Anyone NOT succumbed to the Bastards?

Big Al

Some of the used vinyl is overpriced, but when you come across sealed Bee Hives for $8.99 or so, what's the bitchabout THAT, huh? And that's not the only example of why Da' Bastids get summa my bizness. That and thier seemingly psychic abilitiy to have the exact funk compilation/reissue and/or nu-soul item that I didn't even know I wanted yet in stock right where I can see it at a price too good to say no to.

A little discretion, a little restraint, a little dilligence, and a lot of patience can net you much goodness at good prices.

Their French section is pretty good, too.

I'm glad they don't offer sound samples on their site — that could be disastrous. Now if there was just some way to "unclick" those reviews ...

We've never listened to this album, but we're going to write about six or seven formulaic sentences to make it appear as if we did! Let's start by trying to reference the instrument and style the musician under consideration plays! But, don't worry, we'll be certain to use vague enough terminology — using phrases such as "modally searching," "off-kilter solos," and "hits that spiritual groove" — that you won't really be able to tell what we're talking about! Then we'll say something like "Trust us!" so that you'll somehow have confidence in such empty description! Then, to show how measured we are in our evaluation of a recording, we'll toss off something like " ____ plays without any of the clutter that you sometimes find on his earlier records" — but we'll definitely make sure to never cite what those "earlier records" are! (We sell those earlier records, too. They have a "sincerity" and "vigor" that the later records, whatever they are, don't.) Then we'll close by randomly listing some, but not all, of the album's compositions.

Edited by Late

i've ordered from dg online several times. usually, it's sale-priced items, like the recent french universal titles. when i make my annual pilgrimage to arizona, i stop off in chicago for a few days. a visit to the brick-and-mortar is part of the trip, followed by delicious barbecue at smoke daddy's.

My one and only DG order was this New Year's Day to take advantage of the aforementioned Jazz in Paris sale. Probably won't visit again until there is a similar great sale (or maybe to go back for more cheap JIP titles, if any stock remains). But who knows.

Right now, I am digging Elek Bacsik...

As evidence that they are indeed Bastards, I offer into evidence the following item:

freema_geor_franticdi_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/jazzlp2.htm#374118

George Freeman -- Franticdiagnosis (reissue) . . . LP . . . $8.99

Bam-Boo, 1972 Condition: New Copy View Cart

A legendary bit of funk, from one of the most overlooked guitarists ever! George Freeman's got a sound and a style unlike any other player we can think of -- an approach to funky guitar that's often got a really hard touch on the strings, and which gets nice and noisy at the best funky moments. Freeman's probably best known for the few obscure records he cut with Groove Holmes, but this album's his out and out masterpiece -- a rare one-off session cut in the funky Philly scene and supervised by DJ Sonny Hopson -- and featuring a rare mix of players that includes Cesar Frazier on organ and Charles Earland on Arp! The mix of organ and Arp is really incredible -- especially on the side-long jammer "Franticdiagnosis", which runs for nearly 20 minutes, and is one of the most messed-up funky jazz jams of the 70s! Other players include Von Freeman on tenor sax and Dave Hubbard on alto flute -- and the album features the legendary jazz dance track "The Bump", plus the cuts "Free-Man" and "God Bless The Child".

I mean, c'mon, $8.99 for something like this? SEALED? They know I've been on a George Freeman kick, right? They've gone YEARS w/o having this item. And now, just when they know I'd be in the market for this, there it is.

BASTARDS!!!!!

I mean, c'mon, $8.99 for something like this? SEALED? They know I've been on a George Freeman kick, right? They've gone YEARS w/o having this item. And now, just when they know I'd be in the market for this, there it is.

BASTARDS!!!!!

----

wish i had a buck for every story like this...

right the hell on!

-e-

ps: i completely agree with the earlier post on their brazilian titles. my collection has grown *substantially* (exponentially?) in the last few years as a result.

I'm glad they don't offer sound samples on their site — that could be disastrous. Now if there was just some way to "unclick" those reviews ...

We've never listened to this album, but we're going to write about six or seven formulaic sentences to make it appear as if we did! Let's start by trying to reference the instrument and style the musician under consideration plays! But, don't worry, we'll be certain to use vague enough terminology — using phrases such as "modally searching," "off-kilter solos," and "hits that spiritual groove" — that you won't really be able to tell what we're talking about! Then we'll say something like "Trust us!" so that you'll somehow have confidence in such empty description! Then, to show how measured we are in our evaluation of a recording, we'll toss off something like " ____ plays without any of the clutter that you sometimes find on his earlier records" — but we'll definitely make sure to never cite what those "earlier records" are! (We sell those earlier records, too. They have a "sincerity" and "vigor" that the later records, whatever they are, don't.) Then we'll close by randomly listing some, but not all, of the album's compositions.

:lol:

Wasn't there a thread like this back on the BNBB that parodied such reviews? Seems like somebody dug it up and re-posted it here after the Big Exile...

:lol:

Wasn't there a thread like this back on the BNBB that parodied such reviews? Seems like somebody dug it up and re-posted it here after the Big Exile...

Ah yes, the old DG "Mad Libs" thread. Paging Dan Gould...

As evidence that they are indeed Bastards, I offer into evidence the following item:

freema_geor_franticdi_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/jazzlp2.htm#374118

George Freeman -- Franticdiagnosis (reissue) . . . LP . . . $8.99

Bam-Boo, 1972 Condition: New Copy View Cart

A legendary bit of funk, from one of the most overlooked guitarists ever! George Freeman's got a sound and a style unlike any other player we can think of -- an approach to funky guitar that's often got a really hard touch on the strings, and which gets nice and noisy at the best funky moments. Freeman's probably best known for the few obscure records he cut with Groove Holmes, but this album's his out and out masterpiece -- a rare one-off session cut in the funky Philly scene and supervised by DJ Sonny Hopson -- and featuring a rare mix of players that includes Cesar Frazier on organ and Charles Earland on Arp! The mix of organ and Arp is really incredible -- especially on the side-long jammer "Franticdiagnosis", which runs for nearly 20 minutes, and is one of the most messed-up funky jazz jams of the 70s! Other players include Von Freeman on tenor sax and Dave Hubbard on alto flute -- and the album features the legendary jazz dance track "The Bump", plus the cuts "Free-Man" and "God Bless The Child".

BASTARDS!!!!!

Yes. The Bastards rule. One stop shopping for shit you didn't even know existed. Exhibit One, the new George Freeman LP for 8.99. I think there were 3 know to exist beforehand. B-)

I LOVE those Bastards!

The beauty or misfortune (depending on how you look at it) of living in NYC is that there is a "bastard" around every corner with good pickins'.

Needless to say I have nothing left to give to the folks at Dusty Groove :(

A BoSox fan in NYC??? No wonder you're victimized. :rolleyes: