upcoming jazz crusaders set?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of the Jazz Crusaders, there's a great video of a TV recording of some of the 'Freedom Sounds' material put out yonks ago by TCB in a series called called 'Video Jazz'. Recorded in LA in the early 1960s for the series 'Frankly Jazz'. This particular video has about 30 minutes by the Jazz Crusaders and 30 minutes by Gerald Wilson's Orchestra. Priceless !

Tracks include:

'The Young Rabbits'

'After You've Gone'

'Freedom Sound'

May Ann McCall on vocals is featured on one number - not the automatic choice of vocalist for this group, I would think...

Other releases in this series include Curtis Amy/Dupree Bolton and Stan Kenton.

Edited by sidewinder

No - I don't think these have ever been put out on DVD. They were released back in the 1980s I think on 'Kay Jazz', put out by TCB Releasing Ltd (who were then based in Frome, Somerset UK - I think). I'm not sure if they have anything to do with the 'Swiss' TCB, suspect that these are two entirely separate enterprises.

From my recollection, the UK TCB provided a valuable library facility for jazz film rental, including supply to the likes of the BBC.

Edited by sidewinder

Anybody seen that Amy/Bolton?

Would love to see/hear that one!

How ironic that this gets mentioned. Just last night I started to do some audio transfers of videos borrowed from a board member, and the first one I wanted to hear was the Amy/Bolton tape. I was doing it into the computer so I wasn't even looking at the video (yet) but judging from the audio signal, the source was in pretty good shape.

Here are the details:

1) Summertime

2) Katanga

3) Laura (Bolton feature)

4) Blues for Amy

5) theme

Curtis Amy, tenor sax

Dupree Bolton, trumpet

Dolo Coker, piano

Ray Crawford, guitar

Victor Gaskin, bass

Ronnie Selico, drums

Date is given as the 60s, but I noticed that the host mentioned that "Tippin on Through" was the current release by Curtis Amy, so that would help narrow the date down (not sure but I think that was about 1966?).

I don't know if you guys know this... but why did the Jazz Crusaders (the Mosaic set's focus) switch from that style of music to "Street Life" and whatever they are doing now....

?

It was a gradual transition, actually. As I see it, the evolution was equal parts natural inclinations, geographic/cultural environment of the times, and financial consideration.

As The Jazz Crusaders, the group always played "soul jazz" type material as well as the more straight-ahead stuff. Some of the later PJ is full of unabashed commercially oriented material.

Then, being in L.A. and all, they, as individuals, started doing seeion work and got exposed to that scene (and I may be wrong, buit I think they probably had an influence on groups like the LA Express). Their last albums as the Jazz Crusaders & their first as The Crusaders basically had the same type of music - funk-jazz. Now, they were all from Houston, so this earthier appraoch came naturally to them, and although the change was not without its awkward moments, pretty soon they got it right.

This early/mid-70s funk, Texas R&B period is fine with me. The grooves are right, and the feel is true. But as happened with everything else in the 70s, the trend towards glossy and glamorous got hold of them too. STREET LIFE still works fine for me, but after that, eh...

Honestly, though, in terms of how well the music succeeds on its own turf, I think that an albums like CRUSDAERS 1, SCRATCH, & THOSE SOUTHERN KNIGHTS are probably "better" than the PJ stuff. But I like it all, at least until the music began to serve the production, instead of vice-versa.

I think JSngry's post is right on the money. The last "Jazz Crusader" album - "Old Socks..." - was pretty light on the jazz content, and the whole sound was kind of odd. When I bought their next album ("Pass the Plate") I didn't even notice the word "Jazz" was no longer in play. My favorite from that period was "Crusaders 2" - a 2 LP set now available from Japan - long cuts, good solos from everyone.

In terms of the PJ material... The group starts out strong, but after the third LP (the original "Lighthouse" - the one with "Appointment in Ghana") falls off for a period. "Heat Wave" and "Tough Talk" are fairly inconsequential - short tracks, I recall a harpsichord in there somewhere, nothing special. The one with Joe Pass and Monk Montgomery (Stretchin' Out") returns them to form, and, of course, the Buster Williams editions (and subsequent "live" albums, particularly "Festival Album") are strong. So, I think people will mostly enjoy the Mosaic set - it's great to come across music you may not be familiar with, instead of the usual suspects.

Edited by DMP

• 3 months later...

Any news about when this set will be released? The jazzmatazz website has it planned for August but it is not even in the 'upcoming releases' of the Mosaic website yet. For those of you who pre-ordered it, were you given any info about when it would come out?

Edited by ASNL77

I think it was planned for an August release... given that there's no notice on the website... methinks probably late August.... but you can preorder by just giving them a call....

that's what I did... :)

Any news about when this set will be released? The jazzmatazz website has it planned for August but it is not even in the 'upcoming releases' of the Mosaic website yet. For those of you who pre-ordered  it, were you given any info about when it would come out?

How ironic that this gets mentioned. Just last night I started to do some audio transfers of videos borrowed from a board member, and the first one I wanted to hear was the Amy/Bolton tape. I was doing it into the computer so I wasn't even looking at the video (yet) but judging from the audio signal, the source was in pretty good shape.

Here are the details:

1) Summertime

2) Katanga

4) Blues for Amy

5) theme

Curtis Amy, tenor sax

Dupree Bolton, trumpet

Dolo Coker, piano

Ray Crawford, guitar

Victor Gaskin, bass

Ronnie Selico, drums

Date is given as the 60s, but I noticed that the host mentioned that "Tippin on Through" was the current release by Curtis Amy, so that would help narrow the date down (not sure but I think that was about 1966?).

If anybody's looking for this, why not get the Amy Select; it's got that and a lot of other great music.

I'd guess the primary motivation for The Jazz Crusaders change in musical direction was, in no particular order, financial, financial and financial. There's a little George Benson in all of us. I mean you gotta figure anyone who tries to get a toehold in this business is being true to their muse in the beginning. But, once you realize there's not much of a living to be eeked out in pursuit of same and something else comes along that can really change your life, even if it does require an artistic compromise or two and, presto, what do you get? The Crusaders.

Up over and out.

Here are the details:

1) Summertime

2) Katanga

4) Blues for Amy

5) theme

Curtis Amy, tenor sax

Dupree Bolton, trumpet

Dolo Coker, piano

Ray Crawford, guitar

Victor Gaskin, bass

Ronnie Selico, drums

If anybody's looking for this, why not get the Amy Select; it's got that and a lot of other great music.

No, the Amy Select does not have this material, as this came from a show called "Frankly Jazz" and was not issued on Pacific Jazz (although the program was clearly a Pacific Jazz production, judging from the end credits.)

Several of the 'Frankly Jazz' show tunes are included on the very fine 'Katanga!' session, which is included in the Select.

The show was, I believe, sponsored by Dick Bock of PC and during each episode they publicise the then-current product of the artist featured. The Amy/Bolton had a quick feature on 'Katanga' I believe and the Jazz Crusaders show featured 'Freedom Sound'.

Edited by sidewinder

I'd guess the primary motivation for The Jazz Crusaders change in musical direction was, in no particular order, financial, financial and financial.  There's a little George Benson in all of us.  I mean you gotta figure anyone who tries to get a toehold in this business is being true to their muse in the beginning.  But, once you realize there's not much of a living to be eeked out in pursuit of same and something else comes along that can really change your life, even if it does require an artistic compromise or two and, presto, what do you get?  The Crusaders. 

I'll admit upfront that my knowledge of this group (in both phases) is pretty low, but given what I've read about them and heard, it's not obvious to me that they "compromised artistically" in the early 70s -- unless you're going to call their entire career up to that point one long artistic compromise. They made groove-based, earthy jazz in the 60s and continued to do so in the early-mid 70s.

I think Jim made this point more articulately upthread.

Guy

I have just listened to the 3 'downloadable' tunes on the Mosaic website. Waow! I know very little about the Jazz Crusaders but this set looks and sounds very promising indeed. And another plus: You can listen to these 3 tracks in full! :) Much better than 30 seconds on the O'Day set.

Edited by ASNL77