I'm Out Of Here.....

Catesta, since you're leaving the state, is there good reason not to consider Arizona?

Oh I see, you wait until you find out I'm leaving. <_<

Seriously, It depends on what your looking for.

Housing costs are still reasonable and the job market is good.

Plenty of future growth projected.

If you don't mind everthing being spread so far out it may be worth looking into.

:lol::lol:

Actually, the thought of Organissimo buddies made Arizona look better.

We definitely need good housing prices and available jobs. I don't know how a first time homebuyer could do it in California.

AB-

Has anyone suggested Oregon's Willamette Valley to you? Portland is pricey but the rest of it has a reasonable cost of living. Weather very moderate. Lots of cultural amenities and universities. Even some jazz. Stunning geography (really geographIES). Wide variety of people. Logs, logs, logs.

I used to vacation in Oregon all the time. Though I haven't done it in a while my memories of Oregon are those of a beautiful state.

I've been trying to talk my wife into considering Oregon. We have some close friends who say Portland is the best place they ever lived.

Minew, I missed your post, but thanks for your suggestion!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catesta, since you're leaving the state, is there good reason not to consider Arizona?

Oh I see, you wait until you find out I'm leaving. <_<

Seriously, It depends on what your looking for.

Housing costs are still reasonable and the job market is good.

Plenty of future growth projected.

If you don't mind everthing being spread so far out it may be worth looking into.

:lol::lol:

Actually, the thought of Organissimo buddies made Arizona look better.

We definitely need good housing prices and available jobs. I don't know how a first time homebuyer could do it in California.

AB-

Has anyone suggested Oregon's Willamette Valley to you? Portland is pricey but the rest of it has a reasonable cost of living. Weather very moderate. Lots of cultural amenities and universities. Even some jazz. Stunning geography (really geographIES). Wide variety of people. Logs, logs, logs.

I used to vacation in Oregon all the time. Though I haven't done it in a while my memories of Oregon are those of a beautiful state.

I've been trying to talk my wife into considering Oregon. We have some close friends who say Portland is the best place they ever lived.

Minew, I missed your post, but thanks for your suggestion!

My in-laws moved to Eugene a few years ago. I've visited several times since.

If you dig the outdoors at all (camping, hiking, biking, etc.) there's no better place.

Also, forgot to mention the wines. They're excellent. Lots of local breweries if you prefer beer.

Ocean an hour to the west. Desert to the east. Two mountain ranges.

Not sure about the job scene, though.

Philly ain't no theme park.

Thank god.

:tup

Sadly, Seattle is a bit of a theme park.

I miss the grit in a big way. Not one person has told me to shut the fuck up since I've moved out here! ;)

I'll make you a deal:

Drive about 87 mi N to Bellingham, and I'll be glad to tell you to go f**k yourself!

( Former LA, Dallas, and NYC guy GLAD to be in the cool green Pacific Northwest! ) :bwallace:

BTW: Seattle may seem a bit of a theeme park to youse, but there are some M********R jazz players up here!!

:party::party::party::tup

Whoa. I lived in Bellingham waaaaay back when before I started first grade. Wow, that was back in....uh...never the hell you mind when that was, damn it! :angry:

My in-laws moved to Eugene a few years ago. I've visited several times since.

If you dig the outdoors at all (camping, hiking, biking, etc.) there's no better place.

Also, forgot to mention the wines. They're excellent. Lots of local breweries if you prefer beer.

Ocean an hour to the west. Desert to the east. Two mountain ranges.

Not sure about the job scene, though.

Thanks Minew,

I love Eugene. I could be VERY HAPPY there.

My biggest problem is finding work. :ph34r:

------------

Jeff / formerly AfricaBrass

P.S. Those cameras make people slam on their brakes at the last second to avoid getting ticketed for running a red light. Stay alert!

Not in Phoenix.

These fuckers just proceed to run the light. It's still dark in the morning when I go to work, the camera flashes at the intersections make you think there is a fireworks show going on.

• 1 month later...

Okay.

Although I have yet to settle 100% on a place yet, things are moving forward.

I meet with my attorney tomorrow to draw up the separation papers for the business. When the day comes (5/31/05), I know I'm going to hate handing the reins over sad-smiley-009.gif, but I'm ready and anxious to start something new. :tup

Okay.

I meet with my attorney tomorrow to draw up the separation papers for the business. When the day comes (5/31/05), I know I'm going to hate handing the reins over sad-smiley-009.gif, but I'm ready and anxious to start something new. :tup

Best of luck, Chris! :tup:tup:tup

Okay.

Good Luck whereever you land Catesta ..

The PNW ( both Oregon and WA ) are a bit pricey, but nothing like LA or SFO ..and the air up here is generally much better than LA.

keep in mind in both states, EAST of the Cascades is a totally different ball of wax than the WEST side ..

The east is cheaper, but it;s a lotta grassland, farms, and the odd White supremacist group here and there ( but nothing like Idaho )

the west is more expensive, greener, cooler, hipper, prettier and more open minded

finally the jazz content East of the Cascades is much less than on the Portland /Seattle/ Vancouver side!

but then again ..I'm predujiced! :w:w:w

If I had to leave my home here, I'd head for New Jersey or northeast PA. Reason is that there is more active jazz in those regions that is readily affordable and plentiful than there is in Manhattan. Reason is that lots of NY jazz musicians live there and there are very active jazz societies and jazz joints thereabout. the New Jersey Jazz society and the Allegheny Jazz societies are each productive of their own and each other's concerts. If you'd like their addresses, you need but ask. :blink:

Whatever happened to Michigan?

If its urban sprawl that is bothering you, I do not recommend New York, New Jersey or most of Connecticut.

Another factor working against those states (and Pennsylvania, I think) is that there are state income taxes. You will definitely take a major hit there.

On the other hand, if you are in Westchester County or Connecticut, we'd be able to hook up whenever I visit the folks. Then I'd be able to knock off another name from my list of organissimo buds. Er, I mean, scratch off another name from my list of organissimo buds. Aw hell, you know what I mean.

Yeah,, what about Michigan?? The weather is fairly mild, and you could come out and hear Organissimo! :g:tup

Chris, just a warning. The Pacific Northwest, although one of the most beautiful regions of the country, is as blue as it gets (unless as was mentioned earlier you want to live east of the Cascades). Washington State for example has a Democrat Governor, both Senators are Democrat, both houses of state government firmly in Dem hands and we also have some of the most progressive Representatives in the House (McDermott & Jay Inslee).

So, we welcome you to Seattle with open arms, but be warned...you just might become a liberal. ^_^