Frank Butler

clinthopson

Anyone else here a fan of Brank Butler's work?

I imagine because he worked primatily on the West Coast, he never got the recognition he deserved.

A great example of his work is the Elmo Hope discs. He also is on drums on a lot of the Contemporary West Coast jazz discs.

Forgotten,? I suppose the same could be said of Stan Levy and Howard Roberts. I love those guys too.

Yes, I've just started getting into the Seven Steps box and I've been enjoying Butler's contributions to the Los Angeles sides of the original Seven Steps album. If you want to drill down futher, I'd suggest checking out the Curtis Counce Group on Fantasy. Much like Roger Humphries w/ Horace Silver, I think Butler is an extremely underrated and underappreciated drummer.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Frank Butler was the houser drummer at Contemporary Records, right after Shelly Manne. He is on many of the best albums from that glorious label.

He contributed mightily to the Curtis Counce Quintet albums (check his drum solo on 'A Fifth for Frank' from the 'You Get More Bounce' session) and also on the Hampton Hawes 'For Real' date. But there are so many others...

He also led two dates for the Xanadu label: 'The Stepper' with Jack Montrose, and 'Wheelin' and Dealin'' with Teddy Edwards and Joe Farrell.

No flashy drumming there but percussions from a musician really listening to others and inspiring them!

The first Curtis Counce Group LP on Contemporary was his recording debut - still astonishing! Not only technically astute, but self-assured and original! He is quoted in the liner as having said "Man, I feel like cooking tonight!" as he set up his drums. Jo Jones found him to be the greatest drummer in the world at that time. He would have been the greatest drummer on the scene, but his drug career placed him in a prison band with Art Pepper, Elmo Hope and Frank Morgan ...

He recorded a veritable number of dates for Contemporary - Brownie's remark on his being the house drummer after Shelly Manne is to the point. He gets a bit less inspired towards the end of this time span, probably due to his habit, but his playing is excellent throughout.

He played a lot harder after he returned to the scene, judging from his Xanadu albums.

• 13 years later...

Dear Mr 'Clifford Thornton' , surely you are not the only one that hopes to see/views any Live jazz footage with drummer..: Frank Butler,.. If you thinks, there are some other Jazzmen ,NEVER, seen in videos,.!!,. The Clifford Browon+Max Roach, 5t , Davis+Coltrane+Garland+Chambers+'Philly' Joe Jones , Elmo Hope, Hank Mobley ,surely too many to lists,. Ciao fabio .,.-