Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

Sorry if this is beating the horse. Anyway, I was also most interested in Basra, since I had the others in this batch on CD or LP (I'll still probably upgrade the Hi Voltage but will wait until it hits yourmusic). So I decided to order Basra through HMV.co.uk, even though it had copy protection. It just showed up and I had no problem making a clean copy using FreeRip. I assume most other software would be just as successful.

So I agree it should be released in the US (and probably will be once certain people come to their senses), but this is a viable route if you just can't wait.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the dicussion on the title is concerned, I completely fail to see how the reissue could create a controversy. How could it possibly be seen as a political comment or insensible act?

Exactly. Who could possibly be offended?? People who were for the war?? People who were against??

I have yet to see any explaination, that in any way clarifies how anyone could be offended.

Again I ask -- how could anyone be offended???

You realize, of course, that "Basra" is an anagram of "Arabs". No doubt, the music itself consists of coded messages, a la Webern in WWII: http://aulos.calarts.edu/pipermail/music-d...ber/021485.html

Sending message to the enemy in times of war is a treasonous offense, punishable by death. Don't we have enough dead jazz musicians as it is?

I think we should commend BN on their valiant efforts to spare Pete LaRocca's life, even if he is a traitor.

I've just ordered Basra from Amazon (UK) , now I'm beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing - whats going to happen to me when I play it??? Am I going to be pro war ? Anti? Am I going to want to sign up to army ? Shit I might go back & cancel the order quick I don't think I want to even to begin to understand the supernatural power of this CD!

Edited by Gary

I've just ordered Basra from Amazon (UK) , now I'm beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing - whats going to happen to me when I play it??? Am I going to be pro war ? Anti? Am I going to want to sign up to army ? Shit I might go back & cancel the order quick I don't think I want to even to begin to understand the supernatural power of this CD!

:lol::lol:

I heard it comes with a "suitable for framing" photo of George Bush and Tony Blair kissing each other. :wub:

WTF is up with the night in tunisia cover?

i could've done a better job down at kinko's

ss1

I mentioned the same thing to the store owner as I traded in my old copy. He said he preferred the new copy. What a salesman! :blink:

I enjoy the aged look of the RVG covers. :D

It makes me feel like I actually sprung for the vinyl. ;)

Have you seen a copy of the original LP?

They do look like this.

B00076NYBE.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

uhmmm no. they look more like this:

B00079ZA0Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

mind the catalogue number! ;)

BTW, did the new RVGs all get the original catalogue numbers or is this just for the cover and is there something else on the spine? The pic Jim posted is the European version, which has a different number anyhow.

"Jazzcritic" posted over on All About Jazz that they talked to someone in Blue Note's marketing department and was told that the decision to hold back "Basra" was Pete La Roca's. I was told almost as much but the people I talked to were less specific. They mostly blamed the war for causing some people to worry that this title might upset some.

As for the covers, from the beginning of the RVG series, Blue Note has been using new scans of original LP covers for the CD artwork. Many have come from Bob Belden's private collection.

Later,

Kevin

As for the covers, from the beginning of the RVG series, Blue Note has been using new scans of original LP covers for the CD artwork. Many have come from Bob Belden's private collection.

Yes, I was referring to the catalogue numbers. Green Street, for example, has 32082 (EU: 32088) instead of 84071. They used to simply have a scan, original catalogue number included, then they inserted the new numbers, and now they seem to be back with the old practise. Not that it makes the music sound any different, it's just something I noticed.

Edited by couw

Speaking of sound, how DOES the sound of the "Night in Tunisia" RVG compare to the earlier CD? A similar question about the "Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers" RVG is pending in another thread, and there are a few of us (maybe 3 or 4 total?) in the world who would like to know how the actual sound compares before "upgrading" to RVGs, 20-bit K2s, Sense-o-Round, Cinerama, Smell-o-Vision . . . . :wacko:

I haven't gotten these RVGs yet, but Ron, whatever you do, DO NOT listen to the Smell-o-Vision version of "A Night in Tunisia" without several open windows!  By the end of that track the band is RIPE!

Thanks for the sage advice, Londalf. I made the mistake of getting the Smell-o-Vision edition of "Free For All"--had to air out the house for WEEKS. :wacko:

Waaaaaaaaay back in fall I sold some disc that were coming out as RVGs, one of them TRUE BLUE. I had a Spanish release. Sold it on Half.com.

Fast forward to today. I'm looking over some of my feedback on half.com and see that the guy who bought TRUE BLUE had preodered it so he didn't see the description that stated it was the Spanish version and he thought he was getting the Conn.

So I email this guy to let him know I'll give him a refund if he sends the disc back or half his money if he keeps it. Needless to say he was quite shocked to hear from me 6 months later.

Maybe not the quickest customer service but service non the less!!

Fast forward to today.  I'm looking over some of my feedback on half.com and see that the guy who bought TRUE BLUE had preodered it so he didn't see the description that stated it was the Spanish version and he thought he was getting the Conn. 

Maybe not the quickest customer service but service non the less!!

That is good customer service! Actually he should be happy to have the Spanish version. I've had the JRVG and now the new RVG (for the bouns tracks) but the Stereo Spread on the Spanish verison is way better than either of those and makes it a keeper for me.

The Basra RVG (copyprotected) will be released in Germany on March 7, unless this is based on old information. The cover print seems to be ready.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00076NYB4/

B00076NYB4.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00076NYB4.03.BACK.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

As far as the dicussion on the title is concerned, I completely fail to see how the reissue could create a controversy. How could it possibly be seen as a political comment or insensible act?

Even if the artist himself wanted it, the decision to delay or rename the release is just stupid.

Saw an asnew secondhand copy of it at my favorite store. Was not too keen on getting the copy controlled version but it was on sale at €4,54 (about $5,50).

I'm listening to this now.

It will enable my vinyl mono album to get a well deserved rest!

• 1 year later...

I'm obviously coming into this thread with a belated initial post, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any plans to finally release Basra in the US? I was among those expecting to purchase the CD on its scheduled date of release; it's taken a while for me to get over being pissed about all that nonsense, but I finally broke down yesterday and ordered the British import. Knowing my luck, it will finally release in the US now that I've done that.

Reading through this thread, I realize that the Basra horse has been duly flogged, but I just wanted to add that it has been my impression all along that the party at fault was none other than Mr. Sims (née LaRoca) himself. After all, he was Sims, then LaRoca, then Sims again, so his track record with picking a name and staying with it is none too impressive.