Dolphy sightings on other people's sessions

DrJ

Been on an Eric Dolphy kick lately, and began thinking about the broad variety of dates he played on with others. I'm not so much thinking of the obvious ones, like his work with Mingus, Coltrane, Hill, but the more obscure ones. Three in particular I've been giving a listen to this week:

1. CHICO HAMILTON QUINTET WITH STRINGS ATTACHED (Warner Bros, 1959): This would probably be the hardest to find currently, although I believe Fresh Sound had a reissue CD out at one point. Of the recordings mentioned here, this is actually my favorite overall. It was Dolphy's first recorded work with the Quintet, pre-dating the GONGS EAST recordings by about 2 months and the ORIGINAL ELLINGTON SUITE w/Dolphy on board that saw the light of day recently by about 3 months. It's fascinating to hear Eric this early - the wide intervallic leaps are there, the craggy approach to phrasing, the rich tone, but it's like all the edges have been smoothed just a bit (or more accurately, it's like he's begun sculpting his sound but hasn't quite got all the grooves and niches chiseled as deeply yet). He plays flute, alto sax, and bass clarinet on various tracks and this "incomplete scuplting" applies especially to his work on bass clarinet and flute - you really only get a hint of the wonderful, idiosyncratic approach and fruity tone he'd later cultivate. The alto sax approach is most like his later work, although you definitely hear a lot more of his classic bebop/Parker roots coming through. His playing is superb, nonetheless, on all three instruments and I would say this is really a wonderful session all around, highly complimentary to the roughly contemporary Pacific Jazz material now included in the Mosaic box and ORIGINAL ELLINGTON SUITE CD that came to light after the box had been released. For those with an aversion to jazz with strings, I can only say that cellist Fred Katz has a very unique approach to arranging for strings and the music steers well clear of "soft jazz" tendencies, although it does have that Chico "chamber" feeling. Dennis Budimir on guitar is another big plus. I have a mono LP of this date and I see it pop up frequently in the used stores - it sounds really good, Warner did a quality job in that era. Though I haven't heard the Fresh Sound CD, I am not as a whole impressed with their work.

2. ESSENCE: JOHN LEWIS PLAYS THE COMPOSITIONS & ARRANGEMENTS OF GARY McFARLAND (Atlantic, 1962). Seems Lewis gets little respect on the boards based on my observations, but I'm a big fan of much that he did and his Atlantic run at this time was particularly productive. Dolphy works in the ensembles here, not soloing, but lending his distinctive alto sound to some very nice arrangements. Not Lewis' best album, but full of interesting work, and his piano playing is as always fascinatingly "open" (there are times here where he is so sparing with note choices that he makes someone as fastidious as, say, Duke Ellington, sound like Art Tatum!). It strikes me as odd, with years of retrospection, that someone as influential and ground-breaking as Dolphy would be doing section work like this, but on further reflection in 1962 he was probably still relatively little-known outside of more informed jazz circles and considered rather esoteric by many in America. I think this came out in the Collectables series recently paired with another Lewis date, but as with Fresh Sound, I am not a fan of the Collectables bunch (in my view, poor sound and lousy packaging). The vinyl pops up in used bins and sounds quite good.

3. MACK THE KNIFE & OTHER BERLIN THEATRE SONGS OF KURT WEILL - Sextet of Orchestra USA (RCA 1966). Of the trio of dates listed here, this is the one anyone, even a casual listener, would hear and say "Dolphy!" Actually he's only on the first three tracks, but leaves a strong mark on both alto sax and bass clarinet. By 1966 the signature sound was of course fully in place. I have mixed feelings about the date as a whole. It's wonderful to get a glimpse of Michael Zwerin, who directs the sextet and plays the wonderfully rich sounding bass trumpet, and the supporting cast (including John Lewis, Richard Davis, Thad Jones, Jerome Richardson, Connie Kay, and Jimmy Raney) is stellar. Frankly, though, while Dolphy plays amazingly well when considered in isolation, he really sounds at times like he's playing on an entirely different session. Not that I'm against throwing a slightly "out" wild card into a more mainstream date, but I just don't think it comes off here. It just doesn't quite mesh, and truly the 4 tracks without Dolphy sound much more cohesive and fully realized. I hope none of those slight criticisms puts people off taking a very careful listen to this fascinating date, its worth it to get a greater appreciation of some relatively obscure (to jazz fans) Weill songs if nothing else, and to hear Zwerin. Koch reissued this date on CD in 2001 and I think did a nice job with the remastering.

Anyone else appreciate these Dolphy sightings? Any other obscure ones you favor?

I'm somewhat ashamed to say I still have not managed to catch up with EZZ-THETIC which by all accounts is a real classic...can't wait to hear it (have kind of been hoping to wait for an updated remastering in Fantasy's 20 bit series). Nor have I heard the Pony Poindexter yet but have it on the list as well (as I do just about everything in Koch's outstanding jazz reissue series).

What are your impressions of these, Ghost of Miles?

Well, I probably shouldn't be posting (at least yet) because I haven't heard any of the sessions you guys mention (except for Ezz-Thetic) — but I wanted to put a plug in for Dolphy's work with Oliver Nelson. It's certainly not as obscure as the stuff mentioned above, but it does make for good listening. I love that Nelson loved Dolphy's playing. Here's a guy (Nelson) that damn near plays classical saxophone at times (e.g. his opening statement on "Mama Lou" from Straight Ahead ... is that Rousseau?), but is openly attracted to the very un-classical playing of Dolphy ... and also has to (or tries to) restrain himself from playing Dolphy-like! A wonderful odd couple — that works.

Tony, I think one of the reasons that Dolphy would pop up on a Lewis session such as the one you mention, is that, from all accounts I've heard and read, Dolphy was an excellent sight-reader. Session chops and solo chops!

Booker Little, OUT FRONT and Max Roach's PERCUSSION BITTER SWEET: these may both be obvious instances of Dolphy-as-sideman, but they are crucial recordings in terms of Dolphy working "up to" OUT TO LUNCH.

There's also the Ken McIntyre LOOKING AHEAD session. Never really clicked with me, for whatever reason, much as I like both reed-men. Time to spin that one again.

And I know the Latin Jazz Quintet stuff with Dolphy is generally considered lightweight, but, in terms of getting a chance to hear an unusual player in an even more unusual setting... worth hearing, IMHO.

I love many of the mentioned sessions, of course all the stuff with Coltrane, Ornette's Free Jazz, Ezz-thetic might be my favorite Russell session, The Quest is one of the highlights of the Dolphy Prestige box in my opinion, Where is a very nice session, too, and I love the one with Ken McIntyre, I had not heard McIntyre when I got the Dolphy box, and love all that I've heard him play yet..., the sessions with Roach and Booker Little might be among the best ones Dolphy ever took part in, and the Hamilton Ellington Suite was a real find!

And then here comes a hearty recommendation for the "Mack the Knife" Weill disc. I love it! Dolphy is incredible, a great fit for the band, which actually is in quite a stiff groove, which Dolphy tears up with his soaring playing (check his bass clarinet solo on the first track of the CD!). Then, as far as John Lewis is concerned, I have not dug deeply into his music, knowing only a few scattered discs of his and some early sideman appearances with Bird, but he plays great on the Mack the Knife session with Dolphy!

ubu

0007567813492_500X500.jpg

An absolute favorite.

e417343jij9.jpg

Just as good, if not BETTER(!) than Straight Ahead.

Another strong recommendation for Ornette Coleman FREE JAZZ, Abbey Lincoln STRAIGHT AHEAD, Booker Little OUT FRONT, Chico Hamilton COMPLETE DUKE ELLINGTON SUITE. Man, what a spectrum of styles Eric Dolphy was invited to play in. I may be entering another Eric Dolphy stage, thanks to this thread! My wife is going to love the next few weeks... :rolleyes:

A Dolphy appearance on a rare album that has never been reissued (as far as I know):

Teddy Charles' Russia Goes Jazz where Dolphy appears on several tracks along people

like Zoot Sims, Pepper Adams, Jimmy Raney. Fun (and excellent) United Artists LP

where Teddy Charles and his partners play jazz versions of classics by Russian composers.

Eric Dolphy is also featured on the opening two tracks of a now out-ot-print album

'Surrounded' by Daniel Humair on the Flat&Sharp label. Dolphy plays his compositions

'Les' and 'Serene' in a concert recorded in Paris on May 18, 1964, just one month

before he died.

He was accompanied by Kenny Drew, Guy Pedersen and Humair. Dolphy was in top form

that day.

Other artists featured in the album which is made of unreleased live material are

Gerry Mulligan, Phil Woods, Martial Solal, Johnny Griffin, Tete Montoliu among others.

Has anyone ever confirmed whether its Dolphy taking the solos on those late 40's Roy Porter Big Band sides (see Savoy's BLACK CALIFORNIA compilation)?

And I thought I read somewhere recently that Dolphy auditioned for the Clifford Brown / Max Roach Quintet and barely missed making the gig instead of Harold Land (who was filling in for Teddy Edwards, in so many words...)

Edited by Joe

Has anyone ever confirmed whether its Dolphy taking the solos on those late 40's Roy Porter Big Band sides (see Savoy's BLACK CALIFORNIA compilation)?

And I thought I read somewhere recently that Dolphy auditioned for the Clifford Brown / Max Roach Quintet and barely missed making the gig instead of Harold Land (who was filling in for Teddy Edwards, in so many words...)

I think that the Roy Porter sides are still in dispute. Some solos on those sides sure do sound like Dolphy.

That is an interesting story about the Brown/Roach audition. I have never heard it before. If it is true, it would suggest that Dolphy was a more known and respected musician in LA in 1954 than many of us thought.

I'm not sure about the Brown/Roach quintet. In one account (the recent-ish biography of Brown published by Oxford University Press, New York, neither of whose name nor author I can think of!), I read that Dolphy was friendly with Roach and would drop by the latter's house to play. I don't remember seeing any insinuation that Dolphy auditioned for the group at all...

Here's a definitely unexpected sighting of Dolphy and his music: don't know if anyone else has heard this, but they are actually using "Hat and Beard" from OUT TO LUNCH as background music in an American Plastics Council (?!?!?!?) commercial that's currently airing. I almost fell out of my chair last night when I heard it!

Found the reference to Dolphy & Brown / Roach:

One L. A. intimate of [Clifford] Brown's was the young saxophonist Eric Dolphy, who had the same single-minded approach to music.  Dolphy had a practice room in the back of his parents' house (on West 36th St. in South Central), where many jam sessions took place.  Brown became part of those sessions.

[Don] Cherry recalled a particularly important jam he had witnessed there.  Walter benton and Harold Land, two big-toned tenor saxophonists, spent a day jamming with Brown, Dolphy, drummer Larance Marable, and probably bassist Harper Crosby.  "Max left it up to Brownie to pick which saxophonist it would be," said Cherry.  "It was incredible and it was very difficult for Brownie to pick.  It wasn't like it was a competition, it was just like they were all jamming.  After the session he decided it would be Harold Land playin' in the band."

Kirk Silsbee, 10 / 1999 -- liner notes to the Verve Master Edition reissue of CLIFFORD BROWN AND MAX ROACH

f59091ttqzw.jpg

Another rare Dolphy appearance is on the WestWind album under

Dolphy's name 'Unrealized Tapes' which was recorded in Paris in June 1964.

The date also features Donald Byrd, Nathan Davis and French pianist Jack

Dieval who probably organized the date. They play four Dophy compositions

'Springtime', '245', 'GW' and 'Serene'.