Monk's "London Collection"

nmorin

I had foolishly believed the rather lukewarm comments about this material in the Penguin Guide for a long time, but upon scoring the Mosaic set of the Complete Vogue and Black Lion recordings I've finally been giving this music its due. It is truly top drawer Monk IMHO, and I agree that the solo recordings (especially the stuff corresponding to Disc 2 of the Mosaic CD set) are most remarkable.

"Trinkle Trinkle"

"They" say his career was in twilight then. "They" forgot to tell Monk about that. He's going at it with an intensity that the Columbia records often miss.

The argument/misunderstanding between Monk ands his producer at Columbia, Teo Macero (as seen in the Straight No Chaser documentary), lead me to thinking that their relationship was not ideal and Monk might not have felt respected enough with the label. Now we all know how reacted toward this .....

At the time of the Black Lion recordings he had been asked to take part in the Giants of Jazz tour, and to make these recordings, and as usual rewarded his producer with some inspired playing.

Forget what any lukewarm reviews say - these are great! But also somewhat different from earlier Monk. Comparing the solos here with earlier versions is more than interesting.

Edited by mikeweil

I have volumes one and three as 20-bit from 1201 Music (and cheap thanks to Daedalus), but volume two never came out as 20-bit.

I love how the clinking sound turned out to be Monk's overlong fingernails, and they were cut half-way through the session!

Bertrand.

All three volumes did come out as 24-bit remastered reissues in Europe. I got a copy of Vol.2 from Amazon UK earlier this year.

Edited by J.A.W.

Another :tup for these. Absolutely fascinating.

The solo stuff reinforces the comment that Monk was not a bopper, but rather an advanced stride pianist.

The solo and trio selections were all done at the one session, by the way.

These performances show what was lost when Monk went to Columbia from Riverside. (Plus, the Rouse partnership, great at first, went on for too long and became kinda stale.)

Really, one could say that these recordings are about the only good thing to have resulted from that ill-conceived "Giants of Jazz" tour.

I first heard these in the Mosaic set, but the sound is much better on the Black Lion CDs, which are also very cheap and contain three takes not found in the Mosaic.

Full marks to the Poms for taking advantage of the golden opportunity to make these recordings.

I will probably pick up the Black Lion remasters for the few tracks not included in the Mosaic, but would like to say that I find the sound on the Mosaic CDs to be quite good for the era (don't have the set right here in front of me but I believe this was a Malcom Addey job and it shows!).