Most Influential Jazz Writers Today

well, not exactly, Dan , as you managed to throw in a jab at me related to a post in an entirely different thread; Yanow knows a little bit but not enough, is shallow in his historical analysis, and takes such a generalist approach to jazz history as to make his books virtually worthless. Just my opinion.

How is pointing out that you and he agree about LD's late-60s Blue Note albums are bad a "jab"? I was saying, "look, he agrees with you about LD, so what's so bad about his influence?" :rolleyes:

well, not exactly, Dan , as you managed to throw in a jab at me related to a post in an entirely different thread; Yanow knows a little bit but not enough, is shallow in his historical analysis, and takes such a generalist approach to jazz history as to make his books virtually worthless. Just my opinion.

You're wrong, Allen--that's not just your opinion. B-)

Uh, moving on. "Most influential jazz writers today"? Obviously the words "influential" and "stimulating" are not synonymous. Among those I find stimulating, Ted Gioia (e.g., "Jazz: The Imperfect Art") and Francis Davis (his most recent, "Like Young") are two who come immediately to mind.

Uh, moving on. "Most influential jazz writers today"? Obviously the words "influential" and "stimulating" are not synonymous. Among those I find stimulating, Ted Gioia (e.g., "Jazz: The Imperfect Art") and Francis Davis (his most recent, "Like Young") are two who come immediately to mind.

And I think Francis Davis if now the jazz columnist for the Vilage Voice. I think that's a venue that also gives you influence.

I didn't say she knew anything about jazz, only that if you got on her show, you will sell a lot of CDs  B-) .  Just like her "book club."  I believe her taste runs to smooth jazz  :o

Yes. I believe she has commented on how she loved Chris Botti's new album.

Damm, she should get these: