She'll find the note I left hangin' on her door

She'll laugh when she reads the part that says I'm leavin'

'Cause I've left that girl so many times before

Moose, Chris, you are both wrong.

By the time I get to Phoenix she'll be rising

Glen Campbell is part of the problem with this place. ;)

Ann Arbor is a great city, but as others have noted, the cost of living is very high. Of course, I do not know how it compares to Philly. For what it's worth, my wife went to art school in Philly and she loved the town. She keeps saying she wants to take me there soon.

I lived in Ann Arbor for 2 years and I enjoyed every minute of it. But the cost of living eventually got me.

My short list includes...

PA (Philadelphia preferred)

Sorry to offend any residents of this city, but I visited it in January and thought it was terrible! There's a great Belgian beer bar downtown that's worth checking out, though -- Monk's Cafe. Only bar I've ever been to with a tapestry on the wall.

Guy

Guy, I'm curious what did you find so terrible about it?

Edited by catesta

All you guys (including those from New Haven :rolleyes: ) come (back) to Philly, and we'll take you on a grand tour of all the area has to offer, e.g., largest urban park in the country if not the world--no joke/9,000 acres, 3rd largest art museum in the country, some of the most beautiful exurban areas in the country per AAA guide, one of the best restaurant cities in the country per Gourmet magazine, lots and LOTS of beautiful and interesting historic areas, one of the best symphony orchestras in the world, amazing jazz tradition (I could go on and on, but you get the idea) . . . .

But FIRST stop: Alan Lankin's house! :excited:

My short list includes...

PA (Philadelphia preferred)

Sorry to offend any residents of this city, but I visited it in January and thought it was terrible! There's a great Belgian beer bar downtown that's worth checking out, though -- Monk's Cafe. Only bar I've ever been to with a tapestry on the wall.

Guy

Guy, I'm curious what you found to be so terrible about it?

Seconds on the Monk's Cafe recommendation.

I am Philly born & bred. The usual things people complain about Philly: it's old and dirty and redevelopment is proceding in a pretty weird fashion in the downtown area--there are still wastelands 5 minutes from the most expensive real estate in the city.

The town kinda looks drab in many ways because a) the city has never gotten its act together on presenting itself well to visitors and b) it's an eighteenth century town and it's just hard to do a lot of things the twenty-first century demands. So there's a feel to it similar to say, New Orleans or the older parts of London. It seems decrepid. Myself, I LIKE that. But I also used to play in a junkyard.

The town is also still irrationally run in the old style of machine politics--without the money that Chicago and NYC have to overcome the inherent inefficincies of that way of doing things. So one runs into dumbass inconveniences (like potholes on city streets that can serve as cemetary plots and signage that let's you know what mistake you just made).

So, if you like new-built towns and all the modern conveniences built right in and a strong, omnipresent customer-service ethic, Philly isn't really the place.

On the up side, there are many many hidden, underutilized treasures. Natives tend to be unpretentious and helpful (though sometimes gruff), there is a fine park system and clever drivers can generally find ways around the worst traffic.

--eric

Moose, Chris, you are both wrong.

By the time I get to Phoenix she'll be rising

Right you are. The song was such a traumatic experience I tried to forget the words. :lol:

Wow...might as well let the cat out of the bag. Barb and I will be moving as well, but not any time soon. We're talking a year to 18 months out. Like Jeff, I'm also burnt out on the whole California experience, and my other half is finally agreeing. However, it is definitely a good news/bad news scenario. She wants to move close to our son and his family. You know, see the grandkids grow up. And as soon as he can manage it, he's getting out of the Army (yeah, I know; when is that gonna be?) and they've already decided where they're going to live. So it looks like I'm going to end up spending the rest of my life in Louisiana. Jumping Jesus on a stick. Louisiana???? I dunno....

I missed this post last night...

California may be the place the Beverly Hillbillies want to be, but you need oil money to live here nowadays. :ph34r:

Good luck with wherever you go Moose! :tup

Wow...might as well let the cat out of the bag. Barb and I will be moving as well, but not any time soon. We're talking a year to 18 months out. Like Jeff, I'm also burnt out on the whole California experience, and my other half is finally agreeing. However, it is definitely a good news/bad news scenario. She wants to move close to our son and his family. You know, see the grandkids grow up. And as soon as he can manage it, he's getting out of the Army (yeah, I know; when is that gonna be?) and they've already decided where they're going to live. So it looks like I'm going to end up spending the rest of my life in Louisiana. Jumping Jesus on a stick. Louisiana???? I dunno....

Wow. Whatever happens, best of luck Jazzmoose.

cause we're finally moving from NY to RI in the early Summer. Beats the crap out of whatever became of New York. I used to love the city once. Been here for 15+ years. Almost half of my life. Can't do it any more. Too bad. Really don't want to sound dramatic, but this place has finally gone to shit.

dmitry,

sorry to hear you are leaving. What was it that finally soured you on NYC?

cause we're finally moving from NY to RI in the early Summer. Beats the crap out of whatever became of New York. I used to love the city once. Been here for 15+ years. Almost half of my life. Can't do it any more. Too bad. Really don't want to sound dramatic, but this place has finally gone to shit.

dmitry,

sorry to hear you are leaving. What was it that finally soured you on NYC?

Dmitry turned country. ;)

Seriously, I can't blame him. It's beautiful where he is going.

Guy, I'm curious what you found to be so terrible about it?

Seconds on the Monk's Cafe recommendation.

I am Philly born & bred. The usual things people complain about Philly: it's old and dirty and redevelopment is proceding in a pretty weird fashion in the downtown area--there are still wastelands 5 minutes from the most expensive real estate in the city.

The town kinda looks drab in many ways because a) the city has never gotten its act together on presenting itself well to visitors and b) it's an eighteenth century town and it's just hard to do a lot of things the twenty-first century demands. So there's a feel to it similar to say, New Orleans or the older parts of London. It seems decrepid. Myself, I LIKE that. But I also used to play in a junkyard.

Eric pretty much explained above what I didn't I like about Philly. To be honest New Haven (which is a 120K town, not a metropolis) is nicer, and I'm not the Haven's biggest fan. On the other hand I grew up in suburban CA from the age of 10 and my tastes are tainted accordingly.

Guy