upcoming jazz crusaders set?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't look to me for in depth analysis.  I have a reputation of being way too easy to please.

I got the set this afternoon and am half way through disc 3.  The intitial impression thus far is that I am digging the hell out of this set!  :cool:

Hey! Where's my shipping material, catalogs, and receipt??? :angry:

On the subject of the Jazz Crusaders, there's a great video of a TV recording of some of the 'Freedom Sounds' material put out yonks ago by TCB in a series called called 'Video Jazz'. Recorded in LA in the early 1960s for the series 'Frankly Jazz'. This particular video has about 30 minutes by the Jazz Crusaders and 30 minutes by Gerald Wilson's Orchestra. Priceless !

Tracks include:

'The Young Rabbits'

'After You've Gone'

'Freedom Sound'

May Ann McCall on vocals is featured on one number - not the automatic choice of vocalist for this group, I would think...

Other releases in this series include Curtis Amy/Dupree Bolton and Stan Kenton.

On the subject of the Jazz Crusaders, there's a great video of a TV recording of some of the 'Freedom Sounds' material put out yonks ago by TCB in a series called called 'Video Jazz'. Recorded in LA in the early 1960s for the series 'Frankly Jazz'. This particular video has about 30 minutes by the Jazz Crusaders and 30 minutes by Gerald Wilson's Orchestra. Priceless !

Tracks include:

'The Young Rabbits'

'After You've Gone'

'Freedom Sound'

May Ann McCall on vocals is featured on one number - not the automatic choice of vocalist for this group, I would think...

hey , i'm new to this site but just got a copy of the jc mosaic set. i've always loved these guys (when they were w/ pacific jazz especially) this video sounds great. do you know where i might run down a copy of that. thanks - unzelfuzz

Not to add too much torture but I have quite a few of the Jazz Crusaders LPs on Japanese vinyl and the Mosaic set sounds pretty good in comparison (I think Ron McMaster has done a good job). So far I've spun CDs 1 and 2 and they flow very nicely indeed. The booklet also has a fine essay, with reminiscences from Stix Hooper, Joe Sample, Wilton Felder and Buster Williams.

A real good-un' :tup

• 7 months later...

Anybody seen that Amy/Bolton?

Would love to see/hear that one!

How ironic that this gets mentioned. Just last night I started to do some audio transfers of videos borrowed from a board member, and the first one I wanted to hear was the Amy/Bolton tape. I was doing it into the computer so I wasn't even looking at the video (yet) but judging from the audio signal, the source was in pretty good shape.

Here are the details:

1) Summertime

2) Katanga

3) Laura (Bolton feature)

4) Blues for Amy

5) theme

Curtis Amy, tenor sax

Dupree Bolton, trumpet

Dolo Coker, piano

Ray Crawford, guitar

Victor Gaskin, bass

Ronnie Selico, drums

Date is given as the 60s, but I noticed that the host mentioned that "Tippin on Through" was the current release by Curtis Amy, so that would help narrow the date down (not sure but I think that was about 1966?).

Hi Dan,

I'm a member of a small international group of collectors of recordings of Summertime and that's how I came about this (rather old) discussion about a recording of Curtis Amy. Here in Holland Curtis has been on television on March, 1st 1965 in the same line-up! I've not yet succeeded in obtaining that one, but if you could send me a mp3 or wmv of the Summertime part of the copy you have, I'd be very glad.

Tippin' on through by the way has been recorded in june 1962 with Summertime as track 5 with a line-up:

Brewster, Roy - valve trombone

Ayers, Roy - vibraphone

Houston, John - piano

Whitlock, Bob - bass

Marable, Lawrence - drums

Edclusa

I'm not Dan, but here you go: link

(watch for a dload link just below all the ads)

Curtis Amy / Dupree Bolton

Frankly Jazz

KTLA TV Studio

Los Angeles, CA

Late 1962

although you're not Dan, thanks anyhow on behalf of our group anyway. It's a totally different one from Tippin' on through and I've not yet decided which one is the best.

Hans from the Netherlands

I've just gotten into the first couple of discs of this set over the last few days. My initial reaction is very positive. As John just said, it's easy to forget how good a band this was; nothing earth shaking for sure, but absolutely rock solid. I certainly hear echoes of Art Blakey in their playing, especially in the way Stix Hooper uses his sock cymbal accentuate the beat. As a matter of fact, it's probably no coincidence that Blakey's band was the Jazz Messengers and these guys are the Jazz Crusaders.

I know I've pissed and moaned as much as anyone about the eventual sell out to a more commercial kind of music, but there is not denying these guys could play.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

• 2 months later...

What John, Dave, and Jim Sangrey said. I've finally been making my way through this box in preparation for a show, and it's really quite enjoyable if you like 1960s hardbop and soul jazz. Damned enjoyable at times! I'd like to hear the live records... solos get a bit compressed on some of the studio recordings. This seems like a great Mosaic idea for a set, as in my ignorance I tended to pass this group by, my knowledge of them derived strictly from the later recordings... did not know they were so good in the 1960s. Have gained much appreciation for Wayne Henderson, especially.

• 1 month later...

I have a few of the recently released "Live" albums by this group and their sound is growing on me. Not cutting edge by any means but I feel no less "commercial" than alot of the "Soul Jazz/Bogaloo" stuff from the same time period, stuff that seems to get alot more respect.

I have to admit I am tempted by this set, time to listen to some sound clips on the Mosaic site methinks. :cool::cool::cool: