Jazz "Guilty Pleasures" ...

garthsj

I would like to know what "jazz kitsch" you secretly have enjoyed over the years. Stuff like those Jackie Gleason albums with Bobby Hackett, or George Shearing's "White Satin" ... or Martin Denny's "Exotic Sounds" .. complete with bird calls ... "Tiki Music" ... Go for it gang! Confession is good for the soul!

In my case I had/have a great fondness for a series of albums that the pianist Paul Smith did for Capitol called "Liquid Sounds" ... I have never been able to find those in CD format ... anyone else a fan of this stuff?

I'm nuts for the exotica stuff. Martin Denny, Les Baxter, etc...

I love the Jackie Gleason albums. Years ago, I used to frequent thrift stores, and because of that I have a great collection of easy listening records from the fifties.

One of my favorite albums is Eden's Island by Eden Ahbez (the composer of Nature Boy).

I guess you could say I was bit by the lounge bug in the 90's. There were a couple books I really enjoyed about this stuff back then. They were ReSearch's Incredibly Strange Music Volumes 1 and 2.

• 4 months later...

I just got Gary McFarland's Does the Sun Really Shine on the Moon? and I keep on listening to it, despite the fact that my conscious mind tells me it's only a few steps removed from Muzak.

Also, I retain a guilty affection for Michael Franks's "Popsicle Toes," though I have never owned a copy of it.