Andrew Hill

JohnS

This fine cd could easily be overlooked, I didn't obtain it untill recently despite knowing of it 4 star rating in Penguin and AMG. This is superb Hill, the music here is very approachable, even playful at times with strong tunes. Clifford Jordan sounds as though he were made for this band and Rufus Reid and Ben Riley back it up beautifully.

If you enjoy Hill and don't know this cd seek it out. If you are unsure about Hill this might be the place to start

This is one of only about four or five Andrew Hill CD's that I am still missing. The line-up looks great, particularly the inclusion of Clifford Jordan. (Is Jordan on every track, or are some tracks 'trio-only' tracks??)

Don't know why I don't have this one, other than I just haven't crossed paths with it at the right time yet.

But I will certainly make it a priority at some point. Thanks for the review!!

(If anybody has an extra "Shades" CD, lemme know - I've got a bunch of trading fodder to offer. Or if someone knows were one can be found cheap, lemme know that too. Thanks!!!)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I don't have this one yet John but will keep an eye open for it and pick it up. In fact I still need to get hold of 'Dusk' and 'A Beautiful Day'. Just keeping up with the Hill Conn's has been almost a full time activity in itself over the last few years.

I have the two later BN sessions - 'Eternal Spirit' and 'But Not Farewell'. I like them both and suspect that 'Shades' will be somewhat comparable to these in style ..

Guest Chaney

Hmmmm.....

A while back, I asked for opinions of Hill's "Blue Black", "Hommage" (sic) and "Nefertiti" over on the JC board. Lots of valuable thoughts were offered on these three and many also recommended that I buy "Shades" which, with Soul Note at the time lacking a North American distributor, made this title very hard to find.

But find it I did. My opinion? To my ear, not one of Hill's better efforts. (The Penguin Guide, All Music Guide and it would seem most jazz lovers would strongly disagree.) Favorite track? "Monk's Glimpse".

I just find the music on this one to be lacking in drama -- perhaps due to the presence of Clifford Jordan. The music is just too... pleasant -- much like the prettiness of "Verona Rag" (recorded in the same year and for the same label).

I find Hill's next effort (two years down the road) much more convincing: "Eternal Spirit" (Blue Note) which features (IMO) the much more sympathetic playing of Greg Osby and Bobby Hutcherson and the same rhythm team of Reid and Riley.

Maybe it'll take a few more listens but at present, I'm just not 'getting' "Shades".

Edited by Chaney

I love "Shades." The second track, "Tripping," is my all-time favorite Hill tune.

Yeah,that track knocks me out still(his best trio performance?).I'd rate the set as his best non-BN,but can understand reservations about Jordan,he's not as dark a player as hornmen Hill usually favours but that provides a nice contrast for me.

The inclusion of Jordan (& Reid) gives SHADES a "Chicago Flavor" similar to what you find on SO IN LOVE and ANDREW!!! (the Hill album closest in vibe to SHADES, imo). Every so often, Hill offers up these warm, lyrical, "song-y" albums that go against the grain of the general public's perception of his music (SPIRAL was another one). If the adjectives "warm", "lyrical", and "inviting" are applicable to SHADES in a way that they aren't to much of his other output, and in terms of how the "mainstream jazz audience" might percieve the music I think they are, then so be it.

If Hill's intent was to make that kind of album, then Jordan was an inspired choice who delivers marvellously. He was no stranger to "outside-inside" music (see his own IN THE WORLD or Richard Davis' NOW'S THE TIME), and I think he fits in perfectly with the overall GROUP vibe projected here. Whether or not that vibe meets the listener's expectations or not is a matter entirely of personal taste, but I think the group gels quite nicely (maybe SHADES is for some what GRASS ROOTS is for me... :) ).

No matter, the closing ballad, "La Verne", is a ridiculously beautiful, warm, and touching piece that for my money is one of the highlights of both Hill's AND Jordan's recorded output. "Recquired Listening", that's what that one ought to be.

Great as it was to see Hill back on Blue Note,Eternal Spirit was a slight disappointment(particularly as it saw a reunion with Hutcherson)-dare I say lightweight in places,nice enough but not for Hill to me(not a patch on Shades!).Had to join the digital age back then to get "But Not Farewell",well worth it,a vast improvement,far more "meat" on the pieces too.

I agree that But Not Farewell has more of the edge and sense of adventure that listeners expect from Hill than Eternal Spirit, but I very much enjoy both recordings. Maybe I am reluctant to discount Eternal Spirit's value because I was fortunate enough to catch that group live at the Knitting factory around the time it was recorded or released (can't remember which). Memorable experience!

Edited by relyles

• 1 year later...

This is one of only about four or five Andrew Hill CD's that I am still missing.

WTF???

Rooster, shame on you.

Get it now. I want to hear you gush :P

By coincidence I pulled this out the other day. It is a keeper, reminds me a bit of Black Fire (probably due to instrumentation) and Andrew!!! as mentioned above. Relatively easy to digest Hill, not that there is anything wrong with "hard to digest" Hill :)

Edited by Eric

• 9 months later...

This fine cd could easily be overlooked, I didn't obtain it untill recently despite knowing of it 4 star rating in Penguin and AMG. This is superb Hill, the music here is very approachable, even playful at times with strong tunes. Clifford Jordan sounds as though he were made for this band and Rufus Reid and Ben Riley back it up beautifully.

If you enjoy Hill and don't know this cd seek it out. If you are unsure about Hill this might be the place to start

ditto that!!!!!

:tup