How many SACD's or SACD/Hybrids do you own?

wolff

How many SACD's or SACD/Hybrids do you own?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the hybrids, I don't see why it does not take off and become more popular.

I'm still holding off. I do not own a player and bought my first hybrid today.

I take it there are not too many labels recording in DSD, which is what I was hoping for.

Many seem to feel the mastering is still more important than the format.

At least the hype is more realistic than it was when ceedees hit the stores.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have one SACD hybrid (the latest "Yo Miles!!" released), but perhaps I'm forgetting about some other one (that I probably don't even realize is a hybrid).

Probably goes without saying that I don't have an SACD player. (I don't even have a DVD player yet. :P ) I generally run with moderately priced "bookshelf" audio systems, so I don't see getting an SACD player anytime soon.

I have close to 100 SACDs, they are listed here.

I think I have now bought all the titles from the existing SACD backlog that interest me, and new discs are becoming more rare. The sheer number of SACDs is growing steadily, but most of them are classical, rather exotic music, or expensive japanese imports.

As far as pop or jazz reissues are concerned, the problems wth hybrid SACDs is pricing. The Dylan or Rolling Stones SACDs were sold at $15 (list price), whereas the consumer is used to getting this music at mid price ($10). That's why the labels reacted by getting out CDs again, even after the hybrid SACDs were released.

Edited by Claude

I have about fifteen. My new tube-output SACD player makes my regular cds sound so flipping good that SACD doesn't seem like the big deal that I thought it would, and though I really like SACD I haven't been buying many. . . as there currently aren't many I don't already have in cd or other form that I want to buy. . . and I'm less interested in duplicating titles than ever.

I have a little more than 50. I'm trying to buy as many titles as I can that interest me, since they seem to be getting harder to find. Like Claude said, many of them are classical issues, but that's OK by me. I would like to see more rock issues/reissues. Some of the few I have, like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" or Godsmack's "The Other Side" are among my favorite SACD's. I'm quite pleased with the few rock DVD-A's I have as well. The recent re-release of Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" is also impressive. Great multichannel mix.

If you're looking at an SACD player, I would still put the music first. SACD seems destined to remain a niche format, and if there aren't enough titles to interest you, maybe it's not worth the investment. Or, you could just get a cheap multiformat player, like I did (I have a Pioneer DV-563A for my listening room and a Sony 755-something-or-other in my living room). I'm pleased with what I have.

Right now, I have only four, but considering I started buying just a month ago, that's a lot!

Plan to get me a Pioneer multi-player next year, as my equipment is not high end, this will be sufficient. The discs I have all sound excellent judging from the CD layer alone, and sound much better than the CD counterparts I own, I plan to get more of the Fantasy SACDs, and the Sonny Clark Trio remastered by Steve Hoffman is already on its way.

The ones I have:

Wes Montgomery Trio (Riverside)

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue (Riverside)

Sonny Rollins - The Sound of Sonny (Riverside)

Bach: Goldberg Variations - Jory Vinikour (Delos)

I'd have to count them, but it's definitely more than 50. Anyone who's into jazz and hasn't picked up any of the Analogue Productions SACD hybrids must do so... they'll be in for a real treat, both sonically and musically. I just ordered another 5 of them for Christmas. I love it when my wife lets me shop for myself. :)

Later,

Kevin

I wish I could afford the Analogue Productions.....

I order mine from Bull Moose Music in Salem, NH. They have a website as well but I've never used them. They list APO SACDs for $20.54 each, which is a pretty good price. Sure, it's not $11.99 like a standard OJC but I really believe you owe it to yourself to pick up at least one (I'd recommend Adderley's "Know What I Mean?").

Later,

Kevin

The Dylan or Rolling Stones SACDs were sold at $15 (list price), whereas the consumer is used to getting this music at mid price ($10). That's why the labels reacted by getting out CDs again, even after the hybrid SACDs were released.

Right, corporations know how to lead the market, but in this case they failed, maybe they have been too greedy. They didn't want loose money in the short period.

Edited by porcy62

I have one.

But I have decided to buy hybrid SACDs whenever there's an important release I don't have and which is available in that format at a resonable price (usually 12 to 15 Euro here, which is acceptable).

On my system, there's a definite difference, but it's not so drastic to merit replacing CDs I already have. I'm happy with most of my "standard" CD remasters and given the age of the recordings (my interests are mostly 1930s to middle 60s), I don't think that there's that much to gain.

I'm not at all interested in surround sound (although I'm contemplating some surround sound headphones of the more expensive caliber for films), so there's no real incentive for me.

Cheers!

jazzbo Posted on Dec 15 2004, 06:37 AM  

I have about fifteen. My new tube-output SACD player makes my regular cds sound so flipping good that SACD doesn't seem like the big deal that I thought it would, and though I really like SACD I haven't been buying many. . . as there currently aren't many I don't already have in cd or other form that I want to buy. . . and I'm less interested in duplicating titles than ever. 

Nicely said Lon, my sentiments exactly. The 12-15 SACDs (most hybrids) that I have I've had now for almost a year, stopped buying them when I got my tube amp and DAC, which make redbook CD sound fantastic. On lower end systems, you probably will hear a definite advantage for SACD, as I did, but this begs the question about whether you would be better off spending the money on a better listening system.

Something to seriously consider if you have a large collection (in the 1000s at least) of regular CDs...upgrading your amp and CD player rig is a bit expensive up front but probably (no, definitely) money saving in the long run as you won't have to rebuy your core collection of recordings. Also, it will be YEARS (if ever) before the more obscure stuff many of us like ever sees SACD reissue.

I'm just glad I didn't invest much money in my (now basically dormant) SACD player.

Edited by DrJ

Sometime ago, I used a Border's Gift Card I received to purchase Gene Harris Listen Here as a Concord Hybrid reissue. I figured that if I ever decided to go somewhere to check out an SACD system, I'd rather have my own SACD to use to demo it, but I certainly wasn't about to shell out cash for it.

Nearly fell off my seat when I read this post but I guess we all change :). I have none but how would SACDs sound on a regular cd player?

I have none but how would SACDs sound on a regular cd player?

Did you learn nothing from Greg's pontificating?

SACDs have dual layers. One plays in SACD players, one plays in regular CD players. The CD layer has standard CD mastering and is supposed to sound like a decently mastered CD (that may be circular, but you know what I mean).

Hi Brad, yes, I've made a change because of the sonic change in my system. Not unusual really. I'm more interested in live recordings that were broadcast, new material I've never heard before, etc. than upgrading to "better sounding" discs because discs I've had sound really good now. . . !

Most SACD hybrids I've heard that can be listened to on a cd player have new remastering that sounds awful good on the cd layer. If you were going to pick up some hybrid SACDs I'd suggest grabbing the "Sonny Clark Trio" and the "Tommy Turrentine" on Audiophile Records (I think) which I have heard will not be available much longer. . . .