Davis S Ware Quartets

Guest che

I am thinking of ordering the album "Freedom Suite" and " Corridors and Parallels" what do you think?

I really like "Corridors & Parallels". I like Ware's music quite a bit and feel like it reaches me, yet at the same time I've found that several of his albums sound similar. But Corridors & Parallels is much different from his other albums. I recommend this one.

I bought Live in the World and really enjoy it. Only listened to it once.....I can't listen to Ware alot because of the intensity level, but when I do its always a good experience. I'd recommend Live in the World as well. It has a live version of Freedom Suite, so you may want to hold off on the studio album and see if you like the live one first.

I've got

Corridors and Parallels

Go See the World

whilst it's fairly visceral stuff I really lost interest following seeing his quartet in concert. They were so surly and moody on stage especially his highly regarded pianist.

Clearly they didn't feel they needed the audience and so since i've not felt moved to try anything else. It doesn't hurt to smile boys.... :g

i'm tying to think who's touted Bergman... maybe Giddins AND Davis? one or the other anyway-- figures.

See, it all links up--a massive conspiracy.

Anyway, if you feel like going on about Perelman & Bergman go ahead & start a thread--I wouldn't have made the one-line remark if I thought it'd end up derailing the thread. Perelman is at least pertinent to a discussion of free jazz tenor sax but I haven't the faintest why you feel obliged to go on about the pianist Borah Bergman in this context.

any info on Booker T. "Go Tell It On The Mountain," also on Silkheart?

None other than that I've heard it.

I like Ware well enough to have not gotten rid of the CDs I have that he's on, but not so well as to be able to tell you want they are or waht, if anything, really stands out.

We rarely hear an interpretation of the Rollins suite and I personally found this recording very good.

Well you have the Freedom Suite played by Branford Marsalis and part of it by Ken Vandermark additionally to Ware.

I did say rarely. I have heard both of the other interepretations as well - I think Ware's version is a little more of an extended version. For those people that generally find Ware too intense (and I can agree with that assessment much of the time) I think his interpretation of the suite has a balance of the structured and his usual intensity to make it more approachable than some of his other music.

We rarely hear an interpretation of the Rollins suite and I personally found this recording very good.

Well you have the Freedom Suite played by Branford Marsalis and part of it by Ken Vandermark additionally to Ware.

I did say rarely. I have heard both of the other interepretations as well - I think Ware's version is a little more of an extended version. For those people that generally find Ware too intense (and I can agree with that assessment much of the time) I think his interpretation of the suite has a balance of the structured and his usual intensity to make it more approachable than some of his other music.

Well, I didn't say often!.. ;)

More improtant, what structure has to do with intensity?

any info on Booker T. "Go Tell It On The Mountain," also on Silkheart?

None other than that I've heard it.

I like Ware well enough to have not gotten rid of the CDs I have that he's on, but not so well as to be able to tell you want they are or waht, if anything, really stands out.

Very enjoyable. Not too far out.

Listening right now to "Flight of I," which i like quite a bit - though it'd be hard to suck with Shipp and Parker on board. Intense playing in spots, but not *too* intense if you know what I mean. And he does a couple of standards to boot.

Guest akanalog

i agree. seems like the FLAM alliance hasn't been too fruitful. seems like there are many many better producers/sound manipulators out there than this guy shipp could have found. or even if shipp tried to handle that kind of stuff himself-it would have been interesting.

• 8 months later...

I saw him a few years ago and really enjoyed it. On the other hand, my experience with a few albums (Flight of I, Dao, Cryptology) is that he goes for a somewhat claustrophobic, relentless ensemble sound and listening to them all the way through gives me a bit of a headache. (FWIW, I don't have this problem with most of Trane's later music.)

Guy

Interestingly enough, I dug out Dao recently and found it to be much more listenable than I remembered. (I listened to it a lot upon first picking it up, then got worn down by the "somewhat claustrophobic, relentless ensemble sound". My nerves have had time to regenerate since then, I guess.)

A nice album. Cryptology, OTOH, is still way too much.

Guy

• 1 year later...

Since I posted here last, I've found that "Corridors & Parallels" and "Dao" are the two Ware albums I go back to most often, along with this live album. "Dao" is really cool....I particularly like Matthew Shipp's playing on that one.

• 5 months later...

Up. Funny to read the posts from Che like, "why do I listen to Sonny Rollins..." :P stuff, but I did just recently acquire this 3-disk set 'Live in the World', and it hits these ears just fine. Ware has such a tight unit with Parker/Ship/Dickey/or Ibarra.

I also dig his Columbia material, especially 'Go See the World'. Some of my favorite playing from Wm Parker is on that first track 'Mikuro's Blues'.

I also have, 'Cryptology', 'Threads', 'Flight of I' and 'Wisdom of Uncertianty', of which I dig Cryptology and Wisdom the most. I'm torn between Whit Dickey and Susie Ibarra though, but I think I have to give the nod to Susie. She's got to be one of the most talented female drummers out there :tup Lastly, I like Ware's sidemen; William Parker, along with Matthew Shipp, are so well-suited for Ware's music.

Threads, except for a few tunes, is a letdown. I know there was a thread :lol: about this before, but it does not size up to the other records mentioned above. Still, I think its worth having and even if its not Ware's best, its still a fairly enjoyable set.