenor player. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have to second EKE BBB's recommendation for "State of the Tenor". I have 7 of his albums, and that one is my absolute favorite. Amazing album with Joe, Ron Carter and Al Foster live at the Village Vanguard. An absolutely incredible album. I think its Joe's best playing ever.

Recently I was revisiting McCoy Tyner's "New York Reunion" on Chesky with Henderson, Ron Carter and Al Foster. IMO Joe is just tremendous on this date, and the recording quality gives his tenor sound a wonderful "up front" presence and fullness that you don't always hear on some other recordings. A brilliant CD from every perspective.

Was revisiting the Milestone box yesterday; what a coincidence!  Don't forget these recordings.  I only listened to discs 1 & 2 yesterday, and was pleasantly BLOWN AWAY!  I've really ignored this set for a while, but yesterday it was hitting me, big time!  And the sound quality is really quite excellent.  The two sets I listened to: "The Kicker" and "Tetragon" were most enjoyable.  Great Ron Carter playing on those; he was ON!  I had completely forgotten that "The Kicker" album featured Grachun Moncur.  Nice version of Miles' "Nardis" on that set. 

I'll be spending more time with this set.   B)

Be sure to listen to "Power To The People", which I think you already did if you heard disc #2 (tracks 6-12).

"Power To The People" is my all-time favorite non-BN album by Joe Henderson!!!!! :rsmile: :rsmile: :rsmile:

And by the way, I might add that Joe is my all-time favorite tenor player. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Rooster,

I actually did give the PTTP set a spin, this morning, and this one WAS NOT grabbing me! :o I was really looking forward to it too. Great lineup...(HERBIE!!!) But I'm sure it's just me; sometimes my ears hear things differently from day to day. I'll give it another listen later, for sure.

Addendum:

I think I wasn't liking the sound of the electric piano on this one...if that makes sense...

Edited by Parkertown

e31119k0dkv.jpg

My favorite Joe Henderson album has always been Our Thing. Some of the finest Henderson improvisations on record, in my opinion. Listen to his solo on the master take of "Teeter Totter." It's a model of grace, forward motion (as opposed to repetition), and individuality. If there's one Henderson solo to transcribe and learn, in my book it's this one. Hill might not seem the most likely candidate for this album (— Herbie Hancock may have fit the compositional nuances of Kenny Dorham's work more closely), but he nevertheless carves his place into the line-up, adding an essential (and positive) tension. This album, I must also say, has some of Dorham's most beautiful writing ever — emotional, but never maudlin.

A few other single song recommendations:

• Henderson's solo on "Nite Flite," from Lee Morgan's Delightful Lee. A perfect example of Henderson's "bagpipe conception" (his term, I believe; or else it's Don Sickler's) for overblowing. Damn exciting.

• Henderson's cover of "Lazy Afternoon" ... not from Basra, but from his own Power to the People. This later version, I think, is much finer, and much groovier. Hancock has some of the hippest comping here that he's ever committed to wax.

• Henderson's solo on "The Melting Pot," from Freddie Hubbard's Blue Spirits. One bad mother-f'. And defintiely worthy of a :bwallace:

I was going to suggest In 'n' Out and Mode for Joe but the earlier suggestion of The Real McCoy, because of the similar lineup, is an interesting one. You might want to wait for the RVG of Mode----meanwhile Late has persuaded me to dig out and relisten to my copy of Our Thing.

I think I wasn't liking the sound of the electric piano on this one...if that makes sense...

Then IN JAPAN might not be for you. But if you can get past that, there's some of Joe's most freewheeling, loose, inventive, and swinging playing on record. The cat was on fire, and didn't hold nothin' back. Maybe a tad "freer" than the BN stuff, but the tunes are mostly familiar ("Round Midnight", "Blue Bossa", "Out'N In" (AKA "In 'N Out"), with "Junk Blues" being the only newbie) so it's kinda like an "update" of some of that stuff, a "progress report", if you will.

If you got the Milestone box, you got it already. Might as well give it a shot (or 2), maybe?

I love Joe's Milestone box, nearly as much as his Blue Note work.

At least for me, when it comes to Joe, it's all good!!!! :wub::g:wub::g:wub::g:wub::g:party:

But seriously, can anybody point out an album where they think Joe seriously misfired???

I haven't found one yet, and I think I'm up to having heard (and owning) nearly 80% of the man's entire recorded output, sideman dates included. (Maybe closer to 85%.)

You might not like the context (for instance the Milestone years), I'll grant you that - but if you listen specifically to Joe - I don't think he ever fell below a 7 or 8 on a 10 scale. Not too many other jazz musicians I can think of with track records like that, with careers that span nearly 40 years.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

But seriously, can anybody point out an album where they think Joe seriously misfired???

I know a lot of people really dig it, but I've never really enjoyed "So Near, So Far" all that much. It's not Joe Hen so much, but Scofield's guitar. (Again, I know a lot of people really dig that kind of guitar plaing, but it's just not my cup of tea somehow). Plus, I don't think Joe and Sco really mesh all that well on that record.

I would just like to add that Joe's tribute to the music of Billy Strayhorn "Lush Life" is a master work. His ability to mix some of his more "out" tendencies with these beautiful songs is quite impressive.

The album's first cut "Isfahan" is a thing of rare beauty.

I know a lot of people really dig it, but I've never really enjoyed "So Near, So Far" all that much. It's not Joe Hen so much, but Scofield's guitar. (Again, I know a lot of people really dig that kind of guitar plaing, but it's just not my cup of tea somehow). Plus, I don't think Joe and Sco really mesh all that well on that record.

When I first got "So Near, So Far", I couldn't get it out of my CD player for a month. Normally I'm luke-warm on Scofield too. I think I like what he plays, but that tone isn't really my thing. But somehow I was totally taken by the collective musicianship on "So Near, So Far", and I was totally smitten with Joe's playing. (It was first "post-1973" Joe Henderson recording I'd ever heard, along with McCoy's "New York Reunion".)

Years later, I'm no longer as fanatical about "So Near...", but I still really like it quite a lot. Joe's playing, in particual, is great - but I also love Holland and Foster too, and three "10's on a 10 scale" plus one "6 on a 10 scale" still makes for a solid "9", at least in my book. :)