Your Wish List......

Free For All

First, pardon me if this has been covered already (I hope I don't get the "new thread hook" which is when the next post is a link to an existing thread- so humiliating!).

I'm constantly noticing posters saying "I'm going to add that to my list". I'm just curious as to what people here have for wish lists.

Do you keep wish lists at your purchasing sites? I have a four-pager going over at CDUniverse, some of which date back 2 or 3 years.

For some time now I've been keeping a list with me for trips to the brick-and-mortars. Too many times I've bought something only to discover I already own it. Sometimes I keep the spare anyway if it's a really good one (as if my other copy might suddenly disintegrate) or I give it to a student. Attribute that to a too-large collection and/or brain damage. "Let's see, do I already have Kind of Blue?" :blink:

I hate that feeling or getting to the store and knowing that there was some specific title I wanted, but for the life of me I can't remember. Until I'm back at home, of course.

What's your story?

I try not to keep a wish list, because I'm trying to control my CD habit (hey it's a GOAL B-) ). I do, however, occasionally jot things down (like when I hear something great on the radio). I also have a short list of OJC's I'm still planning to go after at some point in the not too distant future.

My method? Pencil and paper, baby. :tup:D

I try not to keep a wish list, because I'm trying to control my CD habit (hey it's a GOAL  B-) ). 

Well, good luck with all that, then. :)

I've found the wish lists actually help me regulate my buying by reducing the "browsing binges". I'm occasionally able to resist impulsive purchases by thinking "I'd rather wait and get something on my list".

Works about 80% of the time. :ph34r:

I often print out listings from Alan's Jazzamatazz pages to keep things that catch my eye in mind, and I keep a file folder in my briefcase with all the loose pieces of paper, along with important things like home addresses of people I trade with.

I haven't been doing a lot of buying lately at all, but the pages were very helpful when my wife asked for things I'd like for my birthday/our Aniversary in September, I was able to make a lengthy list of things she could look for/save for Christmas shopping. In the end, I think I got all but two of the discs I asked for.

I never bring the whole folder with me to a brick and mortar, but I will jot down certain titles I'd like to find and bring that with me.

Oh, and another thing I discovered:

It helps to go through the old pages to clear out things that were acquired. I seem to do that right after the New Year when I realize how many things are listed that I don't have to look for.

Another thing I keep in that music folder is printouts of ebay items that I missed out on, usually old records that I may want to find through other sources.

I have about four or five pages of "wishes" listed at half.com. It doesn't include particularly obscure stuff, because they're usually not in the half.com database. But I've found that half.com is a good way to track most things (OJC's, for instance, and most new releases), because by its very nature - there are always lots of OOP titles on my wish list, which half.com has in their DB.

Haven't been buying nearly as much in recent years, so I don't really go pounding the pavement looking for things. (And frankly, most of the stuff I'm really interested in can't be found in this town anyway.)

I keep it as a memo in my PDA. Makes it easy to take with me when I go to an actual store as well as to update. When I sync with my home computer the list is also there.

Wow. I just try to put it out of my mind and listen to the ones I already have. My wish list is I wish I had time to listen to the stuff I've got! ;)

• 1 year later...

If you want to go crazy with creating a wish list, just look through a copy of any edition of Tom Lord's Jazz Discography on CD-Rom. You'll discovering recording sessions, labels and releases that you've never heard of.

One obscure 2 LP set issued under Fats Waller's name was on a label called Ristic. I recently learned that this was a John R. T. Davies production and only 99 copies were made. Fortunately, my informant is sending me a CDR dub of it in exchange for some broadcast recordings of salutes to Fats.

BTW, I still have at least two editions of the Lord Discography CD-Rom for sale or trade. PM me if interested, a part cash, part CD trade is also possible.

What I need to do is have a wish list for Collectors' Choice. I don't recall if there is a feature for that at the website, but there are always a few items in their catalogue that interest me.

I have a very short list at Amazon, and a very long list in my shopping cart at BMG (which really I don't think I'll ever get) and about a dozen in my queue at Your Music.

The ones in my Your Music queue are the ones I want the most anyway, so maybe one day I'll move a bunch into my cart and pick them up all at once.

I buy almost completely on impulse. Occasionally, I'll see an upcoming release on Alan's website and note same on my calendar, but that's about the extent of it. Dusty Groove is probably the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I go on their website and wind up getting stuff I had no intention of buying. The problem with impulsiveness is that it knows no bounds. At least a list is finite.

Up over and out.

The Bastards™ have a wonderful/evil tracking system for "want lists" -- which is VERY useful/dangerous for tracking the kind of obscure stuff they carry (most of which is so obscure that it can't be tracked in other places, like half.com want-lists).

You can track in-stock and out-of-stock items, and it even lets you prioritize stuff.

Highly recommended and/or consider yourself warned. :crazy:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have a voice recorder function on my mp3 player. I just record my list on the player. It comes in especially handy when I'm driving and I hear something on the radio that catches my attention.

For a second I thought you wrote "...when I'm driving and don't feel like listening to the radio." :)

I have a 400+ item list on amazon. It used to grow a lot faster but is more or less stable these days. The bad news is that I have a 50 CD backlog at home.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I don't have a wish list. Happily my obsessive cd buying days are over.

I used to spend almost all my free time on my bicycle hunting for stuff around the used shops in central Tokyo.

That said I'm itching to get the Bear Family 40's & 50's R&B sets !

:rolleyes:

Guess I'm old fashioned. I just use a few 3x5 cards & update them periodically - crossing off things I've picked up or things I've decided I don't want, and making additions. I find the cards to be a good thing when I'm out with my wife and she's shopping and I'm bored. When I'm not reading, I can pass the time looking at my lists and fantasize about what the music will sound like when I hear it.