Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an idiot.

Please explain how Clem's post relates to the Cellar Door discussion.

No law says it has to, of course, but I don't even see a tangential relationship.

Bertrand.

Phew, that's a relief... I thought it was just me... :unsure:

I'm completely lost

It's a Texas thang... we wouldn't understand. :winky:

I've been to Austin, but I ain't never been to Texas. My loss... lotsa cool folks from that state, as I once posted.

Tex, you wanna help some of these fellas out?

Gladly.

• Free For All posted a rather clever parody of Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven in which the Raven was replaced by Vince Wilburn

• I responded to the Raven/Miles reference with "Bye bye, Blackbird", another Raven/Miles reference

• Greg K responded by wondering if I was cryptically saying that the set had been cancelled

• I responded negatory, good buddy, and in the course of clarifing that the reference of my response to Free For All's post was indeed nothing more that a Raven/Miles reference, I referred to Free For All as FFA.

• Clem then took the "FFA" allusion as an opening to quote a Terry Allen song called "FFA", which in this case stands for Future Farmers of America, a venerable agriculture-training program that has been active in America's high schools since its founding in 1928. ( http://www.ffa.org/about_ffa/html/ffa_history.htm ) Clem seemed unsure of whether or not I would get the reference.

• I responded by assuring him that I did indeed get the reference, and I added that although Mr. Allen's song was spot-on for certain FFA types (usually suburban), there was another, less smarmy side to FFA, a side that I saw first hand while growing up in semi-rural East Texas.

• Clem agreed with me that an honest life in agriculture is an honest life indeed, and then referenced Mr. Allen's referencing Texas beers. He also asked if I had toured the Lone Star Brewery in San Antonio, a tour that ends with free samples being handed out in a room that is veritably saturated with mounted big(and not so big)-game "trophy heads.

• catesta, ever the beer snob ;) , overlooked the references to some of the worst beers ever made in the history of the world, and made a joke about farming subsidies.

• I recounted that I had indeed toured the LS Brewery, which, btw, I believe is now defunct. Not sure about that one though.

• People apparently got confused.

• Clem made the tag in the corner and left the ring, but not before giving one of those local food tours for which he is so justly famous.

So that's it in a nutshell. Typical, one might even say definitive, O-Board Thread Sidetrack. A proud tradition 'round these parts, and it happens all the time. The Cellar Door delay led to Poe, which led to Future Farmers of America, which led to Texas beers & brewery tours, which led to a Diner's Guide For The Truly Hip (as well as a call to the bullpen, if I may be allowed to cross-metaphorize) and here we are.

Although, to roughly quote Duke Ellington, at this point is becomes highly difficult to tell exactly whom is enjoying the shadow of whoooooooooooooom....

Edited by JSngry

I've been to Austin, but I ain't never been to Texas.

Very perceptive. :rolleyes:

Well, yes and no. Autin certainly is "Texan". Nobody would/should claim otherwise. But the state is so damn big, and so dam geographically and culturally diverse that its only one type of "Texan". I.E. - I've played a few joints in (north) East Texas where the directons included the line "you come to the end of the dirt road and then you go..."

Don't think they have that in Austin. :g

I've been to Austin, but I ain't never been to Texas.

Very perceptive. :rolleyes:

Well, yes and no. Autin certainly is "Texan". Nobody would/should claim otherwise. But the state is so damn big, and so dam geographically and culturally diverse that its only one type of "Texan". I.E. - I've played a few joints in (north) East Texas where the directons included the line "you come to the end of the dirt road and then you go..."

Don't think they have that in Austin. :g

Listen, relative to the rest of Texas, Austin ain't just "a whole other country," it's a whole other planet. :P

[*]I responded negatory, good buddy, and in the course of clarifing that the reference of my response to Free For All's post was indeed nothing more that a  Raven/Miles reference, I referred to Free For All as FFA.

[*]Clem then took the "FFA" allusion as an opening to quote a Terry Allen song called "FFA", which in this case stands for Future Farmers of America, a venerable agriculture-training program that has been active in America's high schools since its founding in 1928.

Ah! Now I get it... :rolleyes:

And I guess we've got plenty of time to discuss other things while we wait for... uh... what is it we're waiting for now? :huh:

[*]I responded negatory, good buddy, and in the course of clarifing that the reference of my response to Free For All's post was indeed nothing more that a  Raven/Miles reference, I referred to Free For All as FFA.

[*]Clem then took the "FFA" allusion as an opening to quote a Terry Allen song called "FFA", which in this case stands for Future Farmers of America, a venerable agriculture-training program that has been active in America's high schools since its founding in 1928.

Ah! Now I get it... :rolleyes:

And I guess we've got plenty of time to discuss other things while we wait for... uh... what is it we're waiting for now? :huh:

Some fellow named Godot.

Just received this email from hmv.co.uk:

I am writing to you in reference to your order placed via

www.hmv.co.uk for the following item:

Cat.No: 093614

Artist: DAVIS, MILES

Title : CELLAR DOOR SESSIONS: 6CD: BOX SET

We have been informed by the supplier that the release date has now

been delayed to 6th February 2006. Your order for this item will

stay active until the release date, and we will not take payment for

the item until the goods are dispatched to you.

:(

Suppose we should be thankful that it's not 2016!

In-f*cking-credible.

Oh well...

As a preview / tease / set promotion / tribute / whatever, some intrepid soul has uploaded onto the Internet CD1 on the Cellar Door set. The RARed file is 78 MB in size and password protected. To get the password, send me a PM and I'll pass it along to you from the uploader.

CD1 : 24 hours later, link removed. Be sure to check out the RODCAST of the entire set. :tup

The uploader will not upload or distribute in any way any more of the set so please don't ask me to ask him.

The uploader will leave this up for 24 hours -- OR LESS -- from the time of this post.

And for the record, like most of you, I've... errrr... the uploader has pre-ordered this set... what's it been... years ago?

Jim A.: Feel free to delete this post if the uploader has forced me to do wrong.

PS: Unless you're a member of Filecloud, you'll be made to wait before being allowed to download the file.

Edited by Chaney

We have been informed by the supplier that the release date has now

been delayed to 6th February 2006.

I couldn't help myself. I burst out laughing when I saw that.

Gee whiz, it's like there's an auction going on on how late they can release this thing.

Edited by Quincy