What's next on your YourMusic.com queue?

GA Russell

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received Roy Hargrove's "Nothing Serious" in the mail today.

Tom. I've got Nothing Serious in my queue. What do you think of it?

Sorry GA for taking so long to respond. I really enjoy "Nothing Serious". There's some pretty strong playing here from Roy. Slide Hampton plays on 3 of the 8 tracks. Roy has a pretty good band backing him. I know nothing of Ronnie Matthews on piano, but he's quite good. I think you'll enjoy this? Good stuff. :tup

• 3 weeks later...

My pick this month is Gerry Mulligan - Jeru.

In the 70s Columbia re-released a few of its best jazz albums under the banner "Jazz Odyssey" series. This was one of them.

Tommy Flanagan is on it, and I've never heard an album with him that I didn't like. So I thought I would give it a try.

I discovered this two weeks ago while looking for something to give a friend. I think I'm going to have to revisit the website to reacquaint myself with their selection.

Edited by GA Russell

I am thinking about joining back up with yourmusic again. I quit when the price went to 6.99, but I haven't bought a single disc from my regular BMG membership since. It was nice-n-easy not to have to wait for a deal--I could order a single disc and be done with it.

Yes it was convenient, but I am definitely through with yourmusic.com.

I'm glad some folks are still getting the $5.99 price, and I don't wish them any ill will at all- better some of us than none of us getting that price.

But it really annoys me that they started charging some of us $6.99 on January 1st while others got 4 or 5 more months of the old price. They offered no explanation, and it does not seem related to how many discs various people ordered, AFAIK.

Extremely unfair and unprofessional. F*ck yourmusic.com.

Is anyone still getting 5.99? I got bumped up to 6.99 about a month or 6 weeks ago.

Based purely on economics, it's still a good deal to be a member, though the shipping lag, selection, website, etc leave alot to be desired.

• 5 weeks later...

My pick from last month, Gerry Mulligan's Jeru, is my best queue selection ever. Highly recommended.

My pick this month is Mark Murphy - Once to Every Heart.

I have more Mark Murphy albums than anyone except Miles and Monk. With so many, I figured that I would never get another of his, but I have read a couple of times on the internet that this is his best album in decades.

I had this set in the queue for October, but I decided to bump it up to this month because Your Music has had it for quite a while, and I'm thinking that they might not have it much longer.

• 1 month later...

It had to happen to me some time. I received this email yesterday:

Unfortunately, the first item listed in your Music Queue is currently on backorder. We'll do everything we can to fill your order next month, but in the meantime we will ship the next item in your Music Queue.

My pick for this month was The Charles Tolliver Big Band - With Love. It generated a lot of excitement here when it came out, and last month it won the JJA Award for best Big Band album. Maybe next month!

So I expect to receive #2 on my list, which was Stefon Harris - African Tarantella. I've been listening to a huge amount of vibraharp since the first of the year. What I heard of this album on the radio I liked, so I thought I would give it a go.

I've gotten both those from yourmusic, and for what it's worth, I think African Tarantella is a better cd. . .

Lon, yours isn't the first opinion of the Tolliver I've seen that didn't give it five stars. But I'm going to keep it at the top of my queue anyway because it got the JJA award.

My African Tarantella shipped yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...

I departed from the jazz routine this month and picked Willie Nelson - The Great American Songbook.

This is one of a series of Columbia compilations. Others include Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Etta James, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Fred Astaire and Aretha Franklin.

As I am a lover of melodies, this one is a good selection. This is only my fourth country album; the others being Reba McIntyre, Lyle Lovett and Prairie Oyster (a Canadian band). It's good for a change of pace.

• 4 weeks later...

My pick this month is again Charles Tolliver Big Band - With Love.

As I stated July 13, this was my pick two months ago but they were out of stock. Today I received notice that it has been shipped.

I've been holding off breaking open a Stan Kenton because this Tolliver has been described here as being loud like Kenton. I'm looking forward to finding out!

• 1 month later...

My pick this month is The Tierney Sutton Band - On the Other Side. It was highly recommended by Doug Ramsey on his Rifftides blog. I gave my sister a Tierney Sutton record for Christmas a couple of years ago and she really liked it, so I'm looking forward to listening to one myself.

It was a few months down in my queue, when I received the notice to buy it now or forever hold your peace, so I bumped it up to the top of my queue.

The new Suzanne Vega on Blue Note. I really like her, so don't mind her being on Blue Note at all. Dodo Greene she ain't, plus there's not the internal pressure to be a new millenium Blue Note completist the way there is to be a 1947-1967 Blue Note completist.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My pick this month was Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian.

Believe it or not, it's my first Frisell album. I've spent the month listening to Christmas music, so I haven't opened it up yet. I'm going to play Xmas music straight through New Year's Day, and then open up a number of things that have been accumulating.