Doctor Lonnie Smith - TOO DAMN HOT

JSngry

Yeah...Excellent album...Took me some time to get over the grotesque folklore apparel (turban for what..?Doctor in what..?) This musician should be good enough to spare us all this folklore... :crazy::rcry

Really an excellent album :bought it and go immediately for his Boogaloo to Beck CD, unless anyone can recommend a better choice ?

I did not like particularly the Mozambique album... :cool:rather unpleasant cover art, to my taste(too damned hot)... :ph34r:

Edited by michel devos

Yeah...Excellent album...Took me some time to get over the grotesque folklore apparel (turban for what..?Doctor in what..?) This musician should be good enough to spare us all this folklore... :crazy:  :rcry

Really an excellent album :bought it and go immediately for his Boogaloo to Beck CD, unless anyone can recommend a better choice ?

I did not like particularly the Mozambique album... :cool:rather unpleasant cover art, to my taste(too damned hot)... :ph34r:

I think "Too Damn Hot" is his best work that's available. The "Turban" and "Dr." are a part of jazz that's been lost to the Berkely School of Music world of jazz we live in today....it's called excitement, originality and fun.

I think "Too Damn Hot" is his best work that's available.  The "Turban" and "Dr." are a part of jazz that's been lost to the Berkely School of Music world of jazz we live in today....it's called excitement, originality and fun.

I don't know if this is his best since I haven't heard it, but it would be hard to top his playing with Crash on their Cellar Live CD "The Doctor Is In". This is a smokin' date.

Kevin

Yeah...Excellent album...Took me some time to get over the grotesque folklore apparel (turban for what..?Doctor in what..?) This musician should be good enough to spare us all this folklore... :crazy:  :rcry

I think "Too Damn Hot" is his best work that's available. The "Turban" and "Dr." are a part of jazz that's been lost to the Berkely School of Music world of jazz we live in today....it's called excitement, originality and fun.

And that damn 'Duke' Ellington bloke...

I think "Too Damn Hot" is his best work that's available.  The "Turban" and "Dr." are a part of jazz that's been lost to the Berkely School of Music world of jazz we live in today....it's called excitement, originality and fun.

I don't know if this is his best since I haven't heard it, but it would be hard to top his playing with Crash on their Cellar Live CD "The Doctor Is In". This is a smokin' date.

Kevin

I like the Crash thing too, but it's more on the live, all-out funk tip. Too Damn Hot is real jazz from the master. :D