Harold Land recommendations please

Templejazz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned CIRRUS and I'd forgotten about that one, a real gem. Let me tell you that is one that is LONG overdue for being dredged from the BN vaults for a Conn (probably) or even a surprise RVG (doubt that would ever happen though). In addition to Hutcherson, Woody Shaw on board, in prime form, need I say more? OK, I will - it's very strong, somewhat in the ilk of the LIVE AT MONTREUX Hutch/Shaw CD from 1994 on BN.

I thoroughly agree with you re: 'Cirrus'. Yet another good reason to get a turntable, as vinyl copies of this one are not too rare.

For some really laid-back Harold Land, his 'A Lazy Afternoon' CD is recommended (one of his last dates, put out on the Postcards label). This is a great one to spin on lazy Sunday afternoons to unwind, with nice orchestral arrangements by Ray Ellis.

Another Land/Hutcherson session to look out for is 'A New Shade of Blue' on Mainstream, released on LP around 1971/72 I think.

I listened to TOTAL ECLIPSE a couple of times today for the first time in a long while and kept replaying "Total Eclipse" and "Same Shame." Land's sound on those two tracks is phenomenal. There seems to be a lot of reverb on this session. Is it just the digital remix? I was also noticing Chick's touch. Often I could have sworn he was playing an electric piano. Very cool. This is a good album. "Matrix" gets a lot of talk as well.

Sounds like I need to find a copy of CIRRUS! (anyone willing to help?) I am listening to the Montreux CD right now! Anything close to this, and with Land, has to be up my alley.

I haven't been listening to Hutch much lately and kind of went on a binge recently. I have a real renewed appreciation for his playing, and never even heard before that he was occassionally playing with four mallets.

I don't have any other Land recommendations, other than the ones everyon has already given. The Fox is a killer, but is in desperate need of a remaster.

The biggest revelation was on the one occasion I saw him live, with his young band of the time (which had Charles McPherson Jr on drums). He was still playing very much in the style demonstrated on 'Total Eclipse', complex modal compositions of his own with that instantly recognisable, somewhat sour-ish sound on tenor.

I think there is quite a lot of reverb on the 'Total Eclipse' date, in fact the whole sound of that session, very spacey, is very much of its late-60s time. I like the sound of this session very much indeed (even my first DMM LP of this one sounded pretty good.. ;) ).

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 year later...

It's funny that this thread should pop up again, as I've been on a Harold Land kick recently. The Hear Ye! co-leader date with Red Mitchell in particular has been logging serious time in my player. There's something so engaging about this album; sort of hard bop with a smile, appropriate to the L.A. climate, I suppose. And Carmell Jones is on this record, too, along with Frank Strazzeri and Leon Petties.

As an Elmo Hope fan, The Fox is a longtime favorite, of course.

I have a very nice Harold Land CD that I don't believe has been mentioned on this thread.

CHARLIE SHOEMAKE-HAROLD LAND - STAND-UP GUYS - Chase Music Groupl CMD 8016

Along with Charlie Shoemake on vibes and Harold Land on tenor is some fine piano playing by a rather unknown person named Randy Cannon. Andy Simpkins and Bob Maize split the bass chores, and the drummer is Carl Burnett.

If you can find a copy it is certainly recommended.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have listening to Total Eclipse non-stop this week and Harold Land's playing is like wildfire on it! What a great date all around. I did a brief write-up about it the other day:

https://bopandbeyond.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/blue-note-75-for-75-bobby-hutchersons-total-eclipse-1968/

Land is quite underrated. His work with Clifford Brown is far more enjoyable to me than Rollins (who seems to still be getting his feet wet). Land is nothing if not authoritative throughout the course of his career, particularly hitting his stride with Hutch. Hot stuff!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have listening to Total Eclipse non-stop this week and Harold Land's playing is like wildfire on it! What a great date all around. I did a brief write-up about it the other day:

https://bopandbeyond.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/blue-note-75-for-75-bobby-hutchersons-total-eclipse-1968/

Land is quite underrated. His work with Clifford Brown is far more enjoyable to me than Rollins (who seems to still be getting his feet wet). Land is nothing if not authoritative throughout the course of his career, particularly hitting his stride with Hutch. Hot stuff!

Yes sir. Agree 100%.

As I read through this thread again after close to 9 years, I realized that a number of other recordings with nice to very good playing from Harold Land were not mentioned. I should indicate that my definite preference is for the pre-Coltrane influenced Harold Land. His later more modal Trane influenced playing has it's moments, but has lost some of Land's more unique individualistic qualities (in my opinion).

Herb Geller - Fire In the West - Fresh Sound

Victor Feldman - On Vibes VSOP

Elmo Hope Trio and Quintet - Blue Note

Frank Rosolino - Free For All - OJC

Thelonious Monk Quartet Plus Two - At Blackhawk - Riverside

Wes Montgomery - Montgomery Land - Pacific Jazz

Dolo Coker - Dolo - Xanadu.

Edited by Peter Friedman

May have missed it, but didn't see mentioned one of my "Top Three" Land dates:

Date: July 25, 1960
Label: Blue Note

Harold Land (ldr), Harold Land (ts), Martin Banks (t), Amos Trice (p), Clarence Jones (b), Leon Pettis (d)

a. You're My Thrill - 7:56 (Sidney Clare, Jay Gorney) b. Reflections - 6:38 (Harold Land) c. Land Of Peace - 6:13 (Harold Land) d. Blue Nellie - 4:46 (Martin Banks) e. Take Aim - 3:39 (Amos Trice) f. As You Like It - 7:09 (Harold Land) All titles on: Blue Note LP 12": LT 1057 — Take Aim
Mighty Quinn CD: 09463 11991 2 7 — Take Aim (2005)

Thelonious Monk Quartet Plus Two - At Blackhawk - Riverside

I love Land on this date. Apparently he and Joe Gordon got the last minute call to perform and you'd never know it from Land at least. He plays Monk's tunes with poise and even eggs on Rouse a little bit -- both men are excellent. Gordon seems a little more flustered but still acquits himself nicely.

1307443418_a504cfe59d94b3e5ad0827c268a73

Helluva record! Along with Medina & Spiral, the best of the Land/Hutcherson collaborations, imho.

But they're ALL great. ;)

Hey -- I reviewed that album for Down Beat back in '68 or '69, gave it ***1/2. IIRC drummer Donald Bailey plays harmonica on at least one track.

Helluva record! Along with Medina & Spiral, the best of the Land/Hutcherson collaborations, imho.

Hey -- I reviewed that album for Down Beat back in '68 or '69, gave it ***1/2. IIRC drummer Donald Bailey plays harmonica on at least one track.

Phew. Tough grader! I'd give it at least 4 stars. I guess I'm biased! ;)

Edited by HutchFan

Phew. Tough grader! I'd give it at least 4 stars. I guess I'm biased! ;)

Lot of competition back in '68..........