The Mocking Shadows.

cooltrane

Don't worry, Cool, the guys are just funnin' you. Don't think anyone else here has heard of the Mocking Shadows (great band name, btw), so the thread veers off into talk about giant pussy cats and such stuff. Pretty typical around here actually... :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, Cool, the guys are just funnin' you. Don't think anyone else here has heard of the Mocking Shadows (great band name, btw), so the thread veers off into talk about giant pussy cats and such stuff. Pretty typical around here actually... :lol:

he said pussy. heheh. heheh.

Don't know the Mocking Shadows. The only band from Calgary I've heard is the 49th Parallel whose most excellent 45 "Labourer" I have around here someplace. I could ask my brother in Saskatoon if he's heard the MSs...

By the way Cooltrane, if you haven't figured it out yet it's "Maceo Parker" and ther is something inherently funny 'bout the idea of a Canadian funk band, although no more so than say AWB who were Scots (but they were in on the joke, hence their name). Maybe they should cover Hank M's "Funk In Deep Freeze".

Edited by danasgoodstuff

QUOTE (danasgoodstuff @ Jan 7 2005, 06:35 PM)

ther is something inherently funny 'bout the idea of a Canadian funk band 

Why?

Because there is no way there are enough funky people in SASKATOON to form a funk band. A funk band can't just come from anywhere. Even here in the states.

You say funk I think New Orleans, Memphis, Atlanta, Philly, New York, D.C., Detroit. Not San Antonio, Little Rock, Omaha, Seattle, CALGARY.

If you need evidence, listen to the clips of the White Shadows or whatever, then go to the Galactic site and check out a few. ( I say Galactic to avoid the issue of race 'cause funk aint got a color, but it's got a smell!) - I just made that up by the way. You think that could be a catch phrase? Maybe my signature here?

Edited by scottb

Yeah, I'm a-goin' down to the feed store this mornin' and a-buyin' me a packet or two of them there kitty seeds.

Reckon I better get me some Kitty Chow while I'm at it. Them critters look like they can eat some groceries.

I'm just a-wondering how much you water 'em.

You say funk I think New Orleans, Memphis, Atlanta, Philly, New York, D.C., Detroit.  Not San Antonio,  Little Rock, Omaha, Seattle, CALGARY.

Straight from The Bastards...

lacarnival~_poseaques_102b.jpg

LA Carnival -- LA Carnival Would Like To Pose A Question . . . CD . . . $13.99  List Price: $14.98    (Item: 78878)

Stones Throw, 1970 Condition: New Copy     View Cart

Sweet jazzy funk -- from the cornbelt of Omaha! The LA Carnival are one of those rarer-than-rare funk groups who not only never got their due back in the day -- but also recorded a heck of a lot of great material that never even got issued! They have a totally great sound that bubbles in jazzy licks on trumpet, sax, and organ -- next to tighter, funkier vamping on the rhythms -- all of which makes for a killer approach to the groove that's surprisingly fresh, given the passage of three decades since the group's heyday. And leave it to the folks at Stones Throw -- who know how to dig beyond the crates, into the earth, and come up with a lost slice of funk history that has made the world a much better musical place. They've lovingly remastered these great recordings from the early 70s, and have packaged the whole thing with a well-done set of notes that really goes into detail about this unique group, their amazing sound, and their obscure Nebraska origins! An instant funk essential -- and one you'll be thanking yourself for buying for years to come. Titles include "Black Man's March", "Ron's Tune", "The Klan", "Color", "Flyin", "We Need Peace & Love", "Scratchin", "Bad Luck", and "Blind Man". (From the Soul/Funk CD (J-M) page.)

The AMG Review confirms their Omaha origins.

There may be a real Omaha connection here too, though The Bastards don't say for sure...

love_presto_prestonlo_101b.jpg

Edit: Love's AMG Bio says he was originally from Omaha, and in the late 40's and 50's, he toured the Corn Belt in territory bands lead by Nat Towles and Lloyd Hunter.

So there!! ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Preston Love also played in Basie's mid/late 40s band, and was a longtime associate of Johnny Otis.

I've got that album, actually. Bought it just for the cover back in the day. Most of it has a weird tremelo effect running through it, which gives it an underwater Earl Bostic kind of sound, like if Sea Hunt had used instrumental R&B for a soundtrack, but the last two cuts drop the effects and are prime jump blues.

I'm slowly but surely finding out that Johnny Otis' groups have provided safe have for more than a few above-average or better players over the years, which means that all those Otis and Otis related releases of the lst 25 or so years that I blew off becasue they were on homemade labels and because I thought that it was a bunch over past their prime cats are now looking a LOT more desireable.

When they can be found that is. I didn't adopt this "carpe diem" crap just because it sounds good, doncha' know...